Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your photography

3CbltBX.jpg

HanauMan

Practically Family
Wow... some beautiful work since I've last visited this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a photo I took today of a massive prominence at the edge of the sun:

View attachment 89994

That is a stunning solar image. Was it thru an amateur or professional telescope? It is amazing to think that the entire Earth could probably fit within that magnetic prominences' loop. I only have a small Astroscan 2001 4'' reflector, which I've had since 1978 and I sometimes take lunar photos with it. Just amazing the level of solar detail you've captured in your image. Compare it to my rather less impressive image of the sun I took, hand held thru a solar filter!

37591246410_8dfa232494_h.jpg

Last edited:
That is a stunning solar image. Was it thru an amateur or professional telescope? It is amazing to think that the entire Earth could probably fit within that magnetic prominences' loop. I only have a small Astroscan 2001 4'' reflector, which I've had since 1978 and I sometimes take lunar photos with it. Just amazing the level of solar detail you've captured in your image. Compare it to my rather less impressive image of the sun I took, hand held thru a solar filter!

Thank you and thanks for sharing your eclipse shot. The set-up I use is amateur equipment, but nice quality - a 90mm hydrogen alpha etalon mounted on a fast 92mm apochromatic refractor. The Astroscan was a very innovative design in its day. We see a lot of them in our public observing events. And you are quite right... the earth would easily fit through the opening under this massive plasma loop. The prominence is more than 150,000 miles long. This image from the day before has an earth disk (8000 miles diameter) added for scale.

cheers,
Alan

littlebigman.jpg

largeprom_101917.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider