Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
Those were made yesterday. :p Saint Pierre is a decent tie maker but they are made now in a vintage style. If it is cheap enough buy it. p

I wouldn't say it's cheap--certainly not cheap for your and my taste:p--but I'm interested. My concern is whether its a 50's reproduction or a true vintage, for that changes the whole value for me when I'm looking to drop that kind of money on a tie.

I wouldn't say it's cheap--certainly not cheap for your and my taste:p--but I'm interested. My concern is whether its a 50's reproduction or a true vintage, for that changes the whole value for me when I'm looking to drop that kind of money on a tie.
I did a little research after reading JP's post. Saint Pierre ties were designed by Richard Artunian, a 'necktie historian', so, yes, probably this tie is not as old as it would appear.

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
v%20tie_zps8cjpxi58.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

manhattan_zpspfej7qw5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Today at the local thrift shop I hit the boring jackpot.
b1508de9efa20cb2803078a6d55ae1db.jpg

656d28766fe07a35a70e73467e634383.jpg

The two Botanies are wool, the Wembley is Nor-East mystery fabric.
e20a2866a2c1c77f278c8f11663d925b.jpg

They make a very nice western style shorty when tied with a Windsor knot.

Annixter

Practically Family
They make a very nice western style shorty when tied with a Windsor knot.

Indeed.

I swung by a thrift store today and found two late 50's boring skinnies and one early 50's plain navy-blue wool tie with a tag stating it was woven by Indians in New Mexico. I couldn't bring myself to purchase them, even at $3 each. The Native American woven tie was cool because I've never seen one, but I would never do anything with a plain blue 2" wide tie, and it had a snagged thread that would kill the resale aspect.

I thought long and hard about snagging these three. Plain color ties just aren't really that appealing to me, but ultimately beggars can't be choosers. Good vintage is incredibly rare to find down here. Plus all three were less than $3, and I also found a nice 80s does 50s flecked tweed sport coat, so I was going through the check out line anyway.

Annixter

Practically Family
Yes, I always have the same thoughts go through my head when I stumble across a tie I don't really want: maybe a fellow lounger might want it? It would be a shame to see it sold for rags. Beggars can't be choosers, and I don't want to mess up my bold-tie-finding karma. What's $3 anyway. Etc. It seems like the more ties I put in the closet, the pickier I'm becoming and the more accepting I am of passing up less-wanted ties. If I knew I had a FL member who would buy them off me, I'd be happy, but more often than not I'd end up paying for a boring tie no one wants.:p

We could always donate them to JP for his sacrificial rituals to the wide-tie, bold-era gods?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
remember: one man's boring tie is another man's thing of beauty!

If you pick up vintage ties you don't like there's always the 'swap your vintage ties' thread.

Indeed.

I swung by a thrift store today and found two late 50's boring skinnies and one early 50's plain navy-blue wool tie with a tag stating it was woven by Indians in New Mexico. I couldn't bring myself to purchase them, even at $3 each. The Native American woven tie was cool because I've never seen one, but I would never do anything with a plain blue 2" wide tie, and it had a snagged thread that would kill the resale aspect.

That is when you think---what happened to the ties the guy had ten years previous?!:doh:

Yes, I always have the same thoughts go through my head when I stumble across a tie I don't really want: maybe a fellow lounger might want it? It would be a shame to see it sold for rags. Beggars can't be choosers, and I don't want to mess up my bold-tie-finding karma. What's $3 anyway. Etc. It seems like the more ties I put in the closet, the pickier I'm becoming and the more accepting I am of passing up less-wanted ties. If I knew I had a FL member who would buy them off me, I'd be happy, but more often than not I'd end up paying for a boring tie no one wants.:p

We could always donate them to JP for his sacrificial rituals to the wide-tie, bold-era gods?
Don’t give them to me! I already have enough junk ties that I tie up the tomato vines with and I don’t know how to make rag rugs by hand like my grandmother used to. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo