Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Brooks Brothers.

tmQQoZt.jpg

DMQbJre.jpg

IDQ154C.jpg

mo21Wzw.jpg

7CWGQwv.jpg

Good find, Phebus! It looks older than 1940s to me, too. I agree with Two Types.

Retro Spectator, looks like you had a good day digging through the tie bin. Nice finds. I like the way you have the tie tucked in. It's a look you don't see much of these days.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Nice ones Bamaboots.

Eddie those plaids are sporty. That Atkinson's is electric! Where do you put the batteries?

Thanks dh66! No batteries for that Atkinson - straight into the mains socket! Nice to have some praise from the US for some British ties ;)

Retro Spectator - the ties are great. If you're handy with a needle and thread (which I can see you are from your handmade ties) you can shorten those ties to make them the 'vintage' length. Take them in at the join around the neck. But as dh66 says, they do look fine tucked in. Also, your avatar is looking on point! What's that jacket you're wearing?

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
So, not exactly showing a tie, but I need advice. I bought a 30s six fold tie pattern from EvaDress, and I'm curious as to what fabrics and weaves to use?
I have some deep red charmeuse, would that work? It's a sorta velvety satin.
Any suggestions would be nice.

Go for it.

Really....... I have no idea.:)

Nice looking Smiley, JP. Interesting design, reminds me of Dutch or German folk art designs.

BootsNBraces

New in Town
Okay, nothing particularly exciting but I am new to all of this..

IMG_5171.jpg

Two tweed ties, 50p each from a Salvation army store. Have no idea how to tell the age of them but I've read that length can be a good indicator. The Blue one is 52.5" and the grey-blue one is 56"

I don't think the blue one has any age to it however the grey one looks as if it may, although other than the 'all wool, made in England, Dry clean only' label there is nothing identifying it.

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Joshua Barrett - take a look at the reverse of the ties. What are the labels like and how are they lined? Length can help indicate but as with many things it's a mixture of features that helps to identify. Any brand names?

BootsNBraces

New in Town
I don't think the Blue one has any age to it. It is a Lochcarron and has a modern looking polyester lining - It doesn't match in dimensions with their current one on their site but I'm guessing it is still 90s/00s.

The blue-grey one lacks a brand label - I don't know if that in itself can be a sign of age (or lack of). It also lined with what I think is polyester.

The more I look at them, the less convinced I am that either of them have any age :p

That being said - is there anything in particular to look out for when browsing ties - any tell-tale signs that allow you to buy with some degree of confidence it is an older piece?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I don't think the Blue one has any age to it. It is a Lochcarron and has a modern looking polyester lining - It doesn't match in dimensions with their current one on their site but I'm guessing it is still 90s/00s.

The blue-grey one lacks a brand label - I don't know if that in itself can be a sign of age (or lack of). It also lined with what I think is polyester.

The more I look at them, the less convinced I am that either of them have any age :p

That being said - is there anything in particular to look out for when browsing ties - any tell-tale signs that allow you to buy with some degree of confidence it is an older piece?

Generally speaking older (British) ties tend to be unlined, and are finely stitched along their blade edges (I can't remember what this is called, but someone on here can tell you I'm sure). Some are lined, but they are rarer I'd say and tend to be the higher-end ones. Also, as esteban68 points out, they don't tend to have that rectangular label on the back for you to slip the small blade through. Sometimes they have a tag label stitched into the middle seam (like Tootal - take a look at the Tootal ties thread on this Board - their construction is pretty typical of most British vintage ties), or they have them stitched into the small blade at the end. SOME have them in the big blade, like Trias, but not many. As for fabrics, it's wool, cashmere, rayon, Terylene for the 50s onwards, and of course silk.
Some labels to look out for are Trias, Linosair, Tootal, Munrospun, Klipper, Vivax, Damax, Wesenco, Favourite, Lochmarl, Foster Brothers, Grenville etc. And if you ever find any you don't like you know who to some to ;)
Hope that helps Joshua :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo