Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love them thrift stores.

My first piece of vintage couture, circa 1960's. I got it a couple months ago, but it needed some repair work, and I decided to NOT go to the first alteration person in town after she told me I should "Just throw away all those old clothes" and made a face. :eusa_doh:

overcoat17_lacroix1.JPG
overcoat17_lacroix2.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix3.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix4.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix5.JPG

and my new $3.25 1950's overcoat that I got today. Gotta love it:

overcoat18a.JPG

overcoat18b.JPG

It looks handmade, very well hand made at that. And this cutie for a couple bucks. Got out of the thrift store for about $5.00 today. How cool is that?

collar_020208.JPG

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful things VB! You've reminded me, I have a ton of those lace collars--I really need to start wearing them again.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I just fell head over heels in love with this dress:

GarageSale_001535.jpg

GarageSale_001540.jpg

It was originally worn as a wedding dress in 1947. I went away to think about whether or not to buy it for my wedding, and I felt sick just thinking about it being sold... so I knew it was love at first sight! haha. Anyway, I'm really happy with it, as hopefully it'll be something I can wear more than just the once (it'll make a lovely summer dress). It'll need taking in a little bit, but it was only $80 and my budget was $400, so I think I can afford the expense :D

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Snookie. always glad to help :)

leaette, love the coat but especially the muff, I've always wanted one like that.

Vintage Betty, wonderful finds, tell me, what do you wear the lace collars with ?

Twilight, cute dress, very nautical.

lyburnum, that is so beautiful, can't wait to see you wearing it.

Snookie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Vintage Betty, wonderful finds, tell me, what do you wear the lace collars with ?

My question too, and also, how do you wear them? Do they attach to your blouse or just sit on top? I think I'd have trouble with them getting dislodged, if they weren't attached somehow.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I don't have pictures but today I bought two very nautical GAP t-shirts, a navy and white stri[e long sleeved one and a red and white stripe short sleeve. I need to get some high wasited dem=nims to go with them. I also found a lovely black/gold turban in a charity shop today!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Ok, I have just returned from Vivien of Holloway where I splurged £85 on a pencil skirt and some rosie the riveter-style overalls. Now, here is my dilemma... I LOVE the overalls and I think they quite suit me (certainly better than I had hoped - I thought I was a bit too lanky to pull them off!) but am I too old at 35 to get away with a look that is this cutesy? Honest opinions please - I haven't taken the tags off yet so they could go back.

RosieOveralls2.jpg

Miss Hannah, I think they look lovely with your tiny waist. If you are worried about looking 'cutesy' you could replace the big buttons with some smaller ones - big buttons (along with thick wooly tights) always make me feel like I am back at primary school. No one has ever said anything, I think it's just the sensory experience of buttoning up big buttons takes me back to when I had little fingers!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I just fell head over heels in love with this dress:

GarageSale_001535.jpg

GarageSale_001540.jpg

It was originally worn as a wedding dress in 1947. I went away to think about whether or not to buy it for my wedding, and I felt sick just thinking about it being sold... so I knew it was love at first sight! haha. Anyway, I'm really happy with it, as hopefully it'll be something I can wear more than just the once (it'll make a lovely summer dress). It'll need taking in a little bit, but it was only $80 and my budget was $400, so I think I can afford the expense :D

It's really, really beautiful.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
My question too, and also, how do you wear them? Do they attach to your blouse or just sit on top? I think I'd have trouble with them getting dislodged, if they weren't attached somehow.

I have quite a collection of old lace collars--I used to wear them all the time but I got out of the habit. It's a very teens/20's/early 30's look and I've been more 40's/50's lately.

There's probably a better way but I would lay collar on the neckline of the blouse I wanted to wear and just add a whipstitch every inch or so--just enough to hold the collar in place.

When I washed the blouse I just cut the stitches so I wouldn't have to hand wash due to the antique collar. I never had a problem with holes in the blouses, but I didn't do it on very delicate silks--they were all pretty sturdy cotton blouses.

I've seen folks add snaps too, but then you can't really wear the shirt without the collar so I never went that route.

I went through my collection today--I'm going to start wearing them again. I'll try to take some pictures too.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Today was .50 day at Goodwill--

This avant-garde quilted jumper by Spirithouse--it is so incredibly flattering. It has these poofs that come out at the hem, and straps and buttons to raise the skirt, and it looks like a flower:
001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

Silk dress by Talbots--it is kind of 40s looking, I think:
004-2.jpg

005-4.jpg

Alphorn dress with huge puff sleeves:
006-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

Cable-knit pullover:
011-3.jpg

faux-Ski sweaters: