Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

KR

Familiar Face
Three Piece Suit

Finally I have something to show in this thread!

Here is me in the suit I got from Indy Magnoli.

suit.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hummm, not too shabby. What's the fabric like? You know, I still owe you a vintage shopping tour. I'm almost sure we could find something for ya!

Looking good nevertheless KR.

=WR=

Baron Kurtz said:
I have a better "guess the era" suit on the way. I took a risk on ebay and got it for super-cheap. No sizes, no good pics for style. All i know it has a 6 button waistcoat w/ 4 pockets. Cuffed, straight leg pants - and there's a certain roll to the jacket lapel which got me interested. The fabric is what appears to be subtle grey herringbone with a light blue windowpane overcheck. G*d, i don't even know if the suit is single or double breasted. Gambling is Exciting! As is gambolling, but that's a different story ...

bk

Well, now, how pretentious is it to quote myself?

Anyway, the suit described in the quote arrived. That "certain roll" to the lapel was not a crazy idea from me. This is an early 30s SB peaked lapel three piece suit (or an excellent copy). It fits me great in the shoulders and chest, but terrible around the middle. It was made, it seems, for a very short and rather rotund gent. Unfortunately the tailors tags have been removed, and there's nothing else to identify its era other than style and fabric. This thing is absolutely inundated with moth holes. Many, many holes, big and small all over the thing. Good for cutting up to use for a pattern and to scavenge the excellent bakelite buttons! I'll get some pics taken when i've got the suit out of the freezer.

The auction pics are below. Note the roll of the jacket lapel in the first pic:

10_1.JPG

b4_1.JPG

b5_1.JPG

bk

p.s. It's very similar in lapel style to this one:

NOS1.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
That is a nice photo. That's a mighty fine hat Lauren has on! Love to see the girls in hats! That's TRUE vintage right there ladies and gents! If you want to know what one of the most important part of a women's out fit back then was, it was the hat! It also was a sign of maturity.

=WR=

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Sack Sportjacket

Marc Chevalier said:
Sleeves with two buttons are most commonly found on the jackets of "sack suits." Sack suits are baggy suits with natural (non-padded) shoulders, and flat-front trousers with straight legs (often hemmed short, for some reason). They have been around in one form or other since the 1870s. Originally, sack suits had a 4-button front; around 1920, 3-button fronts became popular. Ivy Leaguers preferred to roll the lapel to the middle button, leaving the top buttonhole unbuttoned and exposed on the label. We usually associate the sack suit with Brooks Brothers; but once upon a time, many makers (among them Chipp, Rogers Peet, and Boshard Daugherty) sold sack suits for generations. Graduates of Ivy League universities often preferred sack suits: writers Edmund Wilson and F. Scott Fitzgerald never stopped wearing them.

I actually have a four button sack sportjacket (two buttons on each cuff) that I snagged from a thrift store outside of Princeton, NJ. I know it's not a full suit, but:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/applebarrel/89717924/

It's a "Field and Stream", an inside tag dates it from 1967. If you gents (and ladies) want more pictures of the rather interesting detailing, I'll be happy to oblige.

Fu Manchu

PHP:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Y'all gonna do something 'bout them cuffs?

Baron Kurtz said:
Okay, here goes ...

1936 union tagged DB 3 piece. I apologise that there is only one good pic. Rich blue colour with a double double pinstripe in white and red. Waistcoat, though not pictured (sorry didn't get many good pics) is 6 button 4 pocket. pants, again not pictured, are flat front and pretty low rise, compared to others i've seen (though, really to compare them to modern low rise is ludicrous). Looks very much like some i've seen going on eBay for $250-$350. Do please forgive the huge turnups. The pants legs (as always!) are too long for me.

Also:

36UT1.jpg

the pattern detail:

36UTColour.jpg

And now ... what we've all been waiting for: A 30s overcoat that i picked up for $15. the jacket was black, but has discoloured. Bad? No, i love it. it is UNIFORMLY discoloured, suggesting that it was worn soooo much that it lost its black colour. Unlike another jacket i have that just hung on a rack near a window for so long that one side was brown, the other black. Forgive the cane, i was trying to recreate some pics of James Joyce (particularly the back pic). Pity i don't have the backdrop of 1930s Zurich ...

NRAFront1.jpg
NRABack.jpg

And the maker Tag? - J.C. Penney

NRAJCPTag.jpg

But why should we be so excited? Well, when it got back from the dry cleaners i took a glance inside the inside breast pocket ...

NRANRATag.jpg

bk

...stringbean.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I think BK's suit is just big on him thus, a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìsack suit?¢‚Ǩ? like look. Just needs to have it tailored a little and then he'll be styling.;) Or, he could send it over to a tall guy who it might fit.:p

=WR=

Matt Deckard said:
I'm off the circuit for a while... Dames are nothin' but trouble!

Heheheheh! If I had a dollar for every guy I heard say that only to find him run after the first dame that threw any attention his way the next day; I would be a billionaire. :p Some may be trouble but trouble has a way of finding most of us at least once or twice. Hopefully you end up married before then. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner