Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
The "Bold Look" is what I would consider the start of "Traditional American", when every sartorial good was wide and excessive, from ties to hat brims to clasps to suit cuts. It just seems to define the "tasteful vulgarity", as I call it (somewhat sloppy, but still elegant) of Americans, when Americans were quick-witted, sharp-minded, bold (not stupid, as many Europeans would've called us), and proud of our hard-earned wealth (which is naturally displayed in period clothing, especially our ties), just like period automobiles (not many European cars can get away with whitewalls thicker than the tires and more chrome decoration than steel). Regrettably, that American doesn't really exist anymore. Elements of the "American Look" remained from the 1950s to the 1960s (motif ties seem to be more American than European), and came back in the 1970s (albeit, there was more polyester than there should have been).

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not following one period in particular, but I personally like to wear brighter ties that stand out, as well as plain ties, although wearing any vintage tie is likely to make one stand out, somewhat. My collection does not include many stripes at all, but I certainly do wear them. I posted this a few pages back, but here are my latest purchases. These are mostly conservative looking mid-century ties. I was drawn to the light colors, and especially the one in the middle. I think with these new ties, I'll take a break from buying more narrow ties for some time. Now, I'll expect to be looking out for more bold, and wider ties. I don't think I have a painted tie in my collection yet, either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-nec...ujylwI8Vhe2niLGTnguSE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I never mentioned the word 'skinny'. You must be confusing it with "beautifully subtle stripes".

:rofl: Riiiggghhhttt.
I never put the words "beautiful" and "subtle stripes" together. lol lol Boring, plebian, ultra conservative, minimalistic, unimaginative, dull, trite, mundane, characterless, drab, unexciting and vapid maybe but never beautiful. lol lol lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's fine, we've got preferences. I think striped ties can be nice, but I do admit they are over-saturated today, worn constantly by politicians, lawyers, and businessmen, as well as others. A striped vintage tie could still be more of a statement, though. Now, what about showing some pictures of your skinny ties? :)

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
:rofl: Riiiggghhhttt.
I never put the words "beautiful" and "subtle stripes" together. lol lol Boring, plebian, ultra conservative, minimalistic, unimaginative, dull, trite, mundane, characterless, drab, unexciting and vapid maybe but never beautiful. lol lol lol

:eek: Well certainly nothing subtle about your post.

I guess we have to read it in the spirit of your previous remark which I agree with:

jamespowers said:
The tie is an expression of individuality and self when you wear a suit.

Now if clownish, garish, gaudy... pardon "bold" ties are your preference... :icon_smil

Plebeian, vapid rubes like myself will probably never understand how motives like geese, cowboys, dogs or horse's heads could ever be interpreted as remotely exciting, progressive, imaginative or original. [huh] :p

The Good said:
I think striped ties can be nice, but I do admit they are over-saturated today, worn constantly by politicians, lawyers, and businessmen, as well as others. A striped vintage tie could still be more of a statement, though.

Yes - key word here: "vintage".
If one confuses the omnipresent modern striped ties with those of the first half of the 20th century one hasn't paid attention to the details.

Last edited:
Well certainly nothing subtle about your post.

I guess we have to read it in the spirit of your previous remark which I agree with:

Now if clownish, garish, gaudy... pardon "bold" ties are your preference...

Plebeian, vapid rubes like myself will probably never understand how motives like geese, cowboys, dogs or horse's heads could ever be interpreted as remotely exciting, progressive, imaginative or original. [huh] :p

Yes - key word here: "vintage".
If one confuses the omnipresent modern striped ties with those of the first half of the 20th century one hasn't paid attention to the details.

I have never been good at subtle. Just ask me. I’ll tell you what I think. :p

You have a complete right to boring. Feel free. :p I love geese, dogs, horses, cows, cowboys and ships:
$_12.JPG
$_57.JPG

Clowns LOVE stripes and polka dots. lol

images

The omnipresent striped tie is a striped tie. Show me how a vintage one is different from a vintage one. They are both striped. lol

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Comparing a modern striped tie to a vintage one (like the yellow and green Italian silk 1930s tie I am wearing as I type this) is like comparing a late 1940s hand painted tie to a modern 'comedy' print tie with a picture of Homer Simpson on it.

No comparison.

Thank god we don't all like the same ties!

Maybe we should start a tie-swap thread: post-pics of the ties you want to get rid of and explain what you are looking for. Then let the trading commence.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Show me how a vintage one is different from a vintage one.They are both striped.

As long as both are "vintage" (1920-40's) I am fine with them. ;)

A tie not only consists of pattern. :nono:

If one can't see differences in fabric, weave, color and cut one is still stuck at an extremely superficial level.

If stripe equals stripe regardless of any other factor, I guess these ties are on par with "Bold Look" ties.

Western

Winter

Animal

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Further to this discussion ...

... most (if not all) 'Bold Look' ties would look pretty ridiculous combined with my current outfit (grey flannels and an early 1930s German jacket).

For me, the tie should compliment the outfit, rather than the outfit just being a platform to show off the tie.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think it's too easy to generalise and say 'all bold ties are gaudy' or 'all striped ties are boring'. both statements are way too broad.

TT, while i'm generally on the side of 'subtle' when it comes to tie choice, i've seen bold ties used well in otherwise quite un-flashy outfits, particularly if you just see a small amount of the tie and the rest is hidden behind a v-neck sweater. it can work a bit like a tiny accent of hot colour in an otherwise muted painting.

e.g. the red tie here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Style-Icons&p=1797362&viewfull=1#post1797362

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
What does it say about a "Bold Look" tie though, if it looks better mostly hidden, when it was intended to be shown (almost) in it's entirety?

But as was said before the tie is only a part of the entire outfit.

A "Bold Look" tie (of course not all were cheesy or gaudy - some were quite nice - particularly the more abstract motifs) goes well with a suit of the specific place and era. But mixing it with a 20-30's suit looks very off to me.

(I see the point about the "hot color effect" you described - however I would have tried to achieve it with a brightly colored tie of the same period (style) as the suit/waistcoat.)

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
What does it say about a "Bold Look" tie though, if it looks better mostly hidden, when it was intended to be shown (almost) in it's entirety.

i don't see either of the ties in the link above as being intended to be shown in their entirety. they're an 'all over' design.
you can show as much or as little as you choose.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I qualified it with "almost" - but indeed I was writing under the assumption that also the "all over" designs of the Bold Look era were meant to be worn with two-piece suits (the waistcoat/sweater under the suit having fallen mostly out of use) featuring long, low cut lapels revealing most of the tie.

(Of course when worn under a higher-closing loafer or Hollywood jacket, it would be mostly covered - but the "standard" for ties were certainly the then fashionable suits.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy