Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Swirl dresses!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have any of you gals received odd comments while wearing these dresses? Whenever I wear mine out and about, people assume I'm a waitress or if at a hotel, the hotel maid.

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
:eek: I’m feeling a bit embarrassed for not grasping the concept at once

Thanks for the explanation Fleur De Guerre, and the picture of the back was great kamikat

And now, of course, I think I need a dress like this to wear for the few warm summer days of my home town lol

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
PS said:
As did I GG!
swirldr1.jpg

I am going to have to take pics of my other Swirls. I can't find the saved ones any longer.
How amazing that we both got the same one !!!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
I have a copy that I made. It's one of my favorite patterns!
2783634269_4e782c7f9d.jpg

Here's a back view so GreyAndWhiteCat can see how the back works
2783635117_774288dc3b.jpg

How did you make it? Is it your own pattern and if so, would you be willing to post it?

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
I made the mistake of testing my librarian skills to see if I could find Swirls on Ebay after Fleur was talking about them and found one in my size. I rather like the fabric as it's a bit Hawaiian! It's in the post....

Untitled2.jpg

The swingtag looks a bit 60s, but hey, I like the dress.
_66982_large.jpg

then again, reading that article, the large pockets on the dress point to a 50s dating. I would think with that print, it's going to be late 50s, if it's 50s. Doesn't look like a particularly 60s length unless it's early 60s.

Foofoogal

Banned
depends on the dress size vs your size

I do think this is very important with a Swirl. I have found there is a gap on the top back if the size is not correct. One can pin the back but not best. I am shortwaisted so this could be the problem. I do find them very feminine though and love collecting them.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Swirl yourself

Oddly enough, I had just drooled over a Swirl inspired dress pattern that I can't buy right now on etsy and I had just finished washing and drying my first attempt at the Marian Martin pattern below, which after reading the fantastic Article at the start of this, appears to be a take off on a Swirl pattern from the early '60s.

This is my pattern, I just made one in black gingham with red buttons and rickrack around the bottom. I love it!
MarianMartin1960sSundress.gif
[/IMG]

This one is currently available on etsy! I have it as a favorite, but don't need any more patterns!
il_430xN34395862.jpg
[/IMG]

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite topics!

Helen, yours is 60s, with that hangtag. I've never seen that tag before, and you usually don't see then with poly content either.

The lady who had that marvelous yellow one that Fleur got emailed me because she had found the article. I was thrilled to see that label, as I had no idea that there was a Swirl label with Neat 'n Tidy on it. Then a friend found the blue one with the same label on flickr. I think it is even older if the length is original.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see a real vintage lover got that yellow dress!

My own favorite Swirl:

swirlworld1.jpg

swirlworld4.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
I have washed my most recent Swirl once it dries and I press it I will post an IRL pic. Its small. Really small. When I put it on and wrap it, I get a gap in the back but not because the fabric doesn't meet, it does but because it just gets falls open. I am guessing this is because its too small.

PS

A-List Customer
I am going wear a Swirl or Swirl A Like for the rest of the week just for you....
There are no shoes in this because I am barefoot. 2 days of breaking in new shoes has left my feet blistered:(
nbyekw.jpg
[/IMG]
156r8yw.jpg
[/IMG]

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
PS said:
I am going wear a Swirl or Swirl A Like for the rest of the week just for you....
There are no shoes in this because I am barefoot. 2 days of breaking in new shoes has left my feet blistered:(
nbyekw.jpg
[/IMG]
156r8yw.jpg
[/IMG]

You are Stunnnnning PS! I love your swirl and you look so relaxed and beautiful! Diggin the Swirl A Like .. :D :D :D

Inky

One Too Many
I finally caved in - I couldn't stand it anymore and bid on my first Swirl - and won it!

3655289281_faa1de67df_o.jpg

I haven't received it yet, but it's NOS with hanging tags and I hope it not only fits but doesn't make me look too dumpy! Perfect for summer and my arms be @*#&!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay