Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your sailor uniforms!

Cobden

Practically Family
Might have to give it a go sometime; got a flannel dicky and a 1930's tiddly white top; just need to faff about with the silk and perhaps a hat...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
Mojave,

I have a 'blues' suit just like Ray's, (pants by the same maker but a year later) and a 'dogbowl' hat. Mine has a blue ring around the brim. Can I ask, what rank is that? Midshipman, perhaps?

Do I need a black silk neckerchief? What size? And black shoes without toecaps? Is a teeshirt worn under the jumper?

Questions, questions....

Thanks

Alan
Yes, you're exactly right: the blue stripe is for Midshipmen, specifically "plebes," or first year Naval Academy cadets. Here's a couple photos:
IDay_2006_19.gif
IDay_2006_20.gif

As for the neckerchief, I have no idea what the measurements are, other than BIG! The modern ones are "acetate," which is Navy lingo for "cheap." I've never seen a vintage one, so Wild Root is probably right about the quality. The modern ones are apparently designed to stay rolled up for approximately 45 seconds before loosening and coming apart. I taped mine to keep it together! Here's a diagram on how to tie it properly:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/MojaveJack/neckerchief.gif

You are also right on both the t-shirt and the shoes. Crew neck and plain toe, respectively. (Or a ringer t-shirt with the blue collar to wear with your plebe hat.)

Mike1973 said:
I know what you mean about figure hugging... several times I've got stuck trying to get in or out of my jersey Not a nice feeling if your slightly claustraphobic
I felt the same way! Sometimes I was afraid to try to get into it or out of it if I was alonE. I was afraid I'd get stuck and suffocate or something! Gads, I hated getting into that thing!

Slightly off topic, but Mike, what is that uniform to the far right of that pic you posted? I've seen that uniform before, but I can't think where.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Them dames always get all the attention... cute as it is, it still makes us guys who wear these look sissified... thanks a lot girls!:rolleyes:

By the way, I think a WAVE uniform is way hotter on a skirt then a Man's uniform... just my opinion.

Sincerely the Grouch of vintage...lol

=WR=

8d22869r.jpg

8b09555r.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
kriegsmarine8e_12.jpg

Hope no one minds this pic. I have a reasonable collection of mainly WW1 and pre WW2 real photo Postcard pictures of the German Navy / Kriegsmarine but no scanner!

I used to have a massive collection of [boxed] German naval uniforms too. But eventually it was the uniforms or the wife...I'll miss her.

No the uniforms had to go. Didn't get what they were worth as I bulk sold them. Should have auctioned them or hid them lol.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ghos7a55assin said:
I just got a vintage winter navy sailor uniform today!

If you don't already have a copy, scour eVilbay for a 1940 version of the Bluejackets Manual. They usually go for $10 + shipping. That'll explain most of the inner working mysteries of the USN for the period in question.

You might also find this USN repository of River Gunboat photos interesting -
http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/12idx.htm

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mike1973!!!!!!

I've been struggling with my memory, since you joined here and became a member- your mug is OH-so familiar.

Now I know where I recognise you from.

The BOOKS!

You're a little bit famous in uniform.
I recognise the other book models too from that photo, above.

B
T

Wild Root

Gone Home
green papaya said:
carstensailor1946.jpeg

they also wore the earlier older style dark navy caps like this, back in the 1940's or earlier

Ah yes, the "Donald Duck" cap was used till mid war or so... men were still issued one but, they preferred the white cap more.

I have a "Donald Duck" and wear it now and again... I need to find a larger one... mine is a little snug.

=WR=

Mike1973

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
I've been struggling with my memory, since you joined here and became a member- your mug is OH-so familiar.

Now I know where I recognise you from.

The BOOKS!

You're a little bit famous in uniform.
I recognise the other book models too from that photo, above.

B
T

I was that Airborne Medic... (and a few others... easy to kit out little fella's like me;) )
It was good laugh helping out with both books, Dickie and Martin just got all their collector friends involved. I see them more as photo albums of all my mates lol (It's a very small world!)

Mojave, from left to right - Matelot, Infantryman, Royal Marine, Royal Flying Corps (Wearing the maternity style jacket)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
Them dames always get all the attention... cute as it is, it still makes us guys who wear these look sissified... thanks a lot girls!:rolleyes:

By the way, I think a WAVE uniform is way hotter on a skirt then a Man's uniform... just my opinion.

Sincerely the Grouch of vintage...lol

=WR=

The recruiting office (thankfully) did not agree... :D

One of our Corpsmen kept these on his office wall.

navy1.jpg

navy2.jpg

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Gee whiz... all my life I've wanted a vintage sailor's uniform (or at least the cap), but I don't think I'd have an occasion to wear it, besides a covert vanity picture shoot.

This may sound a bit odd, but can the dog bowl be worn with other outfits? I think I once saw a picture of a icing platform worker wearing one, but I'm not too sure. (Gad, I'm such a novice..)

And Ray, I'm a bit curious, how much did you pay for the uniform?

carebear

Lauren Henline said:
I think those posters are way hotter than WAVES uniforms. But what do I know...

Oh no, your thinker is calibrated properly. :D

By the way, your repost of Vanessa's post is a "red x".

Trickeration

Practically Family
With Royal Flush at an Armed Forces Day dance. I also have 2 cracker jacks (yes, they really call 'em that in the Navy) but don't usually wear them. I do where the pants now and then, though. They're great for dancing!
pict2401rk3.jpg
pict2213xv2.jpg

carebear

Lauren Henline said:
Thanks! I think my server is down right now... I reposted it and we'll see if that works...

That got it.

I'm torn between "yowza" and "homina, homina, homina". :eusa_clap

Always did like a girl in uniform... which led once to a Captain's Mast. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn