Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your late 50s early 60s hats

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
96060430_o.jpg

Bought this one from Rilico, right? A beautifull hat! For some reason I really dig those light colored felts. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Bought this one from Rilico, right? A beautifull hat! For some reason I really dig those light colored felts. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Yes - I used his auction photos as you can see. One of my earlier vintage fedora purchases and now, like you, I no longer care much for this version of the Dobbs Twenty. Too stingy and tapered.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Just got this tan/fawn colored Churchill in the mail today. Came in what appears to be the original box, and for all bits and purposes it looks untouched & brand new - even had that plastic protector foil thing on the crown.

The sweat style makes me wonder if it is a fit candidate for this thread though - seemingly they still made Cavanagh-edged hats all the way to the early 70ies, so I guess it is a possiabilty. Thoughts, anyone?

churchill6.jpg

Nice work on the ribbon stitching

churchill5.jpg

Brim is 2 1/8", crown height ~4" at front center and ~5" side middle at the highest point with its current factory crease.

churchill4.jpg

churchill3.jpg

churchill2u.jpg

churchill7.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
I've inherited a fedora from that era (my only truly vintage fedora, infact) and i've posted it here before. But here it is for good measure.
poor quality pics ig uess, but the best i can do
DSCF0818.jpg

DSCF0817.jpg

DSCF0815.jpg

The inside says "knox", we got it from a really old neighbor when he died.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:
Just got this tan/fawn colored Churchill in the mail today. Came in what appears to be the original box, and for all bits and purposes it looks untouched & brand new - even had that plastic protector foil thing on the crown.

The sweat style makes me wonder if it is a fit candidate for this thread though - seemingly they still made Cavanagh-edged hats all the way to the early 70ies, so I guess it is a possiabilty. Thoughts, anyone?

The sweat and tag are definitely indicative of a Garland-made hat, but I don't know how early/late. Could even be '80s, but I don't know how long Resistol used the Churchill name. I haven't found any hard and fast evidence to suggest Cavanagh Edges were available beyond 1972 or so, but it's possible.

Are you 100% sure it's not a glued overwelt "Stuck Edge"? Doesn't look like it, but one never knows.

Brad

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
Are you 100% sure it's not a glued overwelt "Stuck Edge"? Doesn't look like it, but one never knows.

Good question, to be honest I can't say really, as I've never seen a glued-edge hat so that I could compare.

Here's some pics of the edgework on the Churchill and some from my brown Cavanagh for comparison:

edgecompare1.jpg

edgecompare2.jpg

edgecompare3.jpg

edgecompare4b.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure if you can really take it apples-to-apples, the felt on the Cav is softer and more dense, and the slightly rougher finish after the bump(/"welt") of the Churchill could probably be attributed to simply a less meticulous pouncing/finishing job topped off by the felt differencies. Thoughts?

edit: whoops forgot to resize the last image

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
One of m00's hats reminded me about this Mallory I have. Could be more recent but could be late '50s early '60s. It's got an overwelt. One of the few hats I actually enjoy with a feather in:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

b908_1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:
Good question, to be honest I can't say really, as I've never seen a glued-edge hat so that I could compare.

To be honest I'm not sure if you can really take it apples-to-apples, the felt on the Cav is softer and more dense, and the slightly rougher finish after the bump(/"welt") of the Churchill could probably be attributed to simply a less meticulous pouncing/finishing job topped off by the felt differencies. Thoughts?

edit: whoops forgot to resize the last image

Okay, it's a Cavanagh Edge, just wanted to make sure. Most of the time you can tell the difference, but a late hat like that, it never hurts to double check.

Thanks,

Brad

Sir Tom

New in Town
I really do not care for the Peter Pan looking snap brims on some of these hats.

The more traditional but still stingy brimmed fedoras from this era I find really attractive. Honestly I can tell little difference between some of these 60s fedoras and early 30s fedoras.

It would be interesting to compare the eras side by side.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Sir Tom said:
Honestly I can tell little difference between some of these 60s fedoras and early 30s fedoras.

It would be interesting to compare the eras side by side.

It's all in the crown height and taper. 30's hats used to sport tall crowns with straight sides but reverse back/front taper (of course depending on the crease).
Late 50's/60's hats had much lower crowns with strong taper all around, making it virtually impossible to introduce the reverse back/front taper that was so iconic for the 30's/40's.

Look at the images below and it becomes pretty obvious.

30's (left): tall crown, straight sides vs. 60's (right): low, tapered crown

30's-60's.jpg

m000-m000: Yes, I stole that photo from you... ;)

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
My two cents...

Great late '50s/early '60s hats, everyone...and Mario, yours continue to blow me away. What a fantastic collection...especially that Borso.

Here are the two that I've picked up; I believe they are late '50s/early '60s, but I open to other thoughts:

This one is a Stetson XXX Mode Edge in green. There was a small rust spot on the underside of the brim, and you can see the rust stains on the liner. But it seems under control now. Love the heavyweight felt on this one. 2 3/8" brim with Mode edge, about 6" crown:

P1010003_6.jpg

P1010013_3.jpg

This is my most recent acquisition, a Resistol Jet "Pincher"--basically a pork pie with a pinch front (thus the name). I like that despite the low crown and small brim, they've used a fairly wide ribbon and wind cord. And it's my only fedora on which the feather remains...this one very understated. 2" snap brim with underwelt, 4 1/4" bashed crown:

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010007-2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
This is my most recent acquisition, a Resistol Jet "Pincher"--basically a pork pie with a pinch front (thus the name). I like that despite the low crown and small brim, they've used a fairly wide ribbon and wind cord. And it's my only fedora on which the feather remains...this one very understated. 2" snap brim with underwelt, 4 1/4" bashed crown:

P1010003-3.jpg

I like that jnc! And what a great name, Resistol Jet! It is sort of a pork pie with a pinch front, the likes of which I've seen in some movies. And you're right to keep the small feather intact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy