Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
I picked up this orphaned jacket at a thrift store today. At first, my intention was simply to post it for sale here. After trying it on, however, I'm wondering if it might be possible to have it tailored to fit me. I've never started with something this small. What do you think? Can it be done? As discussed in the blue DB question, does wearing this as an odd jacket even make sense?

DSC_0063.jpg

Some say the jacket bottom should be the same as where your thumb ends when hanging by your side. While this rule is good for the average Joe, not everyone can abide by it. People with shorter arms, end up with a jacket to short, and longer arms, vice versa.

The biggest thing (IMO) to look for in jacket length is does it cover your rear. If it doesn't, it is too short. If it hangs down near your knees, then it is too long. Unless its a zoot suit. Then it would be allowable.

The jacket seems to cover the necessary part in the back. I would suggest lengthening the sleeves to balance it out. (Ie...No cuff showing.)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Got a 2-piece off eBay for £1. I usually don't consider 2-piece suits, I prefer 3 piece, but I wanted a lightweight one for summer. It's a light wool/poly blend. Not sure of the date, but I assume late '60s or '70s.

Trousers are button fly, cuffed, and have side adjusters. The jacket is unlined, all the edges are finished, including the edge of the front canvasing, and it looks like it was made that way, I can't find any evidence of a lining.

DSC09682.jpg

DSC09685.jpg

DSC09686.jpg

DSC09687.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This is what I would consider the stereotypical and my 'perfect' early '50s suit: single breasted, iridescent medium blue gabardine fabric, patch pockets and very high waisted with a Hollywood waist. Got it at a junk shop for $3.

Photos aren't great, it's hard to photograph this suit.

me128.jpg

Didn't have to alter the jacket but the trousers were too short so I sacrificed the cuffs and added 2" faux cuffs.

me129.jpg

cgab1

One of the Regulars
This is what I would consider the stereotypical and my 'perfect' early '50s suit: single breasted, iridescent medium blue gabardine fabric, patch pockets and very high waisted with a Hollywood waist. Got it at a junk shop for $3.

Great suit! Do you mind telling us what brand it is?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
cgab1 said:

Thanks. No brand tag, just the store tag.

tag001.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:

Photos aren't great, it's hard to photograph this suit.

me128.jpg

Didn't have to alter the jacket but the trousers were too short so I sacrificed the cuffs and added 2" faux cuffs.

me129.jpg

Gee Whiz, Thunder, the great god of clothing, Garbardinus, certainly looks after you. $3???

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cgab1 said:

The most ubiquitous brand for early '50s gabardine suits was "Timely Clothes by Plateau." As I recall, the brand's gabardine --usually a thick, drapey, smooth finished wool-- came from Pacific Woolen Mills. A deep, bright blue seems to have been "Timely Clothes"'s most popular color, followed by tan, several shades of brown, and grey ... and in rare cases, green, teal, pinkish tan, and black.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Montague Burton 2 pc

BurtonMontague50ssuit010.jpg

Beautiful NOS post-war Montague Burton (of Leeds) suit in a light-weight English tweed displaying a fine window-pane pattern in the weave.
Single vent to the back. Still retains original pattern cutter's tag on the inside pocket.

Hal

Practically Family
dating of jacket button styles

PADDY said:
Beautiful NOS post-war Montague Burton (of Leeds) suit in a light-weight English tweed displaying a fine window-pane pattern in the weave. Single vent to the back. Still retains original pattern cutter's tag on the inside pocket.
Paddy,
During what periods were two-button jackets (such as the one in this suit) in favour? I cannot recall seeing any two-button single-breasted suit before about 1966 - in my childhood and youth the ones I remember were all three-button.
Hal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart