Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

D

DeaconKC

A very nice nickel Smith and Wesson 19. I took the 19 in a trade knowing I would never shoot it as it was just too nice. And I am a collector of WW1 and WW2 firearms.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This weekend a sporting goods store chain, Big 5, advertised original M1 carbines for the 1st time ever. I was astounded that they were listing them foe $999!!! I have an original fand one of those commercial assembly rifles they remade in the 1960s. Cost $69 in 1971.

carebear

Twitch said:
This weekend a sporting goods store chain, Big 5, advertised original M1 carbines for the 1st time ever. I was astounded that they were listing them foe $999!!! I have an original fand one of those commercial assembly rifles they remade in the 1960s. Cost $69 in 1971.

You can still get them through the CMP for half that.

Twitch

Yeah I'm astounded that they apparently are valued at that high of a price. The bad thing anyhow is that the ammo is ridiculously expensive and there is no more surplus stuff out there. I think there's only 2 companies who make .30 carbine rounds.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Flyer36 said:
My latest addition. Early 70's S&W model 36 square butt.
Clements2.jpg

I had an old smith like that one that had been my grandfathers. Problem for me though was whenever I fired it that skinny little grip didn't offer enough for my rather large hands to grab onto and the thing would rock back in my hand [huh] . Now a 1911 is a perfect fit ;)

carebear

Twitch said:
Yeah I'm astounded that they apparently are valued at that high of a price. The bad thing anyhow is that the ammo is ridiculously expensive and there is no more surplus stuff out there. I think there's only 2 companies who make .30 carbine rounds.

I did a little poking around the CMP forums. Not claiming this is gospel but one guy said the Big 5 carbines were imported by Century Intl. Arms (you can check out their catalog online) from South America via Israel.

Furthermore, another guy opined that the last big bunches of carbines left outside the states are the Phillipines and Korea.

That's the thing about surplus, there's only so much in halfway decent condition that gets offered back to the US to resell.

D

DeaconKC

Rebel, try a Tyler Tgrip, there's a K frame with one on it in my avatar. They really can help those skinny factory grips. They make em for J, K and even N frames too.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
DeaconKC said:
Rebel, try a Tyler Tgrip, there's a K frame with one on it in my avatar. They really can help those skinny factory grips. They make em for J, K and even N frames too.

Dang that makes me wish I still had that thing, I got so frustrated with it that I sold it a few years back. They are the perfect size for a small carry piece.

Twitch

Carebear- M-1 and M-2 carbines were plentyful in SE Asia during my time there, and Thompsons to a lesser degree. There are no doubt quite a lot of carbines floating around.

Century has always been able to dig up old weapons. One time it will be a cache of Peruvian Mausers and the next its Enfields.:)

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
A late acquisition. This one's a five-screw K-frame, on the market before there was such a thing as the Model 10. As best I can decipher, production was sometime in the early '20s. The nickel finish came somewhat later.

cg1ej1.jpg

I also happened to wander onto the Cabelas website, and since it's considered a high crime to put classic steel in ballistic nylon, I had to arrange for more suitable accompaniment.

cg2fi2.jpg

carebear

Diamondback said:
So we're thinking in opposite directions, Marine--while you go "quiter", I'm going for an even louder boomer, by which I mean contemplating converting my 1911 for .45Super or .450SMC.

Do not ask... or if you must, take it over to a search at EOTacForum.

Gotta do it...

Captain Trunk: [Trunk watches Hammer attach something to the barrel of his gun] Is that a silencer?

Sledge Hammer: No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a loudener.

:D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Took a friend shooting today. Her first time!

.22 rifle time
n110800350_30397338_247.jpg

'Pirate/Civil War Pose' (her gun is pointed in front of me, not at me)
n110800350_30397339_724.jpg

She also shot my Yugo Mauser and M-1. She liked them but liked the .22 more, as is expected from a beginner (not a fan of heavy recoil). She had a blast, literally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran