Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

This is almost certainly a Japanese-made overcoat, and probably from the late 40s or early 50s. The Inside pocket flap treatment I now know was typical of Japanese kit of the era. I bought a Japanese suit yesterday from this era, with these features (not the vertical pocket inside, though) and the stallholder (Japanese) reckons this is typical. Also, he mentions that there is no love for old clothing other than among the hipster crowd so most of grandad's stuff gets tossed out and onto the rag market. This probably explains this overcoat turning up in Canada.

Here's the (late 30s, maybe early 40s?) overcoat I showed off in the What Are You Wearing thread, laid flat. Wool (!!!) corduroy. There are no tags inside.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

The coat is fully lined, and comes with two scalloped, flapped internal pockets in addition to the diagonal watch pocket above the heart. The underarm wear guards need to be sewn back on; I did it once but it didn't hold well. One of the internal buttons is a different colour (but same exact dimensions) for some unknown reason.

IMG_0340.JPG

Detail of left-hand pockets and underarm guards. Mysterious stains on the outside of the watch pocket.

IMG_0341.JPG

I got this coat last spring, and mysteriously, there was an old bus ticket stowed inside the pocketwatch pocket. The kicker? It was for 25 yen. This coat went to Japan before coming back to Canada, but the full story is something I can't imagine. It probably wasn't made in Japan because of world events at the time, unless it was made for a tourist who visited before the war.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Also, he mentions that there is no love for old clothing other than among the hipster crowd
Yet some Japanese collectors pay top money for the most ragged US workwear and denim stuff.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni said:
Yet some Japanese collectors pay top money for the most ragged US workwear and denim stuff.
That has always puzzled me - sometimes old worn out junk is nothing more than old worn out junk.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Hi, I just joined the lounge today for info on a hat I acquired and have been looking over other areas of the forum. I thought I'd share a beautiful coat I recently sold on eBay: 1960's navy blue 100% Vicuna and in beautiful condition. It now lives with a very happy buyer in Tokyo.
It's nice to "meet" everyone,
~Donna

vicuna1_zps4a276675.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk