Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I found these a couple of days ago at the same shop. No two are the same size, so I doubt a single original owner. But I know that three came in together, and I would assume this jacket came in at the same time as well. So probably 4 formal jackets from the '20s-'30s all coming into the thrift shop at the same time, but in different sizes, all in good shape. I wonder where they've been all these years?

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

Pure Jazz era lapels etc.. Wonderful! You are right. Where have they been hoarded. Is that a Finnish tailor on one of the lapels?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Pino, looks fantastic.

I'm curious about something, I know someone here can help. Was the length on coats for suits from the 40s and 50s longer than they are now? Or was it as it is today, just covering the buttocks? I know the rise on the trousers was greater, so what's anyone elses take on this?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Pino, looks fantastic.

I'm curious about something, I know someone here can help. Was the length on coats for suits from the 40s and 50s longer than they are now? Or was it as it is today, just covering the buttocks? I know the rise on the trousers was greater, so what's anyone elses take on this?

Length tended to be shorter than today, still covering but not as much.

(I should add, the basis of comparison I'm using is the suits I see out and about, which are very long I think.)

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My 1950's Haspel's seersucker suit sports a - for my taste - rather longish jacket

Of course it could just be that the jacket was originally too big for you. Either way it doesn't look too long.

In regards to the original question, most jackets seem only very slightly shorter than a well fitted modern jacket, and a lot longer than the average modern jacket as the current trend among those who see a suit as work costume is to have it ill-fitting and oversized.

sproily

Practically Family
Pure Jazz era lapels etc.. Wonderful! You are right. Where have they been hoarded. Is that a Finnish tailor on one of the lapels?

It is a Finnish name for sure, if you don't count the dots on the A of Saarimäki, that are missing. But surely there are a lot of Finn-Canadians :)

And as for those silk covered buttons, they are seen only on 20's jackets in Finland. It's a pretty safe bet to say that the jacket is 20's when it has those buttons. This has been with about every case I've come in contact with.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Of course it could just be that the jacket was originally too big for you. Either way it doesn't look too long.

I'm not saying it's too long. It's just that I like 'em to be on the slightly shorter side of things...

Gotta get some sleep now. Travelling (and playing music) with the Irish is always fun but also extremely exhausting... ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm not saying it's too long. It's just that I like 'em to be on the slightly shorter side of things...

Gotta get some sleep now. Travelling (and playing music) with the Irish is always fun but also extremely exhausting... ;)

Have fun with the music. I'm sure you can handle the Irish, after all Germans tend to be very good at drinking alcohol :p.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's the 1950s (I think) Curlee brand suit I bought in Austin, Texas, in March. It's a great summer suit -- very light weight and no itch factor at all.

brownsuit1.jpg
brownsuit2.jpg

I have no idea why I'm standing so awkwardly -- heaven forbid I take a good photograph.

That's a vintage Knox hat I'm wearing -- my only vintage lid.

Actually, here's a decent photograph, taken by a professional at a wedding my wife and I attended recently, that finds me wearing one of my other summer suits.

bluesuit3.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
IMHO, your sleeves are a touch too long, even if you choose not to show linen. Love the patch pockets.

brownsuit1.jpg
brownsuit2.jpg

Salieri

One of the Regulars
1930s Montague Burton 3 piece suit:

Classic high-waisted trousers with double forward pleats and button-down fob pocket.
DSCF3077.jpg

Double breasted waistcoat. The line of the stripe is a little off - Is this an occupational hazard of cutting a waistcoat in this shape? It's slightly exaggerated by the way it fits the dummy, in vivo it doesn't look quite as obvious.
DSCF3080.jpg

3 button, peaked lapel, ventless jacket.
DSCF3086.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

DSCF3087.jpg

One of the principal selling points for me, being a bit of a collector of all things Montague Burton
DSCF3091.jpg

Finishing touch, added from my own collection
DSCF3092.jpg

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
Question for Matt Deckard, or any other with an answer. What is the time line for 30's through 40's doulbe breasted suits? one on two, two on three and any other combinations I may not have found yet. J.D. Hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy