Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

DrMags

New in Town
BeBopBaby said:
That looks like a Victorian settee to me, I don't think your antique guy knew what he had! It's definitately not 20s-40s, they style is all wrong for that. Even better, because it enabled you to get it for a steal. The apolstery looks new and the cost alone to reapolster something like that would have been an arm and a leg.

Yup the upholstery is in fact new, he said the previous owners had it completely redone. There was a matching lounge that had a swan in the wood (back of the chair), very art nouveau and gorgeous. I don't think the two originally came together, but they were sold by the same couple.

Victorian? You really think it could be that old? It was only 200 bucks!!!!:D

$ally

One Too Many
fernande said:
Oh! and I also bought this cool Pattern.! Its for "Costume Sleeves" How cool is that! This is totally out of my league sewing wise but I thought it was so neat and I bought it for $6.00. so that didn't break the bank. Its just for sleeve patterns- and its marked for a 34 bust- but its a sleeve? I'm usually a 36 or a vintage size 18- how would I make this work/expand Lauren? Sally? Other Sewing Goddesses?
That's a very cool find. Why don't I ever happen upon patterns like that?
As long as the wrist isn't too tight, or short, you could just extend the shoulder curve to match the armhole of the dress, then taper it to to the rest of the sleeve. Other wise, you could get a roll of tracing paper, then outline the pattern piece to a larger size. I'm not sure I explain myself well? I know what I mean...
It's not out of your league, just practice. Don't let it intimidate you. Most of us keep working with scrap fabric or cheap muslin until we get it to work.

ShortClara

One Too Many
DrMags that is DIVINE!! May I come over to lounge upon it? Pretty please?

and $ally, I LOVE Lanz dresses! They do have the date in the tag sometimes, and I just find the cut and fit of those dresses to be wonderful, at least for my figure.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
DrMags said:
Photo_082507_001.jpg

The guy in the antique shop said he was pretty sure the era was between 1920s-1940s. All I know is I got it for a steal, couldnt believe it was that cheap. I've bought shoes that cost more.

GASP..................SWOON

Mags, it's beautiful.

$ally

One Too Many
Eleanor Marie said:
These are my new shoes from Marks and Spencers. They have a special insole to help keep your feet from hurting..... I'm pleased so far and its a relatively high heel for me
CUTE!
ShortClara said:
and $ally, I LOVE Lanz dresses! They do have the date in the tag sometimes, and I just find the cut and fit of those dresses to be wonderful, at least for my figure.
1261592072_67cda320a5_m.jpg

'58 was a good year too (for dresses and cars). It doesn't look at all like other Lanz I've seen. The label is sloppily hand-stitched in, not the usual dark top and bottom stitch of Lanz Originals. So either the label came out and the owner tacked it back, or a reseller put it in another vintage dress. I need to replace the metal side zipper, but the rest of my repairs are done. I can't wait to wear it.

fernande

Vendor
$ally said:
That's a very cool find. Why don't I ever happen upon patterns like that?
As long as the wrist isn't too tight, or short, you could just extend the shoulder curve to match the armhole of the dress, then taper it to to the rest of the sleeve. Other wise, you could get a roll of tracing paper, then outline the pattern piece to a larger size. I'm not sure I explain myself well? I know what I mean...
It's not out of your league, just practice. Don't let it intimidate you. Most of us keep working with scrap fabric or cheap muslin until we get it to work.

Setting in sleeves is always hard for me. I'm going to give it a shot, with the matching to the armholes idea- I'm one of those people, that if I think I'll adore something, eventually, I'll try to buy it- this is always the case with Vintage- because I know I'll probably never see whatever it is I'm after again.
So I've bought Pattern Drafting Books for advanced seamstresses, and I'm definately in the beginners range- its like looking at quantum physics textbooks- but I figured "heck, in one year I'll really like this"

Dr Mags- I loooooooooooove your chaise/sofa wow!!!
I will have to post something in Nov.
"Vintage Parents" are renting out my grandmother's house, a beautiful house that has recently just been sort of a "playhouse" for mom and her collection of dolls (yes my mom is one of those "weird doll people"- (joking, no offense-if there are any "doll people" here- I just get images of "chuckie" in my head whenever I've around them) but they decided to rent out the house, so all the furniture has to go- and most of its from the 1880s-1940s
and I'm the newlywed with hardly any furniture- so I'm getting a shipment of awesome Art Deco and Shabby Chic! yippie!
will post when it arrives. I'm so excited-

Josephine

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Ooh! I want to see! They are even more special as you inherited them. :D

Well, since you insist... ;)

This is Grandmama's (great grandmother, born in 1899) dress, I'm actually not sure if it was hers or not as she was a short woman and it's only maybe 4 inches from the floor on me and I'm 5' 10". It's handmade and I'm thinking of lowering the neckline a bit by just tacking further down the seam and opening it up. The top of the shoulders are smocked.

GMaDress.gif

I have two furs that used to be hers, one is rather coarse for a fur (IMO), and the other is silky smooth. The second has a type of sleeve/cuff, plus some sort of 'strap' that I guess you could put your arms through if you wanted to have your arms free, or wear it more like a cape. It also has a little hook in the front to close it.

GMaFur1.gif
GMaFur2a.gif

GMaFur2c.gif
GMaFur2b.gif

My husband's father's family is from Evanston, Indiana, and his Great Aunt was apparently the one who stayed single and "lived life" in the 1920's. I have a mesh purse of hers that I need to get a silver polishing cloth and polish the top part.

Purse.gif

I hope to get my Grandmama's hats soon, my mom has those. Too bad I didn't ask her to bring them when she came up this weekend! :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:

Everything is beautiful but I'm in love with this dress! Look at that color!

You're so lucky your grandma saved all these things. My grandmother was a real clotheshorse but she gave all her old things to a community theater group in the early '70s thinking no one would ever want all those "old things". Breaks my heart everytime I think about it.

Josephine

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Everything is beautiful but I'm in love with this dress! Look at that color!

I'm sorry about losing all your grandmother's things. :( We were able to save somethings when Grandmama moved into assisted living, but that was over 10 years ago, and near 10 years since she died so what we have is few and far between. I'm going to a second cousin's wedding in October and I'm trying to find a way to let my older relatives know if they start cleaning out their closets/houses that I would love to have their things, but not sound all gimme gimme gimme!!! :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love that dress!

I also had a grandma who didn't save much. I did receive a diamond watch and some handkerchiefs, but my brother's didn't receive anything, so I gave them her hankies. Unfortunately, a contractor at our house stole all my vintage jewelry, which included the only thing I had left of my grandmas - her diamond watch. :rage: Everything else went to the nearby relatives.

As for being subtle with relatives - don't.

My relatives knew I LOVE vintage clothing and they still gave all my aunt's hats and clothing to charity. My selfish cousin refused to share anything with me that was left (and there was a lot). Fortunately, my other cousin "smuggled" some small items out of the house, and I got her bakelite clock and matching comb set along with some vintage pictures. I also got my Uncle's cheap timex travelling clocks, but again, my brother's didn't get anything, so I gave the clocks away to them.

Vintage Betty

DrMags

New in Town
ShortClara said:
DrMags that is DIVINE!! May I come over to lounge upon it? Pretty please?

Haha if youre ever in seattle sure.

Grnidwitch said:
GASP..................SWOON

Mags, it's beautiful.

Haha I know. I was in the store with my 13 year old little brother and he didn't get it. I practically swooned myself, he said "what, its a uncomfortable couch". hehe

$ally

One Too Many
Oh how wonderful, thank you for sharing these. I love to see families hang on to those things. Besides having very old vintage that we are all jealous about, you have the sentimental value.
I inherited a chain purse too, it's a gate mouth.

Josephine said:
Well, since you insist...
This is Grandmama's (great grandmother, born in 1899) dress, I'm actually not sure if it was hers or not as she was a short woman and it's only maybe 4 inches from the floor on me and I'm 5' 10". It's handmade and I'm thinking of lowering the neckline a bit by just taking further down the seam and opening it up. The top of the shoulders are smocked.
I have two furs that used to be hers, one is rather coarse for a fur (IMO), and the other is silky smooth. The second has a type of sleeve/cuff, plus some sort of 'strap' that I guess you could put your arms through if you wanted to have your arms free, or wear it more like a cape. It also has a little hook in the front to close it.
My husband's father's family is from Evanston, Indiana, and his Great Aunt was apparently the one who stayed single and "lived life" in the 1920's. I have a mesh purse of hers that I need to get a silver polishing cloth and polish the top part.
I hope to get my Grandmama's hats soon, my mom has those. Too bad I didn't ask her to bring them when she came up this weekend!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't visited this thread in so long and I'm amazed by all of your incredible purchases/inheritances!! You ladies all have such good taste and will look beautiful in all of your vintage goodies.

I had taken a very long break from buying. I was trying to save up so I can have some spending money for my upcoming trip to France/Monte Carlo and also since I was sick I didn't know what my weight was gonna be. Weight loss is about the only good thing about getting sick!!
But, my hiatus is over:( I just couldn't go on any longer. I've won a few pretty things on ebay over the past few weeks, but I don't have pics of them yet, but tonight I won 2 more dresses.
The first one is in great condition but needs to have the underlying hem redone, not a big deal and a steal at $15.49!!

This one is gonna need some fixing, but I think this too was a very good price. It's got a few little bigger than pin holes, and some seams that need fixing, but I don't think it's anything that I can't handle.

I LOVE this one! It reminds me of Deann a Durbin.
Welcome back Daisy! Glad your feeling better!!

Daisy Buchanan said:
I haven't visited this thread in so long and I'm amazed by all of your incredible purchases/inheritances!! You ladies all have such good taste and will look beautiful in all of your vintage goodies.

I had taken a very long break from buying. I was trying to save up so I can have some spending money for my upcoming trip to France/Monte Carlo and also since I was sick I didn't know what my weight was gonna be. Weight loss is about the only good thing about getting sick!!
But, my hiatus is over:( I just couldn't go on any longer. I've won a few pretty things on ebay over the past few weeks, but I don't have pics of them yet, but tonight I won 2 more dresses.

This one is gonna need some fixing, but I think this too was a very good price. It's got a few little bigger than pin holes, and some seams that need fixing, but I don't think it's anything that I can't handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner