Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

It is done by machine but the layout on the fabric makes it so you can only cut it one way and you get less ties out of the yardage than when you have the same rep pattern all over it. It doesn't really matter which way you cut it then. It is all about gett ing the most out of whatever fabric they use.

Well, not really. Whatever print you use, the fabric wastage can be minimised. They worked out the best layout for prints back in the day. Ties on the Resilient Construction model are still constructed in the same way, essentially, just a bit longer and so requiring wider stuff. There's no good economic reason why "knot planned" ties couldn't be made today. You can see a knot planned tie top right, here:

McCallPattern1.jpg

And I believe these two sports themed, uncut, examples from my collection are knot planned (sorta; not perfect examples, I grant you - the one on the packet is better). All the fabric is used: from left of each print is the linker piece, the thin end, and then the fat and.

McCallPattern2.jpg

Two of these patterns link together into about the space of a quarter block (note the selvage on the examples above, you can see they're printed in opposite directions, and slot together, with a little wastage, along the long diagonal seam. There is a tiny bit of wastage where the notch is at the fat end. Wastage is unavoidable, but on these patterns is minimised.

bk

Last edited:
Well, not really. Whatever print you use, the fabric wastage can be minimised. They worked out the best layout for prints back in the day. Ties on the Resilient Construction model are still constructed in the same way, essentially, just a bit longer and so requiring wider stuff. There's no good economic reason why "knot planned" ties couldn't be made today. You can see a knot planned tie top right, here:

McCallPattern1.jpg

And I believe these two sports themed, uncut, examples from my collection are knot planned (sorta; not perfect examples, I grant you - the one on the packet is better). All the fabric is used: from left of each print is the linker piece, the thin end, and then the fat and.

McCallPattern2.jpg

Two of these patterns link together into about the space of a quarter block (note the selvage on the examples above, you can see they're printed in opposite directions, and slot together, with a little wastage, along the long diagonal seam. There is a tiny bit of wastage where the notch is at the fat end. Wastage is unavoidable, but on these patterns is minimised.

bk

It is not necessarily only the fabric waste but also the printing or fabric setup that costs more money. You have to be absolutely perfect with the fabric and get it right every time so that they can be cut in stacks easily. There is where you have fabric waste in just setting up the pattern on the fabric so that you can have less waste when sent to production. You just can't print whole yards of these like you can rep patterns. There is much more leeway with a rep pattern. You don't have to line up what is essentially an eight inch square to fall perfectly in the knot area every time.
Time is also money and set up time is more like engineering than simply producing a rep pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael