Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Vintage Verve

New in Town
Josephine said:
Remember this hat? I got it today, but it's a bit squished from being in a mailing envelope. What do you suggest I can do to get it back into shape?

P1030904.JPG

Why, wear it of course darling! lol

Maybe around the house for a couple of hours first if it is too rumpled to be seen out of doors.

Or maybe place it over an inflated balloon and rest it in your bathroom while you have a steamy hot shower?

Sunny

One Too Many
More shoes! Black oxfords this time - but these don't look very run-of-the-mill to me. Cutouts galore, and peeptoes. Can anyone date them specifically? I'm guessing mid- to late-30s, up to very early 40s.

196726597_o.jpg

Also, a suit! For $25 including shipping! I'm guessing this one is early 1950s, because of the small jacket waist, lack of shoulder padding, and gored flared skirt.

247d_1.jpg
2570_1.jpg

Pink lining! Yay!
29ee_1.jpg

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
More shoes! Black oxfords this time - but these don't look very run-of-the-mill to me. Cutouts galore, and peeptoes. Can anyone date them specifically? I'm guessing mid- to late-30s, up to very early 40s.

196726597_o.jpg

Sunny, those shoes are beautiful. I love them. Where did you get them?
Sarah

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
This and that from China (cross-post)

I missed this thread; so I am cross posting

I had some luck finding some 'vintage-ish' pieces when I was in China for a steal.

Beaded Purses and Fabric from Shanghai. Found a huge 5 floor wholesale market where people buy everything needed in bulk to make clothing. It was amazing! I bought buttons, fabric for 30's accessories, and beaded purses ($10 each).

3123560628_09b0fe7dd8.jpg

Vintage Style Sunglasses; copper - folding. Should have shopped around for a cheaper price but didn't want to miss out on these.

3123561298_70725cb7a1.jpg

Love this Omega Watch Pendant! the back is see thru so you can see all the Gears. This is totally 'Steam Punk'. Negotiated the guy down to 35 rbm ($5 bucks)

3123561880_2cc00b7164.jpg

Vintage Postcards; by the coloring they were old or dipped in tea. Bobby-pins 25 cents.

3123618570_61d60eae8f.jpg

I kick myself for not buying the 'silk' pajamas from the street vendors; when I decided to get them I couldn't find anyone with the 'good price; name your price special'.

bronzewolf

New in Town
ebay purchases

Got really lucky with these two wonderful coats for winter, one is a vibrant olive green coat, with a pink lining and the other a black one with a large shawl collar and ribbon trim, absolutely fit beautifully, very happy, said to be both 1940's, not sure though.
greencoat.jpg
[/IMG]
greencoat2.jpg
[/IMG]
shawlcoat3.jpg
[/IMG]
shawlcoat.jpg
[/IMG]
shawlcoat2.jpg
[/IMG]

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I had a little holiday shopping fest at my local vintage shop. Spent more then I should but I had to have these pieces. :eek:

lounge021.jpg

A 50's dress with velvet collar, cuffs and bodice piping.

lounge022.jpg

And a cardigan, also 50's. The fur is detachable via snaps so you can clean it.

lounge025.jpg

Detail of the clasp. It's broken but I think I can employ my soldering skills to fix it.

Sunny

One Too Many
bronzewolf said:
Got really lucky with these two wonderful coats for winter, one is a vibrant olive green coat, with a pink lining and the other a black one with a large shawl collar and ribbon trim, absolutely fit beautifully, very happy, said to be both 1940's, not sure though.
greencoat.jpg
shawlcoat.jpg
I love vintage coats! I have (GULP) six! That green and pink is simply gorgeous. With that plain high collar, it's definitely made to be worn with a fur; and green goes with just about any color of fur, too. I think the green is late 40s, since it's a longer length and sleeker style than wartime. The double-breasted look is extremely popular in the 60s, but that's way too fitted in the waist to be 60s. The black I want to say early 50s, since the skirt is definitely full; the shawl collar is a later look, too. They seem to be excellent buys!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Hello all! Everyone has acquired such lovely things during my brief hiatus! lol I'm especially envious of the two winter coats, bronzewolf.

Here are some things I've bought lately:

New hat
picture110nt7.jpg

Glass beads
picture119wz8.jpg

And a TON of 78s, though I need something to play them on :(
picture128gw8.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What size bust and hips?

Sunny said:
And on another note... :(

Remember this? Well, it doesn't quite work for me, either.

188843129_o.jpg

188842954_o.jpg

It's definitely not a bad look, like the red rust knit dress was. It's just not flattering. This dress is tailor-made for shorter pear or round shapes. The waist is a good 34", and my 38" hips are swimming in it. The shoulders medium to wide, and the sleeves are a little short for me. They're perfect on the 5'4" model. It's an amazing dress with a label in what looks like German, and a size tag of 46. Get this - it's not just any black wool, but black wool jersey. It's a knit! So comfortable and lovely, with those buttons and the pintucks and original belt, and definitely a Large or more. There are a few moth bites I didn't know about; the jersey weave and the black color really hide them. They'll be easy to mend. If anyone's interested, let me know!

Waist alone is not enough to know what size it is...but that would be comfortably loose. I love it. Like I need another black dress.
Best to measure from armpit to armpit lying flat, same with the waist seam, and the hips are 10" below the waist.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Waist alone is not enough to know what size it is...but that would be comfortably loose. I love it. Like I need another black dress.
Best to measure from armpit to armpit lying flat, same with the waist seam, and the hips are 10" below the waist.
I've had some interest, but nothing's panned out so far; still, that's why I haven't put it in Classifieds. The dress overall is close to 38-34-42, not straining the jersey at all. Back waist 16.5", total length 44", shoulders 15.5", sleeve cuffed 21", uncuffed (how I wore it - worked very well) 24". I won it for $81 and I'd like to get most of that back if possible. There are a couple moth bites that the seller missed, very very hard to see in the jersey and the color, easy to mend and hide. I only found them when I was spot-ironing. The fabric's worn on the corners of the buckle so the metal shows a little; didn't bother me a bit, but YMMV.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
dec1708bluehat.jpg

I got this hat a long time ago, but I don't think I ever posted it! Needless to say, it's one of my faves.

dec1708gloves.jpg

New hat & gloves!

Where did you find the first hat? And another question what period are both the hats from, if you don't mind my asking. By the way, I think you look fabulous in both of them.
Sarah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80