Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
goldwyn girl said:
1950scover.jpg

Oh my god! Where did you get this? Amazon...? I'm pretty sure if i don't get this, i will die.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
I have the 40's one too and love it, the 50's has more information, knitting and crochet patterns. And a few sewing patterns as well.

Where did you guys find these? I don't see them on Amazon.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
OK, take 2... Some more stuff I bought in Montana. I can't believe how cheap stuff is out there!

Lovely silk and orlon blouse with buttons up the back. The real color is somewhere in between what's shown in the photos. Whopping $12!
DSCF2404.jpg

DSCF2403.jpg

late 40s/early 50s? purple and black checked cotton dress, side metal zipper. The white trim around the neckline doesn't really make sense to me, but who cares, because dresses with pockets are the best!!!
DSCF2405.jpg

I'm thinking this dress might look better if I brought up the hem. What do you gals think?
DSCF2408.jpg

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I have heard the midwest has amazing vintage shopping.. for SO cheap.

Also,
On :eek:fftopic: when did we start being allowed to post our etsy shops in our siggys???

SayCici

Practically Family
Definitely bring up the hem, Kitty! I'm jealous of that blouse - I love bows at the neck and waistlines. :]

I hope it's true that the midwest is great for vintage - my husband told me the other week we're going to be assigned to Nebraska for four years.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
KittyT, i love that blouse! the neck detail is too great.
i have yet to find any vintage blouses that are wearable...

:eek:fftopic:
i live in the midwest: southern missouri, and i don't know how "cheap" you mean, but in vintage shops here, most of the dresses from 40's/50's are about $30-$35 with some extra special things hitting $45, and there's one vintage shop in town i've had some luck finding $10-12 dresses.... flea market booth dresses average $10-$30, unless they're overpriced. and i don't think i've paid more than $5 for any of my hats (maybe one or two extra special ones, but never more than $15).
are these normal vintage prices? i always thought they were. when i'm in smaller outlying towns, i find much better deals, but not as much stuff.
also, the vintage shops i've been too aren't that amazing. too much 70's/80's, and the 40's/50's (and older) section is kind of sad.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
maybelaughter said:
i live in the midwest: southern missouri, and i don't know how "cheap" you mean, but in vintage shops here, most of the dresses from 40's/50's are about $30-$35 with some extra special things hitting $45, and there's one vintage shop in town i've had some luck finding $10-12 dresses.... flea market booth dresses average $10-$30, unless they're overpriced. and i don't think i've paid more than $5 for any of my hats (maybe one or two extra special ones, but never more than $15).
are these normal vintage prices? i always thought they were. when i'm in smaller outlying towns, i find much better deals, but not as much stuff.
also, the vintage shops i've been too aren't that amazing. too much 70's/80's, and the 40's/50's (and older) section is kind of sad.

No, those are CHEAP vintage prices. Most basic dresses I've seen on both the East and West coasts (MA and WA, specifically) start at around $45 or $50. $30 is cheap.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
No, those are CHEAP vintage prices. Most basic dresses I've seen on both the East and West coasts (MA and WA, specifically) start at around $45 or $50. $30 is cheap.

Goodness! Here in southern California, dresses start at $75 and go up to "give me your first-born".
This is not a cheap lifestyle :eusa_doh:

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I have been a bad girl ans succumbed to temptation :eek: . Bought this, let's hope it fits all right, front is quite low. It is not vintage, but I thought it had a great 30's look.
dsp_071.jpg
dsp_076_1213796770.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Cole of California

I don't know much about Cole of California other then they made swim wear things. I never knew they made dresses. I was doing research on the sundress I had just won and found the Power House Museum site in Australia. On this site I found a sister outfit to my little sundress! Tell me that's not a killer outfit!

Okay so this is my dress!

3603668640_18d266c51f.jpg

3602858851_39ab236b4a.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
late 40s/early 50s? purple and black checked cotton dress, side metal zipper. The white trim around the neckline doesn't really make sense to me, but who cares, because dresses with pockets are the best!!!
DSCF2405.jpg

I'm thinking this dress might look better if I brought up the hem. What do you gals think?
DSCF2408.jpg
Don't bring it up much, it is lovely in its original length. Maybe a couple of inches. But it should be between mid calf and ankle somewhere, that is the right length for that style. Longer skirts are more flattering than shorter ones, generally.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Don't bring it up much, it is lovely in its original length. Maybe a couple of inches. But it should be between mid calf and ankle somewhere, that is the right length for that style. Longer skirts are more flattering than shorter ones, generally.

Thanks for the advice! I'm quite short, so it's always likely that vintage dresses are a bit long on me.

zendy

A-List Customer
KittyT, the reason everything is so cheap is because of the cost of living. Here in Idaho, Montana and Utah, it's all federal minimum wage. Everything is cheap cause we are all broke. Haha! When we go to Washington and California to visit the folks my jaw drops at "regular" prices for vintage clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff