Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
W.C.Scott & Son,10g muzzle-loader.
P1030693-2.jpg
[/IMG]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
I tried to use a bigger picture,it has nice engraving.It's nice and tight,shoots great,wonderful old gun.

Gallup,N.M.

:eek:fftopic:
Gallup, eh? I used to live several miles outside of Thoreau and visited Gallup regularly during my childhood. Does Gallup still have its regular flea market on weekends?
I miss those days and I miss the southwest. *sigh*

Nice shotty, btw.

budrichard

Familiar Face
Great Forum! As an avid collector and nostalgia person I thought I would show this British 2" 12 gauge boxlock double shotgun. The gun was proofed in 1939 and sold by Abercrombie & Fitch in 1941. It is roll marked Abercrombie and Fitch on the receiver sides and shown in a 1939 A&F catalog that i have. Griffen & Howe records show that J&W Tolley made the gun for A&F. It is remarkedly in Mint condition and still shoots. I had a British style Motor case made for this gun and a brass round engraved with period A&F style script. The gun weighs 5# 7oz.-Dick
AF1.jpg

AF2.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
M1911s

Couple M1911 questions for you fellows:

1) Is anybody making a reproduction M1911 (with the straight back, non -A1)?

2) Is there a "generic" GI-style M1911A1 on the market? All the ones I see look good at a distance but when you get up close say something like "ACCUR8 45 BLAST-O SPECIAL" in big letters on the slide.

3) If you wanted to assemble a military/government-style M1911A1 from scratch, where would you start? I've heard bad news about military surplus "parts kits" out there.

-Dave

shortbow

Practically Family
Man, I'm really liking these last posts. My kinda iron. As to you NM boys, really is the Land of Enchantment. Growing up, we had a summer house in Cloudcroft, built in 1900 with all the original furniture. Lotso Navajo rugs etc,. If there is a heaven, I'll be spending it in that house.

Caz

New in Town
A few of my S&W's, a Marlin ...and a real Winchester M71 Deluxe Rifle...

2ahqbl.jpg

Various S&W revolvers

2hzr3at.jpg

M24 .44 Specials

2pqqgrc.jpg

M48 .22 mag, SwampRat blade

liloi.jpg

Biltmore hat, Winchester M 71 .348 Win. Deluxe Long Tang Rifle...first year production I believe

2wp439i.jpg

M71 and a Marlin M29A .22LR

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Caz,

that schofield is really cool...it is my favorite 'old west' iron...is that the S&W repro?

holds up well against the ol' Dirty Harry(?) above it lol

Caz

New in Town
That Schofield is...

The Schofield is a S&W Custom Shop reintroduction. It is chambered in .45 Schofield, of course.

The "Dirty Harry" gun above it is actually a M27 .357 mag, not a M29 in .44 mag.

My son won the Schofield in a raffle and I bought it from him at the going rate. Since then, the gun has actually gone up in value about 60%. It was a good investment.

I have an El Paso Saddlery "slim jim" cross-draw holster and money belt to carry it in.

warbird

One Too Many
The Schofield, one variation of the S&W model 3 was a great design. In fact the title of Guns that won the west went to Colt, but S&W had just as much claim to the title. It was superior in some respects to the Colt in that the top break action allowed for much easier reloading.

It also naturally points better than the Colt. The Colt Bisley model 45 is a far superior pointing gun to the Colt SAA.

The Army cav adopted the model 3, was adopted in fact by Gen. Schofield and one variation was made to his specs in 45. The only prob was the Army insisted on it using the 45 Long Colt ammo as they had so much of it and other adopted Colts already in use. S&W instead developed their own ammo for not compatible with Colt's, the S&W was shorter. S&W claimed they couldn't make it right in the 45 LC. Some speculate S&W thought the Army would fall in love with theirs and abandon Colt. They did not and S&W's refusal cost them the contract, thus ending the S&W Schofield. The model 3 was wildly popular with the Russians, who bought many thousands of them.

The Model 3 and New Model 3 variations were actually sold in higher numbers to both militaries and civilians than the famed Colt SAA.

The pistol also had many famous fans including Buffalo Bill Cody, Virgil Earp, Billy the Kid, Jesse James and the Youngers, Teddy Roosevelt, John Wesley Hardin and other who I just can't recall off the top of my head. An impressive list to say the least.

I have shot original Schofield's and newer ones too. They were not as pretty as the Colt SAA, but they were extremely functional, accurate and a solid firearm. That said I don't own one presently, but prefer my Ruger Bisley Vacquero's in 45 LC. However it isn't as easy to reload either.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
if S&W hadn't been so stubborn...oh well...
i do like the reproduction uberti schofields...in 45lc...and they load so much easier then the colts...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Likewise on the comments on the Schofields. I have a Uberti cavalry model and its a sweet gun to load and shoot. I've never been a Colt fan...

Story

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
Couple M1911 questions for you fellows:

1) Is anybody making a reproduction M1911 (with the straight back, non -A1)?

2) Is there a "generic" GI-style M1911A1 on the market? All the ones I see look good at a distance but when you get up close say something like "ACCUR8 45 BLAST-O SPECIAL" in big letters on the slide.

3) If you wanted to assemble a military/government-style M1911A1 from scratch, where would you start? I've heard bad news about military surplus "parts kits" out there.

-Dave

Register and read up at both of these sites -

http://forum.m1911.org/

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Story

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
The model 3 was wildly popular with the Russians, who bought many thousands of them.The Model 3 and New Model 3 variations were actually sold in higher numbers to both militaries and civilians than the famed Colt SAA.

S&W New Model #3, circa 1879. Note the pearl shirt button set in the grip. Supposedly came out of Juarez. Waiting to get back and try some BP .44 Russian cartridges in it.

100_0520.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart