Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Vanson Jackets

Evian

New in Town
I picked up a wolverine vanson jacket. It fit me perfectly but it felt like it was cheaply made
. There wasn't that much padding. I could feel the leather pressing against the lining. Is this just a rare occurence or can i expect this from all their jackets?

Peacoat

Bartender
There is nothing cheap about my Vanson Enfield. It is a quality jacket all the way around. The cowhide is heavier than even the Aero cow, if you can believe that.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I picked up a wolverine vanson jacket. It fit me perfectly but it felt like it was cheaply made
. There wasn't that much padding. I could feel the leather pressing against the lining. Is this just a rare occurence or can i expect this from all their jackets?

This padding that you're speaking of is called batting. You won't find it on upper-end jackets such as Vanson or Aero jackets. The leather pressing against the liner of the jacket is the mark of a jacket where batting isn't used to make the jacket seem more hard core then it actually is. You can expect this pressing of the leather against the liner on all Vanson jackets as well as on all other jackets of high quality leather and craftsmanship.

Your jacket could have been made from Vanson's Firenze leather, which does render it a jacket which isn't on the level of most Vanson jackets...look into it. If you want top notch quality, you want to get Vanson's Competition Weight leather!

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I've got three Vansons and am very happy with the quality. That said, all were purchased prior to Vanson moving their manufacturing to Costa Rica. I have no experience with their jackets made outside of the United States.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you want top notch quality, you want to get Vanson's Competition Weight leather!

Yep.

I've got three Vansons and am very happy with the quality. That said, all were purchased prior to Vanson moving their manufacturing to Costa Rica. I have no experience with their jackets made outside of the United States.

All of the manufacturing wasn't moved out of the country, and I believe it was San Salvador instead of Costa Rico. Not sure of the percentage of the jackets coming from the US, but believe it is about 2/3. I got mine after the move, and it is made in the US.

This padding that you're speaking of is called batting. You won't find it on upper-end jackets such as Vanson or Aero jackets. The leather pressing against the liner of the jacket is the mark of a jacket where batting isn't used to make the jacket seem more hard core then it actually is. You can expect this pressing of the leather against the liner on all Vanson jackets as well as on all other jackets of high quality leather and craftsmanship.

Your jacket could have been made from Vanson's Firenze leather, which does render it a jacket which isn't on the level of most Vanson jackets...look into it. If you want top notch quality, you want to get Vanson's Competition Weight leather!

Yep on all counts.

Last edited:

I thought it was El Salvador.
Vanson did not move their production. They opened up a production site down there. They still produce jackets in the US.
As I understand it, Vanson employees, Vanson trained. Vanson run.
Reports from folks who have jackets Vanson's made in El Salvadore are that the jackets are indistinguishable from those made in the US.....albeit the label says "Made in El Salvador".

Here is a link to an email from Kim at Vanson to somebody asking about their non US production, posted over at the "Film Jacket Forum";;

http://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2902

Last edited:

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Like Peacoat and CodeRed, I also own an Enfield.
It's an awesome jacket.
Very thick leather that is graining up nicely.
Every stitch is straight and evenly spaced.
The whole thing just exudes quality.
I like it even better than my Aero Highwayman in some respects.
Lenny

Danner

New in Town
Hey there folks!

I own my Vanson CSRX Mark II for about 6 years and its one of the best
made leather jackets I've seen... especially when it comes to motorcycle jackets and suits. These are often made of sprayed leather which do not develop such a nice patina over the years like Vanson's competetive hides (which are chrome tanned like Aero's FQHH)... I ride the jacket with full gp armour and the Streamliner inlay on cold days and it just feels bulletproof!

A very nice piece of craftsmanship and good lookin' too ;)

Here are some pics (The stitches on the front are from old patches I sew on and removed...)
dsci0089i.jpg

dsci0084w.jpg

dsci0085z.jpg

Btw Code Red, how long did you have too wait on the HH Enfield? I didn't know that Vanson makes HH jackets anymore. I love the style of the Enfield! :cool:

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I thought it was El Salvador.
Vanson did not move their production. They opened up a production site down there. They still produce jackets in the US.
As I understand it, Vanson employees, Vanson trained. Vanson run.
Reports from folks who have jackets Vanson's made in El Salvadore are that the jackets are indistinguishable from those made in the US.....albeit the label says "Made in El Salvador".

Here is a link to an email from Kim at Vanson to somebody asking about their non US production, posted over at the "Film Jacket Forum";;

http://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2902

Hm, I was going off this article which states:

Vanson Leathers can't dictate U.S. policy, but it can go after the competition, and it's now planning to establish a manufacturing operation in Costa Rica for a new line of lesser-priced, entry-level gear.

[huh]

In any event, like I said I don't have any experience with any non-US made Vanson gear. It might be made by (non-American) Vanson employees, in a Vanson factory festooned with Vanson logos on every corner. It's still not made here -- for whatever that is worth.

ampgoesto11

New in Town

Not necessarily. The "batting," as you call it is sometimes placed between the leather and the relatively thinner liner to improve warmth, not always to present a perception of thickness. Two of my LW 4.0 cowhide jackets have an inner thick cotton lining that improves their cold-weather capabilities to my liking. None of my Vansons have had this liner, and I consider their quality to be among the best, regardless of where they were produced. Why would we assume that a jacket made in south america is of lesser quality than one made in MA? Is there any real evidence to suggest that a Vanson made south of the border is of lesser quality than one made in the US? Maybe there is, I don't know. I struggle to believe that Vanson would risk their reputation by selling lesser quality products, regardless of where they are made. I suppose time will tell.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have no doubt that the quality of the Salvadore made Vansons are on par with the USA made ones. But, when I pay 500+ bucks for a jacket, I would expect it to be "proudly made in the US of A". It would be best if Vanson can distinguish their product lines between the countries of origins. The made in the USA factor is one of the major factor that I pay premium shipping cost for my jackets. Just like UK's Aero and Lewis. I think this is a never ending argument, but just ask yourself, would you buying a Ferrari that is made in Turkey, or an BMW which is made in Romania? If there are other alternatives, I would stay away from these brands.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
My 2 cents... if the jackets are made in an off-shore factory to save costs... then I would like those cost savings passed on to me, their end consumer. Otherwise, I'd rather have a US made product all things being equal, albeit the wait time may be longer.

Anyway, great jackets by all accounts from what I've heard and seen. I did demo a perf comp weight sport jacket once. Superb air flow and leather but I prefer their more traditional designs, purely aesthetic reasons.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I wish we had those sort of thrift shops here in Oz. I never see any decent jackets out and about socially, and I certainly see any at the goodwill or markets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy