Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

D

DeaconKC

The 870 is so popular because of it's reliability and attitude towards abuse. It will laugh at most any kind of treatment. The Mossy 500 series is also very good. One thing to remember, the 500s tang safety cant be accessed without moving your hand if you have a shoulder stock on it with pistol grip. Other wise, both are great choices for any duty a shotgun can do.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
It's nice to share...

It's great that we can appreciate everyones favorites and the reasons for them being so.

I do love my wheel guns. I have my Colt Trooper Mk III and my S&W 586 tucked away safely.

I did finally pick up a semi auto with which I am just tickled. It is a Sig P226 in 9mm. Accurate and great fun to shoot.

One day I'll figure out how to post pics.

Cheers.

C79

warbird

One Too Many
Custom79 said:
It's great that we can appreciate everyones favorites and the reasons for them being so.

I do love my wheel guns. I have my Colt Trooper Mk III and my S&W 586 tucked away safely.

I did finally pick up a semi auto with which I am just tickled. It is a Sig P226 in 9mm. Accurate and great fun to shoot.

One day I'll figure out how to post pics.

Cheers.

C79

I have a S&W 681, nickel, fixed sight version of the 586. 4" 357 is a fine sturdy gun. I carry mine hunting as a back up especially if hunting something that could hunt back or in any area where something might attack us or that has a lot of snakes.

I trust it and it takes abuse and rain or snow well.

warbird

One Too Many
Not guns but you gun guys make like this.

Riding Crop from 1945. My great uncle was an aid to McArthur and this was made in the Philippines.

DSCN1464.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1471.jpg

My Father's Survival Knife while he was in the Navy. This knife flew over Cuba 15 hrs a day for months and ended up over country in Vietnam. It has since walked with me for thousands of miles over parts of nearly continent.

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1469.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
millbrookmusic said:
Tho' nothing vintage, I do own a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel in ugly synthetic black. I wanted something that my (future) wife and I would be able to use in a worst case scenario (protection). I don't have the $ for fancy firearms at the moment but I've had my eye on the Beretta Stampedes:

466-0614-stampede.jpg

ImmaginiProdottiBeretta%5C2%5C110_elenco.jpg

DSC05695.jpg

I have this identical Stampede in 45LC with a 5.5" barrel. It is a very sweet shooter. IMHO It is on par with the 2nd gen SAA Colt I had same caliber barrel length.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I always wanted an old SAA but I read somewhere you have to put as much money into it as the gun itself. Tuning it with new trigger springs and the like is that true ? I hear the Italians make a great repro is that true ? My firearms are all WWII so the Old West is not forte'.

shortbow

Practically Family
Nay, a genooine Colt is like most other decently made old guns. What you have to do to them today depends on what was done to them in the past. I've owned several that functioned just fine. A good pre war example will cost you, however.

What you read may be true if you're going to pound it heavily like they do in cowboy action shooting, otherwise it's a fine functioning firearm as made.

On the Italian replicas, my advice for quality and authenticity is the Uberti repros.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
one for Uberti

Unfortunately, collectors have boosted the price of first and second generation Colt SAA's far from what I could afford.

Many of these have become what are known as "safe queens".

This opened the door for a company like Uberti to fill a huge need with the growth in popularity of cowboy shooting.

In my cowboy shooting circle I have friends who own more recent Colt's and, opinions are that they are not the workhorse they might have been.

This might be because Colt has long since turned it's efforts to military/law enforcement arms and puts out today's SAA more out of tradition.

I have two Uberti Cattleman SAA's in 45 colt and they have operated flawlessly for three years of competition use. They still have no shakes or rattles.

It must be said that, whether a solidly built Uberti copy, or a genuine Colt SAA, the gun must be set up to take the rigors of competition use.

My two cents.

C79

D

DeaconKC

I got talked out of this last year because it was a safe queen. Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.
Vaquero002.jpg

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Not a fan of safe queens

I really enjoy having the choice of taking any of my pistols to the range.

My Colt Trooper Mk III, Smith & Wesson 586, Sig P226 or my SAA's are all great fun to shoot.

The big kid in me just won't have a toy that I can't play with. Besides, aren't stamps and coins what collecting is for?

Regards.

C79

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
my father recently gave me his old Smith Model 6906...nothing fancy but it gets the job done :)

0902080959.jpg

sorry for the product placement there but it was all i could find...and for the poor quality of the picture...cell phone...

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Smith & Wesson

What's not to like?

Smith & Wesson continues to put out a fine line of firearms that caters to both semi-auto and wheel-gun lovers.

They have even put out a retro line of some of their previously popular revolvers in the "Classics" line.

C79

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I remember back in the 80's Beach City Armories had 2 huge cardboard boxes of Enfield pistols. They had the web holsters and lanyards with them. I thought about buying one but the old regrettable phrase came up " I can always get one later !". Yep still regretting it but I got a brand new Walther P-1 (P-38 Police pistol) at Turners back then for 200.00 bucks ! The P-1 was NEVER fired came with a Holster and 2 mags ! I still have it but the reason it was cheap was it was import stamped and a digit was "X" out. I used it for re-enacting as a "liberated" weapon but was ready to rid of it in case of capture !

D

DeaconKC

Yup, last year traded a very nice Sig220 for a C96 Broomhandle. Haven't regretted it at all.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Here's my little Springfield. Picked it up at a gun show two years ago and from the looks of it- it hadn't had even a full magazine run through it. Since then I've had about 1400 rounds added under my name. I need to have the gun sent in though to see what can be done... after only a year of use the rear sight has become loose enough that it will literally slide out if the gun is laid on either side. Thus the reason I have not shot it for it's second year in my posession. Just haven't had the time or the money to get it checked out. :( Although that is now top on my list as my birthday is coming up and maybe a caring family member will come to my rescue with a cash donation! :D

FedoraLounge1911.jpg

Also! Before I forget. I checked out the thread here about holsters and what not the other day. I'm going to be taking my concealed carry course in the near future. I had been browsing in hopes of finding a good all leather, vintage styled shoulder holster. I shoot left handed so that may be a determining factor as well. Any suggestions??

DerMann

Practically Family
DutchIndo said:
I remember back in the 80's Beach City Armories had 2 huge cardboard boxes of Enfield pistols. They had the web holsters and lanyards with them. I thought about buying one but the old regrettable phrase came up " I can always get one later !". Yep still regretting it but I got a brand new Walther P-1 (P-38 Police pistol) at Turners back then for 200.00 bucks ! The P-1 was NEVER fired came with a Holster and 2 mags ! I still have it but the reason it was cheap was it was import stamped and a digit was "X" out. I used it for re-enacting as a "liberated" weapon but was ready to rid of it in case of capture !
The last time I went to a gun show (in Texas), P-1s were still $200-$300 depending on the seller.

Shame about the Enfields, though. They're supposed to be nice revolvers.

D

DeaconKC

Scuffy, Galco, DeSantis and Bianchi all make lefty shoulder holsters. Several models are "vintage" look, but with modern usefulness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran