Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

20200420_190139.jpg

Wembley.

Something like this has been on my radar for decades now. The ultimate in thrift store chic around 40 years ago, they have slipped into the realm of vintage and prices have climbed beyond reasonable. I found this one for $4. I was over the moon.

As a point of conversation, how did some of you guys find yourselves interested in vintage ties, or vintage anything else? Mine began in the thrift stores of the early 80s, when they were ripe with fancy cowboy shirts, bowling shirts with other people's names stitched on them, sharkskin suits, and loud ties. These days they're full of the crap from the "90s and early 2000s. The good stuff generally fetches a heavy dime in vintage shops if you can even find it. I'm not object to paying if it's something I want badly enough....but it's always better when it turns up on the cheap.

The hits just keep coming Dale! Great finds all around.

Ah ... thrifts and vintage stores from the 1980s. Pretty much my whole wardrobe back then. Most folks didn’t get it. Like when someone asked if my name was “Ralph” when I was wearing my Marshfield Casket Company bowling shirt from the 1950s. I met my future mother-in-law while wearing a 1930s pin-stripe suit, Chinese canvas flat shoes and riding my Peugeot PX-10 racing bicycle over to visit her daughter. It’s a wonder I was allowed into the family.

Anyway ... killer ties and good memories @dh66 !

The hits just keep coming Dale! Great finds all around.

Ah ... thrifts and vintage stores from the 1980s. Pretty much my whole wardrobe back then. Most folks didn’t get it. Like when someone asked if my name was “Ralph” when I was wearing my Marshfield Casket Company bowling shirt from the 1950s. I met my future mother-in-law while wearing a 1930s pin-stripe suit, Chinese canvas flat shoes and riding my Peugeot PX-10 racing bicycle over to visit her daughter. It’s a wonder I was allowed into the family.

Anyway ... killer ties and good memories @dh66 !

I hear you loud and clear, Bob. Most folks didn't get it. Still don't. Glad I could stir up the good memories.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Those were some great finds Dale. I remember first wondering into thrifts in the early 70s, when 30s and 40s suits were $2. Ha ha. And there were probably 5 or 10 of them in the store at any visit.

I put on a tie today. May Co.
IMG_3194 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3192 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3193 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Not sure when this one is from.

Michael

Those were some great finds Dale. I remember first wondering into thrifts in the early 70s, when 30s and 40s suits were $2. Ha ha. And there were probably 5 or 10 of them in the store at any visit.

I put on a tie today. May Co.
IMG_3194 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3192 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3193 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Not sure when this one is from.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. And thats,a mighty nice on you got there. Reminds me of cathedral windows.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
That arrow is fantastic, Michael!

I got a whole bunch of 30's-50's ties, which I'm going to show here soon,
to bring the thread a bit forward again...

Today I start with the woolies:

striped one in blue-white-red - no brand
38402047tk.jpg

plain one - very dark blue (nearly black) - no brand
38402049ps.jpg

small herringbone weave in gray/yellow - no brand
38402050mo.jpg

Last edited:

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Thanks Eric!
All the wool ties are really practical and especially good to wear with tweed.
And I agree with you: The "colourful" ones are very good to combine without looking too flashy.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
That arrow is fantastic, Michael!

I got a whole bunch of 30's-50's ties, which I'm going to show here soon,
to bring the thread a bit forward again...

Today I start with the woolies:

striped one in blue-white-red - no brand
38402047tk.jpg

plain one - very dark blue (nearly black) - no brand
38402049ps.jpg

small herringbone weave in gray/yellow - no brand
38402050mo.jpg
Thanks Matt. I've very keen on those woolies of yours with the unfinished/fringed ends. I lie that look a lot.

Today is one labeled to Brighton of Paris
IMG_3299 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3298 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3297 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
4-28-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day,
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ