Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I love your fifties ties Shamus. I have a whole box of them. I'm saving a few for when my rat rod is done.

Marc,

Lauren and I will get the camera going at her studio and take some pics of my collection. I've got some weird ones, especially my ultra 1970'sesque late 30's tie. That thing is a trip.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The way my job is I don't often get to wear my 1940s ties, but they do make for a good display in one of my rooms. I tried to count them a while back, but gave up after 1000. Somewhere in there are two Salvador Dali ties. I found them both at yard sales for a quarter. There's a nice nude woman tie (in the upper right) that I've worn only once in public.

cravats.jpg

Quigley Brown said:
The way my job is I don't often get to wear my 1940s ties, but they do make for a good display in one of my rooms. I tried to count them a while back, but gave up after 1000. Somewhere in there are two Salvador Dali ties. I found them both at yard sales for a quarter. There's a nice nude woman tie (in the upper right) that I've worn only once in public.

cravats

Wow! You have some really great and famous pattern ties there. The cow and the cowboy are great ones. Are they Signets? I have a Signet with the cowboy from 1947 named after the movie Duel in the Sun. There were five ties in that series and all I have managed to get is one so far.
I just got five from a yard sale last week. The cleaners did a real bang up job on them. Photos to come later.

Regards to all,

J

born2late

New in Town
Hi everyone-

I posted these pics in the "General Attire" category, but I thought they might also belong in this "Show Us Your Ties" forum, as well.

A friend of mine is a collector of vintage 1940's American neckties. He sent the pics below (and others) of his collection to his friends and family last year. He's a nice chap and we talk often about all things "vintage". I've seen his collection once in person, and it is truly is a sight to behold...

Enjoy!

Collection1.jpg

Collection2.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Holy Hand paints Bat-Man!

Umm, yeah, those are beautiful! I have never seen so many 40's ties in one place! Makes me not want to even share mine.

But, oh well, I'll share any way!

ties57ax.jpg

ties47bm.jpg

ties12bz.jpg

ties25sg.jpg

I have a slew of 30's and early 40's ties but, all in good time.

WR.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I suppose so. I have gotten more ties now since I took those photos earlier this year. I'll take some more photos and post them soon.

I have a sickness; I hardly ever pass on a good tie. Because once you see one, you know the next time you will not be so lucky.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like!

WR.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Riser- it's Navy with a Red stripe/white border.

It's actually a 'modern' silk tie (disliked present from an Aunt...)which I removed the stuffing from, so it's now a nice, floppy tie. It's the tie I'm wearing in the Linen Suit pictures-
I started a thread ages ago entitled " Vintage ties from Modern ties...", apparently with little interest...
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3018&highlight=vintage+ties

IF you find a 'nice' modern tie, you can rip the guts out of it and leave the actual tie- which gives you a floppy, rather than boardy tie, which will make a tiny knot. If the tie isn't tapered enough- is wider at the top- you get a longer knot- that's not so bad...
Anyway- nice stripes are hard enough to find- vintage or modern- so I did it.

I like the plain ties- don't forget- Joe Average would often sport a plain tie.
The Black one is very fine linen, the Taupe one is WW2 US Army, the Red one on the left is a classic- it's highly textured and has a fleck in it, it's really floppy. The Red one third from right is acetate, very flimsy and has a horizontal rib through it. The tartan one is wool Barathea cloth. Second from right is a hand painted jacquard-

Anyhoo...

B
T

missjo

Practically Family
I have over 60 vintage unused 1930s ties, mostly made from silk, some wartime replacement materials.
They came from a little shop that kept everything they didn sell since the 1920s!
I went mad when they showed me the boxes with the ties in perfect new condition, they even had to rip the paperbands around the boxes, they hadnt even been opened!

Although I dont wear them (often) they are just a delight to look at and hold, sooo soft and shiny.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I picked up my first few ties before I realized that 30's ties were SUPPOSED to be floral, colorful, or abstract. Oops.

(Click on thumbnails for larger pics.)

So I picked up a hand-painted wool gabardine, short and squared, but I'm afraid it's too close to the color of this suit to work. (Looks like an add for the new movie Men In Brown.)

I got the nice, safe red paisley w/ black tie, and although this color scheme works, it feels too common.

So I think I'm sticking w/ the blue, heck, I already picked up matching suspenders...of course, THAT tie is modern, not vintage, but just as shiny, and only slightly wider than the paisley.

Does this just look INNATELY wrong, for some reason I'm not getting? Yeah, the blue and brown don't blend like the red and brown (brown is roughly half red and half green, you know), but I think it looks striking!

Thank you for any and all response...I just don't know, myself. Illumination, please! :D

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I find that I work with earth tones when wearing brown. Green, darker hues of red, and blues work. Those ties all look too thin, though.
A look I noticed about late 30's and 40's is that the V of the double-breasted suit should be tight enough so that the collar and tie take up most of the area. That means that the collar should be a bit longer (and maybe not a button down) and the tie should be fatter. I just noticed that your ties seem to be on the skinny side.

maltese.jpg

r96canadaplain-crosby.jpg

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
That's one of the other reasons I'm going to stick w/ the blue - that tie is more like 3 1/2 - 4 " wide - wider than the vintage ties I picked up. I intentionally held it a bit thinner for many of those pics, but I won't bother if wide is the word... ;)

A vintage or repro shirt will just have to wait until next year...for this year it's just going to be primarily needed as 6 square inches of white around the tie.:p But I admit, I have NO CLUE what a vintage shirt should look like...there WERE button-downs in the 30's-40's, weren't there? But admittedly, maybe not worn with suits even if there were.

Thanks, Ghost!

EDIT: Looking again at those pics you posted vs. the ones I took, I see an explanation for the difference...those are both sitting, one even hunched forward slightly with both arms in front - so the collars will push a bit closer together. Not much more, but slightly exaggerated. In contrast, I was taking my pictures quick (10 second timer, and it takes at least 8 seconds to get the smirk off my face), and many of them I was holding the jacket back to show the tie, so even when I let go of it it was pushed back and off the shoulders slightly. Still, a longer, more pointed collar without the button downs would help fill that gap better. Good call. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21