Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

TCMfan25

Practically Family
1930s montague burton 3 piece suit:

Classic high-waisted trousers with double forward pleats and button-down fob pocket.
dscf3077.jpg

double breasted waistcoat. The line of the stripe is a little off - is this an occupational hazard of cutting a waistcoat in this shape? It's slightly exaggerated by the way it fits the dummy, in vivo it doesn't look quite as obvious.
dscf3080.jpg

3 button, peaked lapel, ventless jacket.
dscf3086.jpg

dscf3088.jpg

dscf3087.jpg

one of the principal selling points for me, being a bit of a collector of all things montague burton
dscf3091.jpg

finishing touch, added from my own collection
dscf3092.jpg

where on earth do you find these!!!

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Well that one was actually eBay. It wasn't even badly listed or photographed so I was surprised by what I paid for it. £160 isn't exactly cheap but it's a lot less than I expected it to go for.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Salieri,
That is an incredible suit. That waistcoat is fantastic. With respect to the stripe being off I suspect that somewhere along its lifetime the buttons were moved to acomodate a contracted waist, possibly due to a new owner. It is possible resetting the buttons will rectify the stripe and alterations made through the side seams instead. I would bring that to your favorite tailor and have them look at it. You may be able to fix that very minor inconvenience on an otherwise brilliant suit.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Salieri,
That is an incredible suit. That waistcoat is fantastic. With respect to the stripe being off I suspect that somewhere along its lifetime the buttons were moved to acomodate a contracted waist, possibly due to a new owner. It is possible resetting the buttons will rectify the stripe and alterations made through the side seams instead. I would bring that to your favorite tailor and have them look at it. You may be able to fix that very minor inconvenience on an otherwise brilliant suit.

Thanks! I've actually just been rectifying that very issue. The top button was not only sewn slightly off from where it should be, but had also got quite loose. I resewed it in the correct place with a tighter shank and it looks much, much better now.

Another point about the waistcoat - compared with photos and illustrations of suits with DB waistcoats from the 30s, this waistcoat seems to be quite long, and sits quite low in relation to the button stance on the jacket (you'll see from the pictures that the waistcoat lapels don't show at all when the jacket is fastened). I'm not too fussed about this, though. If I were having the suit made for me now, I'd have a shorter, higher waistcoat, but as this suit is such a rare survival and in such great condition, I kind of feel as much a custodian of it as a wearer, so I think it would be a shame to alter it simply to suit my tastes.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
That waistcoat is too brilliant to be kept hidden, I would start with having the coat lapels pressed flat and leaving the top button undone, this should allow the lapels to gently roll open to a deeper gorge at the second button. This will make the jacket appear more organic. I really feel like nothing ruins the line of a suit jacket worse than pressing the lapels back.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
This isn't a new suit and I don't wear it any more on account of the large rip in the knee that can't be repaired to a satisfactory standard, but I've never uploaded photos of it before. It is, I think, 1950s, judging by the button stance. I don't think it'd be any later, as the lining is possibly polished cotton and the fabric very very heavy. The buttons are horn as well, with a slight rope to the shoulders.

This photo was taken on my final day in formal education, hence the cigar and ridiculous grin.

lastcollege1.jpg

The final photo was taken at a re-enactment at the Ryedale Folk Museum in the village of Hutton-Le-Hole. I'd been in uniform all day and was preparing for our 'You're In the Army Now, Son' scenario, hence the civvy dress. Whilst the suit wasn't the right period, I didn't want to damage any of my better ones. And I'm perhaps a little lazy in my habit of changing braces over from one suit to another so often end up wearing one suit for quite a while.

I also decided to try my hand at some shabby editing, which came out alright, in my opinion.

walking1-1.jpg

walking1-2.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This isn't a new suit and I don't wear it any more on account of the large rip in the knee that can't be repaired to a satisfactory standard, but I've never uploaded photos of it before. It is, I think, 1950s, judging by the button stance. I don't think it'd be any later, as the lining is possibly polished cotton and the fabric very very heavy. The buttons are horn as well, with a slight rope to the shoulders.

Matt, can you tell us about the dress shirt you're wearing in these photos? Is is vintage or new? Where did you get it? Thanks!

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
The shirt isn't vintage - I think one of our German members told us about them in the Spearpoint Collars thread, wherever that's disappeared off to.

It's made by a German firm called Signum, although I don't think they make them any more, at least not in that style. I bought three on eBay, for about £12 each, two in a beige/cream colour with green stripes and one which is in the photos which is a blue-gray colour with black stripes. They've only got button cuffs, but otherwise, they're spectacular. I've got my 1960s collar bar on too, which my mother bought me for Christmas. It's spot on to the one Hugh Laurie wears as Bertie Wooster in the Jeeves and Wooster TV series.

Hope that helps!

Fidena

One of the Regulars
I like the ensemble, Matt. That sweater with that suit looks great, IMO. Tie ties it together nicely. (Pardon the horrible pun :D )

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Fidena. The pun is pardoned - I was trying to go for the average lower middle class/upper working class young man joining the army quite reluctantly look so I thought my mother's knitting and a darned knee would be rather accurate. It's one of my favourite jumpers, but I can only wear it with very high trousers because it's spot on to a 1930s pattern.

Sadly, said darned knee makes wearing the suit impossible to anything beyond such meagre acting to entertain and inform.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
You're welcome! I want to get a few more of them as they've got grubby from being worn half to death. Sadly, they've vanished entirely from eBay, or so it seems. They were quite bargainous, considering the usual price I'd expect to pay for shirts.

Glad I could help, Marc.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if these are meant to go here, so if somebody wants to move them to the WW2 section or wherever these are meant to go, feel free. Battledress has just been another suit to me though.

During a re-enactment our unit photographer, a very talented lady, took several portraits of us in the Victorian photo studio they had available. It's quite horribly heavy and warm stuff to wear, and if it doesn't fit, it's terribly constricting. It's not bad overall though and is very fit for purpose - I've gone walking in knee deep snow and all kinds of weathers wearing it and not suffered beyond slight dehydration in the summer due to not taking the jacket off.

portrait2.jpg

portrait1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've always seen BD as a suit, in many ways.
Well, one could make the argument that any outfit is a suit of clothes but this thread is for lounge suits. There are other threads for formal wear, uniforms, work wear, etc........

That said, it's no major transgression. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy