Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your sailor uniforms!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I just got a vintage winter navy sailor uniform today! The jumper is so form-fitting I could barely get my shoulders through but once it is on, it fits like it was made for me! This may be one of the coolest things I've picked up so far. I've got some pictures of tags so if anyone can tell me when it is from, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, does anyone know where I can buy the white dixie cap and neckerchief? I've been looking all over the net and the only place I can find the neckerchief is WWII Impressions.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
CIMG4643.jpg

CIMG4650.jpg

CIMG4648.jpg

Under the collar flap:
CIMG4654.jpg

Sewn to the back pocket on the bell-bottoms:
CIMG4656.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice fit, Ghost! You should be able to find the dog bowl hat just about anywhere; they're pretty common. You should be able to get a modern issue neckerchief the same way. I think they were pretty much the same through time, just maybe a little cheaper today. If you have any trouble finding either, drop me a PM and I'll swing by the uniform shop here on base and pick you up either or both. The rating badges are pretty much the same as they were, too, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding modern ones. I can pick that up, too, if you know what rate you want.

One thing you must get, however, are liberty cuffs. They are sewed inside the cuffs of the sleeves, and are displayed when the cuffs are rolled back. Sailors on leave would roll back their cuffs to keep the white piping clean, and the old salts took to putting some decorative patches there. Blue noses put artic themes on their, and shellbacks usually put a King Nepture theme. There was a lot of variation, though. Check out Steve McQueen's liberty cuffs in The Sand Pebbles. He has the Chinese dragons on his, which were popular among the gunboat crews of the 1920s.

When you get your dog bowl, square it off like Steve's, too. I used to catch hell for wearing mine that way!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Wow!

Thanks for all the tips, Mojave Jack! I may just take you up on your offer. It'll probably be cheaper from the base. They're asking $15 and $10 for the dog bowl and neckerchief (respectively).

Here is the impression left by the original badge that was removed by the original owner:
CIMG4653.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Judging by the shape, I'd say the former owner was a Seaman Apprentice, maybe a Seaman. Here's a link to a good graphic of Navy rates. That person was apparently rated, too, i.e. he was a striker (someone qualified in a career field) as opposed to being an apprentice (someone trying to get into a career field). The size of the patch indicates that he had a rating badge above his stripes. You can see the rating badge in between the eagle and the chevrons in the above graphic. In the case of the E-4 through E-6, they are all Boatswain's Mates (affectionately known as "deck apes"), as evidence by the crossed anchors. Here's a list of Navy rates.

Drop me a PM and we'll coordinate on the stuff. Don't forget hat size! If you'd like a rate patch for the sleeve, I think about all I'll be able to offer are either medical ones, legal, and possibly engineering rates. This is a Marine Corps base, after all!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lookin good!

Your pants are a 1972 date. The DSA-100-72 gives that away. DSA numbers, I think, came into use around Korea, so anything with that is post-WWII for sure. Not a big deal, really. USN stuff has not changed much! The 13-button pants have been the same forever. The tag in the tunic looks older to me, maybe late 40s or 50s. It is possible I'm wrong on that, but I've not seen that tag in newer pieces. Most newer stuff will have the tag like your pants have, with the DSA #.

$15 for a dixie cup seems high. We have a local surplus store that sells them for about $5, the neckerchief is about $10. Both are new, but will work as that stuff really hasn't changed. Try www.omahas.com - that is my local surplus store and I know he's got them. You can tell him Pam Burkholder sent you, if you need to.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Ray, you never cease to amaze...

Excellent start, young man! I have a son the same age as you and his entire wardrobe consists of jeans and 60s, 70s, and 80s rock band tee shirts. Glad to see that style and class (classic style!) is alive and well at least SOMEWHERE in the world.

Hondo

One Too Many
Looks great dude :eusa_clap how I envy you thin guys, I've been looking for a sailor suit like yours to honor my dad who was in the Navy but being a rather large guy you just can't find the right size, I'm not really fat, tall, 6 ft 2" pants size is 36 and chest is 48, really is tough to find, any one know of a link for large sizes, do let me know, grateful, carry on ;)

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Looking good Ray!

I know what you mean about figure hugging... several times I've got stuck trying to get in or out of my jersey:eusa_doh: Not a nice feeling if your slightly claustraphobic:eek:

cenotaph_guard_1999.jpg

I've got a set of Royal Navy rig, which comes out maybe once or twice a year when the Khaki Chums get asked to attend a parade or ceremony. Never seem to get any photo's though, this is from 2000 when we were Guard of Honour on the Cenetaph. I should have a blue top, not a white top hat, and also when carrying arms the chin strap should be worn... we've corrected these mistakes since.

Wild Root

Gone Home
794177590_l.jpg

Here's a photo of Doc. Freddy and I in our Blues. Mine is original WWII Second Class Motor Operator with a Sub patch. The neckerchief is from my Grandfather so, it's WWII period. The originals from WWII were large square silk ones... they had a stitched detail boarder on the edges. A sailor should roll them up with a penny in side... they should be folded tight about the width of a penny... that's how the old Navy boys of WWII did it.

The patch in your pants point to a post war issue. The label you have under the collar of your top is WWII. To tell WWII issue pants from post war is that the WWII had a zipper pocket on the left or right side... can't recall exactly but, they had a zipper pocket.

I'd buy the neckerchief from WWII Impressions... they're pretty darn close to the originals... the ones they make today aren't as nice or as correct due to the fact that the US Navy is phasing that uniform out.

The "Dog bowl" or "Dixie Cup" is pretty much the same as it was then... so, you could buy a new one with out any problem... as for shoes, they MUST be plain black leather with a nice leather sole.

Looking good ray, give some thought to what ship or boat you'd like to represent and what rate you'd like... I might say it's best to go with something modest so the Vets wouldn't get bent out of shape.

=WR=

Cobden

Practically Family
I have WWII RN square rig; jumper fits a treat, as do my bells. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent photo's of me wearing it, as I usually portray a Paymaster Midshipman (largely because it's easier to disguise the officers uniform when travelling on BR then square rig):

onleave.jpg

Mike; what are the differences between WWI and WWII square rig? Been thinking of doing WWI RN but not sure what I would have to do with the uniform. The only difference I can see from photo's is a wider silk draped almost over the shoulder...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Nice fit, Ghost! You should be able to find the dog bowl hat just about anywhere; they're pretty common. You should be able to get a modern issue neckerchief the same way.

Mojave,

I have a 'blues' suit just like Ray's, (pants by the same maker but a year later) and a 'dogbowl' hat. Mine has a blue ring around the brim. Can I ask, what rank is that? Midshipman, perhaps?

Do I need a black silk neckerchief? What size? And black shoes without toecaps? Is a teeshirt worn under the jumper?

Questions, questions....

Thanks

Alan

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Cobden said:
I have WWII RN square rig; jumper fits a treat, as do my bells. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent photo's of me wearing it, as I usually portray a Paymaster Midshipman (largely because it's easier to disguise the officers uniform when travelling on BR then square rig):

Mike; what are the differences between WWI and WWII square rig? Been thinking of doing WWI RN but not sure what I would have to do with the uniform. The only difference I can see from photo's is a wider silk draped almost over the shoulder...

Looking the part Cobden;)

I have to wear the square rig on public transport everytime we do a ceremony up in the big smoke, it gets a fair bit of attention but 95% of folks think I'm a serving sailor[huh] I get all the old dears saying "touch yer collar for luck!"lol
Mine is Second War vintage, the main difference I've seen between the Wars is the caps, the Great war ones are floppy, rather than stiff.

Hondo

One Too Many
Now you guys are making my angry :p J/K Cause I want the same look, but being a big ape myself, its tough to find a suit like those of you here.

When my Dad was in the Navy during WWII, he had the Donald Duck cap, plus the white dixie cup style, I'm hoping that since the navy has gone away from the Cracker Jack suits, there SHOULD be a surplus supply of uniforms, I sure hope so,
Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy