Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your late 50s early 60s hats

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
With Mad Men being a heavy driving force in the latest run to the 1960s aesthetic, I thought it high time to celebrate those men that kept wearing hats by having a thread to show off what was still around in the days when hats were disappearing.

Show your late 50s and 60s hats... I also want to see the insides.

It was interesting to se how hats from the later years started color coordinating their sweat bands with the felts by going with black leather in gray and black hats rather than the standard russet.

dean-martin-in-camp-collar.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Another curiosity. It may just be that they were worn and there were probably fewer when compared to 30s and 40s hats. Whenever I find a 60s hat, sometimes the leather is softer, yet it rots faster.

anyone else noticed this about 60s leather sweatbands?

metropd

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Another curiosity. It may just be that they were worn and there were probably fewer when compared to 30s and 40s hats. Whenever I find a 60s hat, sometimes the leather is softer, yet it rots faster.

anyone else noticed this about 60s leather sweatbands?

Yes, exactley. As soon as I put one of my early 60's Stetsons under steam the liner cracked and it burned like I used boiling water.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1969 Longhair Borso

1969...this hat was born in the same year as I was! Rather stingy, but still a very beautiful hat. I love the tall crown and the incredible soft felt finish. Anisotropic light effects galore! When viewed from the front, it has a certain 30's feel to it.

borsalino_long_hair.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Late 1950's Lucien De Brabant Et Freres

This one might end up in the Classified section soon, even though I'm not sure if Loungers from the US are willing to pay the S&H fees from Germany. [huh] It's a size 7.

Lucien-De-Brabant-Et-Freres.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario -

for some reason that Dobbs 20 resonates with me ...

And of course that long haired Borso is one of my favorites.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

metropd said:
Yes, exactley. As soon as I put one of my early 60's Stetsons under steam the liner cracked and it burned like I used boiling water.

Had that happen to 30s, 40s and 50s hats too. The sweat can dry out and crack no matter the era.

Pallas Homburg

This Pallas (most likely a OEM model) Homburg is either late 50s early 60s. The sweatband matches the the felt color. It has that era vibe even though it is a Homburg.

3945100579_d9bd8b992d_b.jpg

3945883220_ae3e4df450_b.jpg

3945883786_24077d9094_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW