Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Mojito

One Too Many
Glad the dress was a hit! It seemed to be a burnt orange kind of a day - the really spectacular dress I also bought is a very similar shade - a long chiffon tube dress, embellished with silver sequins and beads. It was displayed with a velvet opera cape of the same colour, and I picked that up as well (they were too pretty together to part!).

A Gypsy girdle is that drapery snuggly hugging the hips. In this photo it's hanging down a bit, but when it's worn it sits well on the hips. On this particular dress there are two panels attached at the neck at the back that curve around to the sash at the front.

It was $180, Laura.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Glad the dress was a hit! It seemed to be a burnt orange kind of a day - the really spectacular dress I also bought is a very similar shade - a long chiffon tube dress, embellished with silver sequins and beads. It was displayed with a velvet opera cape of the same colour, and I picked that up as well (they were too pretty together to part!).

A Gypsy girdle is that drapery snuggly hugging the hips. In this photo it's hanging down a bit, but when it's worn it sits well on the hips. On this particular dress there are two panels attached at the neck at the back that curve around to the sash at the front.

It was $180, Laura.

I'd pay $180 too! In a vintage shop in Copenhagen that would probably have been priced at around $250-300. Is it mint?

I'm looking forward to seeing the other dress and the opera cape too!

Mojito

One Too Many
Not quite mint, Laura - there are a few tiny pulls on the chiffon bodice, probably where it has been folded and caught on the clasp. The clasp has a slight weakness in the metal mesh base on one side - it's all there (some of the rhinestones look dark in the photo, but that's the angle). But beyond that, it's strong in the shoulders and no underarm discolouration, which are the two usual problems. Nothing noticeable in the way of pinholes, either. The seller was originally asking $350 AU for it, which was a reasonable price for 1920s dresses in good condition here in Oz - I'd considered it at that price at a previous fair, and when I saw it reduced this time I bought it immediately! The prices on 1920s dresses seem to be dropping here in Australia, though - many excellent quality lace dresses, often with the original lining, can be found for around $200 AU. Velvets for not much more. Even the beaded dresses are coming down, particularly for the smaller sizes that are hard to move.

I think the market is finding it's level, and also the recession fears are curbing big spending. There's still a lot of overpricing, though - I'm seeing dresses with significant flaws that the seller is asking $500+ for, and others that are quite lovely but can be had for far less on eBay, even factoring in shipping. A friend photographed me yesterday in the dress and cape - absolutely over the top! I'll post a photo when she sends it to me. I did pay quite a lot for it, but IMHO very much worth it.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:
Had a big spendup at the Sydney Vintage Clothing Fair this weekend - bought three dresses and one opera cape. A friend has photographed them for me, so I'm just waiting for her to send them on (my camera battery was dead). I've photographed this one just on a hanger - it's a 1920s dress with a Gypsy Girdle...a style I've been looking for to add to the collection. I love the Egyptian revival style clasp - although it's a circle, the whole shape is evocative of the winged scarab:

DSC00459.jpg

Gypsygirdle2.jpg
That is a very beautiful dress:)

lyburnum

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I also go these from Primark for the same price;

redshoes.jpg

Again, they're really comfortable (I am able to walk the mile into town & back int hem) and have a 1.5" heel. Oooo shoes!!! I got these in red & black!

I got two pairs of those as well, one in black and one in white.

Smuterella

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
I got two pairs of those as well, one in black and one in white.

I have them in blue, and they hurt - I got the 5 as the 6 was too big and fell off but it may have been an error

hmmmm

lyburnum

Practically Family
One of my pairs hurts more than the other. Oh Primark, what do you do to me?

Anyway, these are all thrift finds from the past week I spent with my boyfriend in Detroit. He was working and at school a lot, so I spent a fair amount of time browsing the local thrift stores.

IMG_0362.jpg

I love this bag. It's hand painted in parts, and I'm guessing 60s, as it's got a metal zipper on the inside and no content label. $6

IMG_0359.jpg

Signed Weiss earrings, on offer for $15 from $30. I luffs them.

IMG_0356.jpg

Oriental scarf and matching handkerchief. $3

IMG_0355.jpg

Velvet kitten heels $4

I also got lots of bits and bobs for the home, but ima post those in the display case.

MissS

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Had a big spendup at the Sydney Vintage Clothing Fair this weekend - bought three dresses and one opera cape. A friend has photographed them for me, so I'm just waiting for her to send them on (my camera battery was dead). I've photographed this one just on a hanger - it's a 1920s dress with a Gypsy Girdle...a style I've been looking for to add to the collection. I love the Egyptian revival style clasp - although it's a circle, the whole shape is evocative of the winged scarab:

DSC00459.jpg

Gypsygirdle2.jpg

Mojito, it's gorgeous! I had the Vintage Fair on my list of things to do on the weekend, but a very sick puppy threw my plans in disarray. Glad you managed to pick up some new pieces!

olive bleu

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
IMG_0355.jpg

Velvet kitten heels $4

oh oh. these are too gorgeous. I adore them. I bought a similar pair in ivory last summer that i wore to a wedding, and i think slides are going to be my next shoe addiction..now that i have bought as many pairs of mary janes and t-straps that one woman can justify:rolleyes:

lyburnum

Practically Family
f84f_1.jpg

I bought these to match the canisters I picked up in the thrift store (shown in the display case). They need a good polish.

111558773_o.jpg

And this along the same theme

And the pièce de résistance
106560990_o.jpg

I am so in love with this! My boyfriend loves it too. It's a thermal bowl with bakelite handles. It makes me smile to look at it. I have a love affair with penguins.

Mojito

One Too Many
MissS said:
Mojito, it's gorgeous! I had the Vintage Fair on my list of things to do on the weekend, but a very sick puppy threw my plans in disarray. Glad you managed to pick up some new pieces!
You'd have enjoyed it, MissS - I wasn't expecting too much, as with two sets of vintage fairs going now in Sydney I'd expected all the 1920s stuff to have been thoroughly picked over. There were a lot of goodies, though! I could hav easily bought another half dozen dresses I liked if funds had been unlimited. Hope your sick puppy is okay now - maybe we can catch up at the next Way We Wear or Vintage Clothing and Textile fair.

Good stuff all around - love those catalogues, Lady Day! Some of the best primary source material around. Lyburnum, that thermal bowl is brilliant! I'm a penguin fan as well - some of the most delightful writing from the golden age of Antarctic exploration comes from Apsley Cherry-Garrard writing about the darling little Adele penguins. We have fairy penguins locally - they're sometimes spotted at our beach, but it's extremely rare. The shape is wonderful as well.

ShrinkingViolet, that fabric looks like it's embroidered!

Mojito

One Too Many
It's worth a day trip, Last Chael! There are two series of fairs running - one is managed by Fiona and Keith of "Seams Old" in Melbourne. This is 'The Way We Wear' - It was getting a bit slow before they moved to a new venue in Hunters Hill - the last one was great.

Dates and venue:

Hunters Hill Town Hall, Alexandra Street, Hunters Hill
15th & 16th March 28th & 29th June 11th & 12th October

http://web.mac.com/vintagecelebrity/iWeb/The Way We Wear/Welcome.html

The other was started by Love Vintage, The Sydney Vintage Clothing and Textile Fair, and is held out at Canterbury. This one is probably a bit larger - next will be 17 - 19 October.

I had a bit of a surpise opening the Good Weekend magazine with the Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday - in the "what's on" column they had a piece on the fair, and a photograph taken at a previous event...it was a gold embroidered 1920s vintage cloche that I later purchased!

Sunny

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
And the pièce de résistance
106560990_o.jpg

I am so in love with this! My boyfriend loves it too. It's a thermal bowl with bakelite handles. It makes me smile to look at it. I have a love affair with penguins.

Oh, my goodness! My grandmother has the very same bowl, and I think it was her mother's. It's a very nice piece, and IIRC, definitely worth money! Good job! :eusa_clap

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet, that fabric is so cute, it will suit your table very well!

Yesterday I bought three hats. They're posted in the "Show us your vintage hats"-thread here. These are two of them. The straw one I actually got as a gift from the owner of the store because I always shop there.

Mojito

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
P1010049.JPG

More buttons! I need multiples for day dresses and blouses.

LD
They're all very pretty, and in such diverse shapes and colours. I love looking at the vintage button stands in antique markets and vintage clothing fairs - it's very rare for me to be looking for an actual button, but when you see them all laid out together in all their diversity, it makes me understand why some folks collect them. It also makes me wish I could sew - it would be so much fun to make decisions on which of them to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot