Show us your TIES

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Veronica Parra, Sep 22, 2005.

1. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

I love the Sugar and Spice line. Been trying to find as many as I can, up to 3 or 4 so far. Nice tie!

2. Kahuna

Kahuna One of the Regulars

Just catching up after a week of having my computer in the shop. These two beauties were really up my alley. Anything with a tropical theme floats my boat. Cheers on both of them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I have two Sugar and Spice ties. Both are check patterns. Basically the same kind of stripes on yours, but with a few stripes at 90 degrees to the main strips, forming a loose check with big blocks of background colour between them.

I really like the slightly stretchy fabric they're made of.

4. Okay, this is the tie that at least reminds me the one that kools posted. (I admit that it's got a different swirl thing going on with it, but...)

[​IMG][​IMG]From Fashion Craft Cravats.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. kools

kools Practically Family

I dig it, Brim!

6. ^^Thanks, kools. Here's today's, marked hand-painted, but it is more silk-screen. No other labels, but a cooool design, and a nifty brocade background.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Nice. The tie is crying out for a windsor knot or at least a half one. :p

8. Looks like a combination of airbrushing and handpainting or maybe silk screen and airbrushing. I think pretty much all of those "swooshy" ties from that era were airbrushed rather than "handpainted". Though i guess airbrushing would qualify as handpainting (paint applied by a human).

9. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Agreed on the airbrushing. Some are very obvious like this one below. Note the sloppy airbrushed chevron pattern.
    [​IMG]

This one is better.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  10. The skill of the artist likely has a lot to do with it. :D I wonder how many they had to do every day. Maybe their hands got unsteady as the day wore on.;)

11. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Is it a crime to write that this handpainted ties are ugly? Because I think they are. No offense to the collectors.:confused::eek:

12. It's a matter of personal taste so an "In my opinion" lead in helps keep the fights to a minimum. I have only seen a few that I like, most don't do much for me at all.

13. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Of course. To make it sound more positive: In my opinion all of you have far better ties than this. I liked all the bold palm trees and the sugar and spice one too. :-D

14. Yeah, I agree, but suppose that I was kind of in a hurry (like those guys you see in the old movies...).

15. I think the latter is correct, Baron; silk screen and airbrush.

Regarding the discussion about hand-painted ties, I think that's it's true about some of them not being that well done, but there are others that are fantastic. All I can say is that when I find a hand-painted tie at the thrift store, I usually go for it!

16. If they are ugly to you then I can always take them off your hands. :p

17. Not likely, NorCal man...

18. The windsor knot is one of my favorites:
    [​IMG]

19. :rofl: Hoarder. :p

20. I agree. Most of the swirly, swooshy, airbrushed ties from that era that I've seen are indeed butt ugly. A lot of them are sooooooo damn wide, too. Really ridiculous.

None of this stops me wearing them, but some of them are really hard on the eyes.