Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Doublegun

Practically Family
John,

I can't afford a G&H either, but a guy's gotta dream. That a great rifle and I really like the double set trigger. I bet it is a tack driver.

DG

Levallois

Practically Family
DG - it shoots better than I can even with iron sights.

I also got this little jewel today as part of my constant quest to stimulate the economy singlehandedly - prewar Colt 1911 a1 made in 1925 - more of a shooter than collectable as it's only in about 80 percent condition. If a gun has a "soul" then it's these babies.

Colt1911.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Levallois said:
I also got this little jewel today as part of my constant quest to stimulate the economy singlehandedly - prewar Colt 1911 a1 made in 1925 - more of a shooter than collectable as it's only in about 80 percent condition. If a gun has a "soul" then it's these babies.

Colt1911.jpg
*whistle*

You have no idea how badly I want one of those. Just like that one!

up196

A-List Customer
1911A1?

Levallois said:
DG - it shoots better than I can even with iron sights.

Colt1911.jpg
Is that a 1911A1 or a Government Model? Looks like the latter. Either war, that's a nice find. I much prefer guns in that condition, you know, not so perfect that you won't want to take it out and shoot it.

Levallois

Practically Family
anon',

all it takes is money and luck - they are out there. These commercial models are a little bit less expensive than the military ones.

up196,

I'm ashamed to admit that I thought that 1911A1 and Government Model were basically the same thing? The pistol has "Government Model" over the serial number. But weren't all the changes made to the 1911 brought out in 1924 effectively creating the 1911A1? This Colt has all the changes. I got to get some books.

Thanks for the replies!

John

up196

A-List Customer
1911s and Government Models

No need to feel ashamed. Today, the names are pretty much used interchangably.

It's a case of the 1911 and the Government Model being exactly the same, only different. Confusing?

The 1911, or more properly the Model of 1911 U.S. Army (or Navy) was a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol built for and owned by the United States Army or Navy and were so marked on the right side of the slide. 1911s were made by Colt's, Springfield Armory (the Government one) and by Remington-U.M.C.

The 1911A1 came along with the changes of 1924 to the trigger, frame and mainspring housing. Aside from a few "transitional" examples that were still marked as 1911s by Colt's, they were marked M1911A1 U.S.Army. 1911A1s were made by Colt's, Remington-Rand, Ithaca and Union Switch and Signal.

The 1911s and 1911A1s were U.S. property and as such were not sold to the public (except at one point through the N.R.A.).

To satisfy public demand, Colt's made a version of the gun for public sale, much like they did later with the AR15 Sporter being the civilian version of the M16. They called the gun the "Government Model" since it was the civillian version of the Government pistol. It was the same as a 1911 or 1911A1 built in the same year, but was marked as a Government Model on the frame and had different markings on the slide. They were not built for the U.S. military and were not marked as United States Property as were the 1911s and 1911A1s, but were intended from the start for public sale to civilians, businesses or anyone other than the U.S. Military.

See? They were the same thing, only different - at least as far as who they were made for and who owned them.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Levallois,

Nice prewar Government Model. It's getting harder to find one that hasn't been bitched up in some way.

For those who wondered "what's the difference?", Colts that were made for the civillian market had a "C" prefix on the serial number.

M

Levallois

Practically Family
up196 and matrioshka,

Thanks for the education and kind words. If it will cool down below 105around here I'll take her out for a spin.

John

Story

I'll Lock Up
anon` said:
@ Story~ I've found no ammo at all to date, but for one gentleman who had some of unknown source. Not something I'd be comfortable firing! If you know of any potential sources, do by all means share!

Today happens to be your lucky day. Check your PMs.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
There is only one Colt that I like more than a pre-war Government Model, and that is the pre-war National Match with fixed sights. If I were to get suddenly rich, that's what I would run out and buy...provided I could find one....:rolleyes:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Need a little help - my Google-Fu is usually good but failing me today. I swear someone posted a photo of a vintage ankle holster made from the upper leather of an old lace up boot on a thread around here - but for the life of me, I can not find it. Anyone?

matrioshka said:
I once owned an odd Winchester '07. It had German commercial proofs, the pre WW1 type. The German owner installed a three leaf express sight and sling swivels.

FWIW, the 1911 ALPHA Catalog ( a German arms and sporting goods retailer) listed the 1907 for 168 Marks.

As an afterthought, anyone else have period catalogs? I think it'd be really interesting to post vintage prices of these weapons and leather gear, just to give us a perspective. For instance, I have a Webley-made Bulldog that retailed for something like $13.50 in the late 1870s, while the Belgian knockoffs went for $7-ish.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Story,

What a neat find. I should have gotten a letter for that one, it would have been interesting to see if it was sold to ALPHA or some other retailer.

M

ETA: 168 Marks was a lot of cake for 1911.

Story

I'll Lock Up
A friend's Hand Ejector that started out life in .455 and was briefly owned by South African 2LT Robert Hugh Sloley, before he was shot down in his SE5 on 01OCT17.
Obviously, it's been through some changes, including rechambered in .45LC.
SloleysSmith.jpg

SloleysSmithname.jpg

Robert was only 20 years old.
sloley.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoy looking at the ads from 25, 50 and 100 years ago they have in the American Rifleman magazine. The $200 Thompson and such.

Hankh

Familiar Face
New kid on the block.
My wife has bought lots of shoes, dresses, a Mont-Blanc fountain pen and a 1941 watch (Longines) recently, so I felt free to spend some money to keep things in balance.

The owner of my favorite gun-shop, knowing my interests for U.S. WWII fire arms invited me 2 months ago to join him on a business trip to Germany. The German guns and ammo company we visited must be the largest one in Europe. They kept hundreds of M1 rifles, M1 Carbines and M1911 (A1) pistols in their safes.

To cut a long story short , bought an US&S M1911A1 (have a gun-permit since 1984), a 1942 Boyt Holster (Ebay) and an Eastman Alpha-2 in Havana Horse from the Dutch Importer.

Very happy with my purchases even more since the little judge found no reasons to argue. -)

IMG_4821A1.jpg

IMG_4824A1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner