Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

DamianM

Vendor
late 30s- early 40s art deco brocade.

il_570xN.632757606_4p0c.jpg

il_570xN.632864079_s0ol.jpg

Late 30s By Towncraft De Lux

il_570xN.632864601_7cop.jpg

il_570xN.632757896_lps2.jpg

I posted them in the classifieds aswell

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, both of them. I bought the brown one from Mountain Man here on the FL and the other is an ebay find.
I really dig deco designs like this and rather calm checks and stripes. The latter may be seen as boring by some here on the lounge but I think their colors and pattern are destincive "golden era" and not comparable to todays offerings.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I ended up buying these three. I really like minimalist, wool ties. The fold construction and the stitching at the bottoms are details I appreciate, as well as their light weight. I already own two ties identical to the solids, and the plaid one is nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221253251406?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Front:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/9mYAAMXQdGJR4Eih/$T2eC16N,!y8E9s2filutBR4EihJrOg~~60_57.JPG

Back:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/~CQAAOxyfS1R4Ei0/$(KGrHqJ,!n4FHbU0o7IyBR4Ei0ZN-w~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Do you believe the dating of 1940s is accurate? Are they later, or earlier?

Attachments

• $T2eC16N,!y8E9s2filutBR4EihJrOg~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!y8E9s2filutBR4EihJrOg~~60_57.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nice one JP. Excellent colors.
One of the things I like so much about a lot of bold look ties (and vintage stuff in general) is the combining of colors that you just don't see these days. This tie is a fine example of that. Gray is not terribly hard to come by now, but that brick red color (at least that's how it appears on my screen) is a little rarer to see, and the likelihood that you could find the two together is slim. It's almost as if designers are afraid of too much contrast, everything seems muted.

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
It's done! Here I am wearing my new homemade necktie. It's a bit stiff, but that's mostly the front, and that doesn't really matter. Which is better, the schoolboy knot, or the half-windsor? The first picture I did the schoolboy. The second, the half-windsor. Personally, I think the half-windsor looks more proportionate.
PEl7fo5.jpg
wZxT9mi.jpg

Nice one JP. Excellent colors.
One of the things I like so much about a lot of bold look ties (and vintage stuff in general) is the combining of colors that you just don't see these days. This tie is a fine example of that. Gray is not terribly hard to come by now, but that brick red color (at least that's how it appears on my screen) is a little rarer to see, and the likelihood that you could find the two together is slim. It's almost as if designers are afraid of too much contrast, everything seems muted.

I have no idea what goes through modern tie designer’s minds but it sure isn’t very innovative. :doh: The colors nowadays are so bland and washed out that it looks like you have owned the tie for fifty years but you bought it yesterday. :rolleyes: No wonder tie wearing has gone down over the years. There is nothing to choose from but boring ties that look like something you were forced to wear in school. :doh: Other than that, I have no opinion. :p

It's done! Here I am wearing my new homemade necktie. It's a bit stiff, but that's mostly the front, and that doesn't really matter. Which is better, the schoolboy knot, or the half-windsor? The first picture I did the schoolboy. The second, the half-windsor. Personally, I think the half-windsor looks more proportionate.
PEl7fo5.jpg
wZxT9mi.jpg

I am always partial to the windsor---half or otherwise. :p

Christopher Scoggins

New in Town
I prefer a full Windsor with my wider ties, but I'm starting to take a liking to the four-in-hand now that I've started wearing collar pins/bars whenever I wear a tie. The truth is it all comes down to face framing. (And personal taste.) I'd definitely say that the Windsor suits your face more than the four-in-hand.

Nice work on the tie R.S..
Pics are too small on my phone to tell about the knot, although it looks better with the tip above the trouser waist in the second shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails