Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
A tie for a nice start to Friday with cold ales in the future at happy hour. I saved this tie from someone who thought it was only good for crafts. It had a nasty stain down the blade and the overall colors were muddy, and the lining was torn and loose--cheap price, though, for this Dali design. With a lot of attention, I was able to get out the stain on the blade, bring the colors back, and mend the lining.

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Hi guys found this tie recently at a vintage fair. I think it's 1940s 50s but not sure and could possibly by Liberty?? Any help would be great!
69d4415dc42756c1c2531e1764ecb37a_zpsulz0aoyl.jpg

aed15eb6f93b564f62d28a1d2ec6c8db_zpsci8dfazv.jpg

Cheers
Freddie

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here are some American ties I've had knocking about for a while. Nothing too outlandish in the patterns, so they suit me fine! All wide and short.

A brown polka-dot 'Forman & Clark' - don't know anything about this company, but i would say the tie is from the 1940s or early 1950s. Silk.

A sort-of-Paisley 'Manhattan' - similar era I would assume. Silk.

An unlined and actually quite modern-looking 'Manhattan', again probably 40s/50s. Silk.

And a square-end 'Manhattan Shirt Co.', presumably a bit later. Also silk. If anyone is interested I might swap this one.

If any of you gents or ladies and give me some info on their precise dates or on the companies, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks for looking!

Nice ones Eddie. I like the unlined, navy and red Manhattan. The square end one might be late 50s but I'd guess 60s. Still, a nice one, the square end ones have their own cool vibe, something more than ordinary.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Estaban - Hah I'm afraid that one ain't for swaps!

Freddie - As far as I understand one of the rules of thumb is that over 50" means it's 1950s. I've got it in a book somewhere and found it to be the case among my ties. It isn't concrete of course but just a bit of an indicator. Makes sense with the decreasing trouser rise and loss of waistcoats.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Nice ones Eddie. I like the unlined, navy and red Manhattan. The square end one might be late 50s but I'd guess 60s. Still, a nice one, the square end ones have their own cool vibe, something more than ordinary.[/

Dh66 - Thanks! I don't think my scanner picked that Manhattan up very well - it's actually a really vibrant purple and orange! I reserve it for the days I feel especially jazzy ;) And yes square ended ones are OK - they always do feel a little Bohemian!

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Freddie: interersting paisley tie. Very simple label that certainly reminds me of earlier ties. My guess is fifties maybe even sixties.

I'd agree - the unlined opening at the back is relatively short compared to older ties, which tend to open up to about 5-6" up the front blade of the tie, whereas if I'm not mistaken that one seems to be just a couple of inches. If that makes sense ;)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Estaban - Hah I'm afraid that one ain't for swaps!

Freddie - As far as I understand one of the rules of thumb is that over 50" means it's 1950s. I've got it in a book somewhere and found it to be the case among my ties. It isn't concrete of course but just a bit of an indicator. Makes sense with the decreasing trouser rise and loss of waistcoats.

can't knock a guy for trying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails