Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Art Fawcett once said that Cheney's bird lines ("Game Birds", "Tropical Plumage", etc.) were from the very beginning (the later 1930s?) an astonishing success, and other tie companies scrambled to follow suit.

He is right as usual. :D The example I posted is from the 30s. One of the earliest and most complete that I have found. Other companies did follow---like they do now. I can't think of the brand names now but it certainly started the theme tie craze.
A few examples I could find quickly: Unknown, Mallard duck---the real thing from Cheney and Smoothie Royal:
8273.jpg
4439.jpg
8265.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett once said that Cheney's bird lines ("Game Birds", "Tropical Plumage", etc.) were from the very beginning (the later 1930s?) an astonishing success, and other tie companies scrambled to follow suit.

I'm thought that I had read that Game Birds came out around '47, but could be wrong. Pilgrim had some early entries during WWII, as regards geometric shapes; I'm going to do some research on that.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
He is right as usual. :D The example I posted is from the 30s. One of the earliest and most complete that I have found. Other companies did follow---like they do now. I can't think of the brand names now but it certainly started the theme tie craze.
A few examples I could find quickly: Unknown, Mallard duck---the real thing from Cheney and Smoothie Royal:
8273.jpg
4439.jpg
8265.jpg

Are those Game Birds or Tropical Plumage?

Gene

Practically Family
Big score! eBay tie lot for $5.99 and I was the only bidder. The seller made it sound like the ties were falling apart (just some storage dirt and a nip or two).

tumblr_lytv6wmi0W1r7s6tdo1_500.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
8273.jpg
4439.jpg
8265.jpg

Check out these from a 1945 advertisement. Some similarities?

Photoon2012-02-03at1020.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
More from the bag...

Photoon2012-02-02at1859.jpg

Very colorful, feels/looks like rayon taffeta, only has resilient construction label; National Shirt Company tie; and for those of you who have never seen one, an Original French Panel tie, this one coming from a dry goods store in Canton, Ohio, early-'40s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot