Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I did alright today. I found this dress that is driving me crazy dating wise though. It is slightly faded, has the buttons that were so popular in the 40's and the original places for the shoulder pads looks like the same fabric that is on my 40's suits (someone put in newer ones that I am going to take out. The dropped waist and elastic banding is throwing me off though. [huh]

greendress.jpg

This is a hat I got at the auction last night in there pre-sale. I LOVE it and it's now my favorite hat that I own. Now I just have to find a place to wear it. :p

blackhatlace.jpg

A vintage beaded purse with a Lucite handle ($5.00!!)

lucitepurse.jpg

Get this. I got my sailor pants that I paid a good amount for and tried them on and they are far too big for me. While I was at the thrift I happened to glance at the pants and what was there right in front???? SAILOR PANTS that actually fit me for $2.00!!!!!!!! I bought them of course, but I am no even more bummed about spending the money I did on the others. I am going to have to sell them on eBay and hope I can get some of the $$ back. :rolleyes:

Kimberly

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
Eeek!

Kimberly that bag is wonderful!

You're killin' me!!!

Where do you get so lucky with your treasures???

Thanks! :)

I spend hours combing thrift shops. It has taken me a couple of years but I can now spot out vintage on a rack of clothes in a matter of seconds. I have also bought a Chanel suit, a Leonard silk dress and many other designer outfits for $10.00 or less! I buy them, decide I don't like them and then promise I am going to sell them on eBay. I will one of these days. lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marquis, all your dresses are so very pretty, and you look lovely in them:) I really love the green, and the white with the black piping is the tops!! It was so nice of the original woman to contact you when she found it didn't fit her. Proof that there are still good people in the world!!
Congrats on the engagement too!! This is so exciting, so many lucky gals here have recently gotten engaged/married. Keep us up to date with your wedding/eloping plans.

Kimberly, you got yourself some great finds. That white bag is beautiful.

I've been getting packages in the mail every day. It's like having the eight days of Channukkah in April!!:D I got the blue knit dress with the beaded neckline and the matching bolero that I posted earlier in this thread, and I'm so incredibly happy with it. It fits like a dream and is in excellent condition. It's so comfortable, I put it on immediately because I couldn't wait to wear it. I got the cotton suits as well, they are also both lovely. This is the first time in a while that my ebay finds are exactly if not better than the seller has described. I usually have bad luck and end up buying from sellers who don't know how to properly measure. So, I'm even more thrilled that so far everything I have received has fit perfectly. Yippee, makes me want to jump on the bay right now and buy more!! But, with Jitterbugdoll in town and Hemingway Jones at work all day, she and I have nothing to do but shop:(!:eek: I have a feeling she and I are gonna get in a lot of trouble once she moves here permanently. We just have way too much fun vintage shopping, and we're not the same size so there's no competition. She has a really good eye too and has found me some incredible things. I thought shopping was fun before, but now it's even better!!:D

Kimberly

Practically Family
Wooo Hooo Daisy!!! I am so happy the dresses fit you. I bet you look fantastic in the blue knit one, I knew it would look incredible on you the moment I saw it!

Have fun shopping and don't feel too guilty. Look at it this way. You are doing the vintage community a service by buying those clothes. If you didn't than they could potentially sit on a rack for months never to be discovered. You are a walking billboard for high quality clothes that never go out of fashion because they are timeless and well tailored. You and JBD need to buy those clothes to remind people that at one time in this country, there were actually high quality clothes hand tailored in the good old U.S.A and not in some sweat shop in China. Hold your head high as you give them your credit card and remember you are doing it for the good of the people. ;)

Yes, I have had wayyyyy too much coffee this evening and this is actually some of the things that go on through my mind as I am justifying yet another purchase. :p

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Kimberly said:
Get this. I got my sailor pants that I paid a good amount for and tried them on and they are far too big for me. While I was at the thrift I happened to glance at the pants and what was there right in front???? SAILOR PANTS that actually fit me for $2.00!!!!!!!! I bought them of course, but I am no even more bummed about spending the money I did on the others. I am going to have to sell them on eBay and hope I can get some of the $$ back. :rolleyes:
You should do what that other buyer did for marquise, and contact the second highest bidder and see if they still want them.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Tough Cookie said:
You should do what that other buyer did for marquise, and contact the second highest bidder and see if they still want them.

Sadly I didn't get them on eBay, but through a regular vintage online store that doesn't take returns. :rolleyes: Oh well, lesson learned. I think going foward I am only going to buy from actual stores where I can try things on. lol

Kimberly

Practically Family
I SCORED BIG TIME today ladies.

First off, I went to a yard sale and found nothing, it was so pathetic I don't even know why they put an add in the paper. I went to another one and yet again, nothing.

The 3rd one I was very excited about because it was at an antique store and a multi-family yard sale (I figured they would all be dealers). Anyhow, I got this adorable sewing tin, a vogue fashion print framed from 1916, a small compact with mirror and just as I was leaving, I spotted two hat boxes in the corner in the back of the table. I asked the lady if the hat boxes were for sale and she said yes. I asked her how much each one was and she didn't know (she had to go ask the guy). The guy was in the midst of working on a deal for some very expensive furniture that he wanted to get rid of and I don't think he was thinking properly because he said $3.00 each. Without blinking I bought them (at this point I thought they were empty hat boxes, but I needed them due to my recent purchases. lol ).

Anyhow, while I am driving I decide to open up one box and guess what was in there!! :eek:

First here is a picture of the box.

brownboxrevised.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
Hat number one:

blackpplfeathers.jpg

Hat number two:
pink.jpg

Hat number three:
blackold.jpg

Hat number four:
brownfeather.jpg

Misc Accesories: I have no clue what the black thing is. [huh]
snoots.jpg

Now onto box number two!! :eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Box Two: The box and all the hats in this one was also $3.00!!

pinkboxrevised.jpg

Hat Number One:
NEW WITH TAGS!!
redwhite.jpg

Hat Number Two:
blackwhitestraw.jpg

Hat Number Three:
bluestraw.jpg

Hat Number Four:
greenhat.jpg

Hat Number Five:
pinkhatrevised.jpg

Total cost for both hat boxes and the hats above $6.00!! :eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
After I was so excited about my hats that I almost caused an accident, I decided to go to my thrift. I wasn't really into it though because I was too exicted about my hats.

This is what I bought.

Vintage pocket book w/ bakelite. Needs to be cleaned up and polished.
blackpocketbookbakelite.jpg

Vintage inspired rockabilly/westers dress. Fits me like a dream!! :eusa_clap
dressrockabilly.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
Kimberly, what finds! The Schiap box is a dream!

I was at three or four places this week looking for hat boxes because two of my hats had no homes... the second place I was at the guy who was there said, I used to have 6 or 7 boxes, I don't know where they went..."

"They're on eBay selling for $50," I told him. I was watching a hat box on there this week (I want to say it was Halston, but I don't remember) and when it went up to $60 I just quit checking :rolleyes:

And hat Number 4 from the first box is a knockout!

:eusa_clap :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
This was my purchase for today (besides trash bags and gardening gloves):
51tswXwXHbL__SS500_-1.jpg

She-Ra Princess of Power: Season 1, Volume 2 :D I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!!!!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
:eek: KIMBERLY!! I can't believe those hats! Are any of them actually by Schiaparelli?

Not that I am aware of, a couple of the older ones don't have tags though but I am thinking Schiaparelli was more popular in the 60's to 80's.

Well I think I found out what the black thingie on the right of my accesories photo is. It is a little purse they used to carry a small purse for cards of who it was they were going to dance with next and put them in tiny little crochets things such as what is in the photo. :eusa_clap

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kimberly said:
Not that I am aware of, a couple of the older ones don't have tags though but I am thinking Schiaparelli was more popular in the 60's to 80's.

Well I think I found out what the black thingie on the right of my accesories photo is. It is a little purse they used to carry a small purse for cards of who it was they were going to dance with next and put them in tiny little crochets things such as what is in the photo. :eusa_clap

Schiaparelli was actually a contemporary of Coco Chanel's, so even the older ones could possibly be by her. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo