Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Oh yeah this too:

2700_1.JPG

For the $10 Club ($5.99).

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Pink, all of your purchases are great! I'm beginning to think you're the one with the trust fund!!:p
I actually peruse different dress shoppes to look at the prom styles. For the past few years, they have been really vintage inspired. I've always loved gowns, and have to use a lot of will power not to buy some of the glamor gowns that I come across. It's so hard, they really are vintagey glamorous, and more often than not, they are much more reasonable than finding an equivalent vintage gown. Zum Zum has quite a few out this season, but Jessica McClintock always has a lot of vintage inspired gowns. Check out www.raspberryberet.com and www.vintagestyleclothing.com They have so many different prom/formal gowns that have a real vintage flare to them. I used to go to a lot of different black tie fundraisers. They are a great way to meet people, and a great excuse to buy/wear a gown.
I'm on fire tonight too. I won these two dresses on the bay, and the first one was only $26! I think that's pretty darn good. The second one has daisy's all over it, perfect:D
IMG_9446_32_1.JPG

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Oh My Sari, that dress is lovely! The color will be stunning on you. At first glance I too thought it was thirties, but upon seeing the lining on the top I wonder if it is earlier than that, possibly teens. I know they still used those linings in the 30's, but all my dresses from the 20's and earlier have that same exact fabric lining (forgive me, I don't know what the fabric is called, it looks and feels like muslin, but I know hardly anything about fabrics). To me it looks Edwardian, one of my favorite eras for clothing, but they can be so very expensive. You got yourself a heck of a deal!!

The seler says it´s 20s or 30s (I tend to think 30s, cause it has a waistline), but who knows maybe it´s Edwardian... hmmmm.... I will go and check for the detailing once it is around.

Kimberley: The description says silk, so it´s not just a treat for the eye, but for the touch, too. Oh I can´t wait to get it!!!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Oh Daisy, I loved that star dress! Unfortunately, it didn't fit either.

I'm glad you're at least getting all the clothes that won't fit me. :)

Shearer

Practically Family
This thread is so funny because sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm using a different eBay than everyone else :p I think I scour good then I see all these great things pop up on here!

Daisy Buchanan

Pink Dahlia said:
Oh Daisy, I loved that star dress! Unfortunately, it didn't fit either.

I'm glad you're at least getting all the clothes that won't fit me. :)

I'm taking a chance with the waist measurement on that one too. I'm gonna have to wear my strongest waist cincher to be able to wear the dress. I'm OK in a 30 inch waist, but much more comfortable in a 31. This one says 29:eek:. I just don't understand why I'm having so much trouble trying to find a 30 to 31 inch waist.
When I was a 25 inch, I usually bought 26 to 28, it seems like those are the most popular sizes, and I'd just either tailor or wear a belt, which worked out fine. I'm so jealous of all of you who can get away with 27 and 28's, it seems like the majority of the dresses I've been coming across are that size. My biggest problem is the bust. When I do find a dress with the proper waist size, about half the time the bust is too small. I've never had the problem of things not fitting in the bust because they were too small, this is a new thing for me, and it's getting annoying. When I was smaller I could get something with a bigger bust and just have it tailored down, but it's much harder to let things out:( So I was so glad to come across these dresses today that should fit in the bust area without the need for a tailor!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Don't I know it, Daisy! I've been finding proper waist measurements with gigantic busts. Some of us just aren't that, well, gifted.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Shearer said:
This thread is so funny because sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm using a different eBay than everyone else :p I think I scour good then I see all these great things pop up on here!

Story of my life! Then again, my eyes start to bleed if I spent more than an hour browsing on Ebay these days, so I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot of goodies.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Posted this in the Sewing thread too, but I just got this pattern today...I can't sew yet, but it was on sale for $1.99 (pretty much all the Simplicity patterns are on sale at Joann's)!
Simplicity50sRetro3780.jpg

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
Posted this in the Sewing thread too, but I just got this pattern today...I can't sew yet, but it was on sale for $1.99 (pretty much all the Simplicity patterns are on sale at Joann's)!

I heard aboutthe retro patterns from simplicity... my grandma was telling me they were like 18 bucks a pop..
i am glad you got one for 2 dollars!
what a deal. make me one! lol lol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Kim_B said:

That is one adorable dress! I love how patterns companies are re-releasing more and more of their vintage patterns. :)

Amelie

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:

I've also got that one yesterday! It really is a lovely dress!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A $30 score! (each)

I had my eye on this item at this great costume shop her in the citay (Hyde and California). It was still there after 2 months, so I said, heckfire, Ill try it on.

Its one of those 'doubble girdles' and its fits sooo well :D Im shocked! Its NOS AND has great metal garters! Squeeeee!!!

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

I tried it on with this great crape dress that I found as well. I was a but sad, cause the dress was a bit too tight in the arm holes. I was looking to see if there was some sort of seam allowence, and I was overjoyed to see that it had been taken in all the way on its sides a good 4 inches! :D

Squeee again. Its missing three buttons, but Ill have enought fabric to make some covered buttons for it once I take out the arms a bit.

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

The owner of the store, who is really nice, told me how he went to Italy to the rag mills, and how this was in a bunch of old German 30s dresses he got. Squeee again!

He said hed clean up some that he had and bring them in in the next few weeks. Yay!!! So who knows, I may have some more lovely items soon.

LD

Kimberly

Practically Family
I am squeeing for you LD!!! That dress is fantastic!!!! I love the color and the buttons. And it is so cool how he got it in Germany!

Please take some pics for us after you alter it so we can see what it looks like! :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

Pink Dahlia said:
Don't I know it, Daisy! I've been finding proper waist measurements with gigantic busts. Some of us just aren't that, well, gifted.

Actually that used to be my problem. But with this round of weight gain, I gained a bunch in the chest! It's so strange to actually not be able to find dresses that fit because they are too tight in the chest:eek: and again I'm only 5 feet tall, so it's quite noticeable. I'm kinda hopin that when I do finally get off the steroids and lose some of this weight that I'll keep the chest. My mom actually asked me if I was pregnant!:eek: I said "yeah Mom, the first Jewish immaculate conception!":p

Amber, those patterns are great! Let me know how the pants turn out, I really like them a lot. I adore all the Simplicity Patterns. I'm gonna have to start looking for those online, the 2 stores I go to to buy my patterns don't sell the Retro Simplicity:( Well, I guess I should probably learn how to sew one of these days!!! I'm waiting for JBD to move to town, I'm thinking that maybe she'd want to take sewing lessons with me?? I guess I have more motivation if I have a friend to join me.

LD, that is quite the score!!! Keep us updated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart