Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
335d_1.JPG

The seller said its from '42, but I dont know, this design looks very 50s to me...There is a free dickey pattern in it, and that is totally 40s. We will see.

LD

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
335d_1.JPG

The seller said its from '42, but I dont know, this design looks very 50s to me...There is a free dickey pattern in it, and that is totally 40s. We will see.

LD

Were dickeys strictly 40s? The reason I ask is I have seen at least two 50s dickey patterns while looking at patterns. I didn't know if it was a carryover from the 40s or what.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No, not at all. They were popular in the 40s because of fabric rationing as they were a good way to dress up an outfit with minimal fabric.

LD

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ladies. I'm very excited for them to arrive. I still can't believe my father-in-law gave me the exact amount I needed to buy them. He doesn't know it yet that he's fed into my shoe collection yet. Bless him for it!

I also struggled between black (goes with everything) and red (because it's RED!). I'm hoping that I won't be sorry.

(And secretly I still lust after all Remix shoes, but they are so far out of my budget they will have to stay a fantasy.)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only purchased one gift this year, but I had 1.5 years to prepare to give it and enjoy it too!

My parent's 50th Anniversary was last weekend, and my parents had a party. A group of us got together and surprised them with this:

DSCF-0626.jpg

doubletree.jpg

(A 20 piece Big Band plus a sound technician and four singers)

and this:

DSCF0498-resized.jpg

(10 Swing Dancers in period dress to entertain and dance with everyone)

Sample song download (MP3) here

They were very surprised. :)

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
It wasn't really a purchase, but hubby got me a sewing machine! And an external hard drive for all of my music and pictures that were beginning to bog down my laptop.

Vintage Betty

CherryRed said:
Vintage Betty, what a wonderfully thoughtful surprise! I 'm sure your parents were thrilled, I know I would be! What a sweet daughter you are.

Thank you CherryRed!

In my lifetime, I don't ever remember my parent's having a single party.

Therefore, having them throw themselves a 50th Anniversary Party is a very big deal. They wanted a DJ *yucky* so I convinced some relatives to chip in for the music and dancers. We felt the dancers were a nice touch because there were a lot of widows and widowers at the party with "no date" so they only danced after being asked by one of the dancers.

It might seem extravegant in this economy, but I am not sure if they will ever have another party again. (However, after it was over and I finished all the party planning they told me it was my job to plan my father's birthday party - and I'd have to top this surprise.) lol :eusa_doh:

Kim_B

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Thank you CherryRed!

In my lifetime, I don't ever remember my parent's having a single party.

Therefore, having them throw themselves a 50th Anniversary Party is a very big deal. They wanted a DJ *yucky* so I convinced some relatives to chip in for the music and dancers. We felt the dancers were a nice touch because there were a lot of widows and widowers at the party with "no date" so they only danced after being asked by one of the dancers.

It might seem extravegant in this economy, but I am not sure if they will ever have another party again. (However, after it was over and I finished all the party planning they told me it was my job to plan my father's birthday party - and I'd have to top this surprise.) lol :eusa_doh:

True, to some it may seem extravagant with the current state of the economy, but I see it differently - you were making memories for your family, and most of all your parents. You can't put a price tag on something like that. Well done, Miss Betty! :eusa_clap

:)

Vintage Betty

Kim_B said:
True, to some it may seem extravagant with the current state of the economy, but I see it differently - you were making memories for your family, and most of all your parents. You can't put a price tag on something like that. Well done, Miss Betty! :eusa_clap

:)

Thank you for your kind words. I thought over whether to post the photos, but maybe it will encourage others to have special times with and for their relatives, especially since relatives are always getting older. :(

We don't have family reunions and I am sure there were some people at the party I will never see again. :cry: Seeing them happy and smiling was a wonderful way of remembering everyone. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
VB, what a lovely and sentimental gift to give your parents.

P1120079-1.jpg
P1120081-1.jpg

This is the crown jewel of my vintage sewing book collection.

'Coatmaking at Home' Published in 1941 by the U.S. Department Human Nutrition and Home Economics.

Ive wanted a book about how to make coats at home for years.
I cant wait to get it!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24