Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Thanks ladies. I emailed the seller, explaining the problem, but stating very clearly that I was willing to keep the dress and fix it. The seller has just emailed me back asking me to post it back. They're willing to refund the postage, but haven't offered any alternative. Should I ask them for a part refund, or just return it? I don't want to sound cheeky or like I'm trying to make a quick profit!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Just for info, don't threaten sellers with negative feedback, as that is considered feedback extortion and Ebay doesn't allow that!
The seller will know anyway that if the buyer is unhappy they could leave negative feedback, and will most likely try to work with the buyer.

Oh i didn't know that, thanks for the info Drappa.

Kate - Tricky one. Could you email them again and say you would really like to keep the dress, but it would be only fair that they refund you something as a goodwill gesture. Even if it is the cost of postage and some pennies towards the repairs. I mean they must have noticed it was damaged if it has tears in it. I know what you mean about not wanting to sound cheeky, but you want the dress, so i would go for it. If they don't go for that, then sadly i would return the dress to them. Sigh.

Drappa

One Too Many
I don't know what I'd do. I guess if they aren't willing to do a partial, then I'd send it back just on principle. They obviously don't believe you, or think they can resell it for the same amount or higher. Did they offer to pay for the return shipping as well? If so, send it back, another Swirl in great condition will come along soon. I guess sellers do get scammed a lot these days, but I'd still give my buyers the benefit of the doubt. Having said that, we were walking around charity shops yesterday, and in two people were trying to bargain (!) and get money knocked off a £3 pair of trousers, "because they weren't ironed"...
If the seller had any of those s/he may just not do partials anymore and rather refund completely.
I recently got a Horrockses set that had tons of undisclosed stains on it, and most didn't come out in the wash, but I still wanted to keep it so didn't even contact the seller about it. I read their listing again and it didn't have that many pictures, nor did it say mint condition, so I figured I should have asked more questions and just mentioned it in my feedback, which was still positive. In retrospect I should have left a neutral or asked for a partial refund.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Drappa - I get that in my shop, people trying to make me an offer on something that is only a couple of quid, or in the reduced basket for tuppence...i ask you!

I think alot of sellers take advantage of the fact that most buyers don't want to rock the boat and complain, or go through the hassle of starting a case on ebay, if an item say, has a couple of small defects that have not been advertised as such. I'm not knocking any of the sellers, i have been lucky mostly, but it happens to me regularly too, that i get something with a stain or a small defect, which was advertised as mint, like my dress and i just can't be bothered to make a song and dance about it most of the time. It's still frustrating though. I did complain about the dress though, as the girl was a new dealer and i wanted to give her some constructive criticism, as not everyone is as reasonable as i am, and she was very sweet when i dealt with her, also it wasn't cheap and i had to replace all the buttons.

Was your Horrockses, that lovely brown and pink one with the bolero jacket, sold by Lorraine on ebay, if i can be rude and ask, it's just that i have bought a few lovely dresses from her which have been advertised as mint and they have both had stains on. I didn't complain as they were a fair price and luckily one came out with cleaning and the other is not noticeable really unless you scrutinise it closely. I just figured she is a busy woman and they slipped through the net, that's how i justified it to myself, although it does rankle a bit.

Kate - i think if the seller doesn't respond positively, then i would send the dress back. Drappa is right, there will be other dresses but it's so tiresome when you have something you really want to keep!

Drappa

One Too Many
It was the blue and brown one with the bolero, but I can't remember the seller's name right now. I figured it slipped through because the skirt has a lot of volume and it might get lost in the folds. But there were quite a few, sime look like rust stains.
So annoying when that happens.

To bring this thread back on track, I got this dress today at TKMaxx (we had to go to return something for hubby, but of course I got distracted) and even though it's modern, it has amazing bust details that remind me of a vintage pattern I just lost out on the other day. It also fits like a glove.

fe4638a9.jpg

a105cf59.jpg

f5715bba.jpg

656e02bf.jpg

Last edited:

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
I almost can't believe I just won this on eBay (the seller accepted my best offer, which I thought was pretty low)

It's (my guess) a late 30's silk dress with a dolman bust / kimono sleeves:

new_dress_02.png
new_dress.png

Amie

One of the Regulars
Just wondering, since I don't do much vintage clothing shopping, do you ever come across actual vintage dresses or own a dress that might have been home sewn?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Ooh that's pretty, and yes, so handy for pairing with all your beautiful dresses, i was just admiring a coral coloured one in a shop on my walk home from work just now.

I feel the urge for an angora shrug like our new Duchess was sporting with her evening gown too!

Drappa

One Too Many
I love shrugs and cardis with dresses, good buy Miss G! And FYI Miss S, I have a black angora shrug for evening wear from Monsoon ages ago, but those things are so warm to the point of being uncomfortable. I can only really wear mine in the winter, and even then not for too long, and I am usually always cold.

I went thrifting the last few weeks and got these earrings, but not sure how old they are. I thought they may be 50's and lucite, as they have a marbled effect in the petals:
939d1c5e.jpg
e827dcba.jpg

I also found this blouse the other day, and although it is most likely 80's, the print looks very much like some 50's barkcloth fabric I recently lost out on. I'm planning to make a white circle skirt some day to go with it.
bd0ee7d9.jpg

ON the weekend we went to Winchester again and found a lovely vintage shop where almost all day dresses are £10, so I got this dress
3afb191d.jpg

70856165.jpg

And my Topshop coat arrived today and I love it so! Again, I think the print is very 50's, and it reminds me of the Trashy Diva Courtney coat dress
6d8d0bd1.jpg

9b63dd8a.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Lovely items Drappa, i love the dress, such pretty colours!! The earrings certainly look very fifties to me because of the shape and the marbling, but i'm no expert, even so they will still look great regardless.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Amie, yes, I have lots of handmade things! I even have one adorable 1900s or 1910s nightgown with initials carefully sewn in. I actually didn't start buying things with labels 'til fairly recently; I think it might have to do with living in a rural area, where there were more isolated farm families who sewed their own? Just a theory.

OK, I just bought this lot on eBay; they all need some TLC, but I think that weird green thing is a pair of 1930s BEACH PAJAMAS... I won't know 'til they arrive, but it's worth the gamble. I'm pretty sure a few of those other dresses are 30s/40s too; can't wait 'til they arrive!
...Link here...

Edited because I forgot to say Drappa, I'm loving everything you found!! What a bunch of bright pretty colors; you're all set to welcome spring! That coat has a distinctly 1950s look too; very chic.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
MissChloeCorville - thank you (although I can't see a photo!) and welcome to the Lounge!

Ok, I'm done for the next while after this - I saw this last night and instantly fell in love with it - I have such a weakness for polka dots:

il_570xN_240186215.jpg

il_570xN_240170772.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari