Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your radios!

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
I just picked up a radio from 1927 it cranks up and plays 78s still works. I got it on craigslist for $80 along with a vintage 1920s desk. I will try and post the pics. For some reason I have trouble loading them. The desk and the radio need work but its a deal for $80

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a radio from 1927 it cranks up and plays 78s still works. I got it on craigslist for $80 along with a vintage 1920s desk. I will try and post the pics. For some reason I have trouble loading them. The desk and the radio need work but its a deal for $80

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Can't wait to see the pics!

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I bought new electrolytic capacitors from Radio Daze since they are evry close to me and the radio is sounding great after replacing only the large multi-section tubular capacitor. I got the knobs from Radio Shack and painted the white lines gold to match the radio case, and then jerry-rigged them on with some whittled down chopsticks. Hope you enjoy the result!
[video=youtube;xIaI58jZX4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIaI58jZX4A[/video]

JAZZmann

New in Town
DSC02445.jpg

Heres my 1941 Crosley. She's in pretty rough shape though.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I bought new electrolytic capacitors from Radio Daze since they are evry close to me and the radio is sounding great after replacing only the large multi-section tubular capacitor. I got the knobs from Radio Shack and painted the white lines gold to match the radio case, and then jerry-rigged them on with some whittled down chopsticks. Hope you enjoy the result!
[video=youtube;xIaI58jZX4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIaI58jZX4A[/video]

Nice. Radio Daze are great to work with, as are Tubes and More

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
Just picked up a 1940s radio with cabinet. Has art deco style. The radio and record player are separate. I got the radio working but the record player still needs some work. I picked it up in a pawn shop for $35 here in San Diego.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
This was a Christmas present from my wife: an Emerson model 561. It is very nice looking but there are no knobs and I am going to have to replace the capacitors as it just hums really loud when I turn it on. This will give me something to do for the next few weeks at least!

Christmas2010002.jpg
[/IMG]

Christmas2010001.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello.
Nice Radio. Do you need the knobs? I have a parts set with them. P.M. me if interested.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Oh, not at all, many of these were preserved to these days. I've got this one with guarantee certificate, manual and records cleaning pad for 500,- CZK (aprox. $29) Glad you like it :)

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
My sister found this 1978 Stewart Warner radio-phonograph (unfortunately before I did) and it's in pretty good shape. However, it needs new tubes, and the phonograph won't turn on. She wants to fix it. Tubes we can find. But if anyone has any information specific to this item, and can fill me in, I can pass on the info.

DSCF1510.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

Unfortunately my pics are gone, and I CANNOT believe I didn't notice that typo- 1978- it is 1948, clearly. But if anyone has a recommendation for cleaning wood that old, I would love to know. I simply have no antique experience... and my daughter took a yellow crayon to it this morning. Sigh. Luckily, the crayon is washable, and I managed to get it all off, but it seems like there is just the slightest waxiness I could not remove.

Any help appreciated.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
With-out seeing the radio, I am not sure this will work for you, but on many of my wood radios, I have used a hand-cleaner like "Goop" to clean the wood. I follow with a dry soft towel and buff dry, then a good paste wax on the radio that makes the wood look good, like "Johnsons". there are many chemical cleaners out-there (like 409). but I tend to use what I have and this worked well for me and I really hate using chemicals on vintage wood. Just my 2¢, I hope this helps some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy