Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

Speedster

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow, that's a lot of cash!! Does anyone actually pay those prices? Or are their other more affordable cars that would be more popular.

Yes, that's a lot of cash. If you want a car you have to pay (a lot) for it here. But generally people buy smaller cars. I drive this one:

Soelv_Polo_16RS4.jpg

A 2005 Volkswagen Polo (the smaller sister to the Rabbit/Golf). It costs about USD 34,000.-.

The cheapest new cars will cost you around USD 17,000.- and that will be the likes of Hyundai Atos, Chevrolet (Daewoo) Matiz and Kia Picanto.

Typical company cars are Ford Focus and Mondeo and Volkswagen Rabbit/Golf and Passat (cars in the pricerange USD 40,000-60,000).

There is also a big 2nd-hand market for 10-15 years old Mercedes, BMW and Audis imported from Germany.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I believe Ford had two factories in Germany... in fact, Ford tried to sue the US for damages to their plants from the Allied bombing!

I recall being on a film shoot... a buddy of mine has a '35 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck converted into a troop transport... this smart ace extra was being a smart mouth and saying: Oh yeah, we're so period correct with a FORD for a German troop transport... I mentioned to him that it is accurate and why... I informed him that my friend's don't do anything "Non period" when it comes to German re-enacting or film work!... dork.:rolleyes:

=WR=

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Ouch

Not a very good picture of my baby - a 2005 Scion xB - I took it about 0530 today. Was driving to work when a piece of metal came through the windshield and bounced off my seat. A tri-axle dumptruck going the other direction had an engine failure just as we were passing. Oil and metal all over the place. I'll post a better picture after I get new glass in her.

When I got back home my wife read me my horoscope - "It's definitely the wrong time to travel in pursuit of a serious connection." Who has God has no sens of humor. :rolleyes:

Time to call the glass shop...

Air Boss said:
Not a very good picture of my baby - a 2005 Scion xB - I took it about 0530 today. Was driving to work when a piece of metal came through the windshield and bounced off my seat. A tri-axle dumptruck going the other direction had an engine failure just as we were passing. Oil and metal all over the place. I'll post a better picture after I get new glass in her.

When I got back home my wife read me my horoscope - "It's definitely the wrong time to travel in pursuit of a serious connection." Who has God has no sens of humor. :rolleyes:

Time to call the glass shop...

You think that is bad, I had my 1957 GMC truck in for an engine rebuild. There is a fire hydrant out in front of the shop on the sidewalk. Well, some fool hit it and sent chunks of concrete flying into the air. It broke the back wrap around windshield on my deluxe cab. The guy at the shop wasn't very happy to be stuck with a $1,500 bill for a new rear windshield that had to be custom bent due to the wraparound angles at the sides. :eek: I suppose I could have gotten a new one from a few friends of mine but it wouldn't have been "brand new." :D
That guy's car insurance company have been screaming when they got that bill because a few other cars' windshields were also damaged. :p

Regards,

J

Air Boss

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
The guy at the shop wasn't very happy to be stuck with a $1,500 bill for a new rear windshield that had to be custom bent due to the wraparound angles at the sides.

Wow! I wouldn't have guessed those wrap arounds would cost so much.

tomservo

New in Town
This may be a little off topic, but those of you with 30's-40's cars, where do you get parts for them? Do you have special shops nearby? I have been looking for a classic lately, but would like to know before I do. Thanks all.

Old parts

There are places that specialize in old parts and reproductions for the restoration trade. I know that Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs has engine rebuild parts back to 1900 and the make pistons themselves. Although most of you may not hot rod your cars those magazine often have ads for restoration parts houses too. Seek and ye shall find.

John in Covina said:
There are places that specialize in old parts and reproductions for the restoration trade. I know that Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs has engine rebuild parts back to 1900 and the make pistons themselves. Although most of you may not hot rod your cars those magazine often have ads for restoration parts houses too. Seek and ye shall find.

Egge is very good for supplying engine parts. They did so for my 1959 Oldsmobile. Checking any Hemmings Motor News will get you in touch with parts for just about anything. Also forums dedicated to a particular Marque will usually be able to direct you to parts suppliers. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
tomservo said:
This may be a little off topic, but those of you with 30's-40's cars, where do you get parts for them? Do you have special shops nearby? I have been looking for a classic lately, but would like to know before I do. Thanks all.

Well, it really depends on the make of auto you choose. I drive a Plymouth and they were still making parts for those cars well into the 50's and 60's... so, it's not so tough. It's also funny that you can buy new parts at some auto stores if you know the modern model number... some times the parts are stocked but, they're under a new number so, the old stock number doesn't show up on their systems.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 1930 Essex three window coupe with a rumble seat... it's a cool car, runs good and isn't missing any parts... but, where is he going to find parts to keep it running? Well, turns out there's a large club called The Hudson, Essex, Teraplane club (HET) and I contacted them about Essex parts on behalf of my friend. I got a few emails in regards to parts and finding parts... turns out there's a man who collects nothing but Essex autos from 1919 to 1933 ('33 was the last year for Essex) turns out he's an engineer for Boeing and he makes his own parts for his cars... makes them right in his own garage which he built.

If you want a vintage car, but, you don't want to be stuck with something you're not going to find parts for, I'd suggest buying something to start with like a Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler... maybe a Ford or Chevy... I find MoPar to be the most reliable. But, they're easy to understand and to find parts for... I'm a member of a web group of guys who own 1946-1949 Plymouth's and Dodges.... most members there have earlier or later autos and of other makes but, the focus on that site is P-15's and D-24's (46-48 Plymouth and Dodge) and the beauty of Plymouth is you can find one in good shape that you can drive right off the bat for some times as low as $3500!

The parts that are hard to find are the ornamental or cosmetic type of parts like trim, chrome pieces, interior plastic dash knobs and window cranks... all those parts can be hard to find... in fact, I found a NOS wiper knob for the dash... cost me $35. bucks! But, it's so worth it!

If you're just getting into old cars, it will save you money in the long run to get something that's all complete and ready to enjoy! You'll save some money... spend what you save on fun accesories for the car;)

=WR=

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check www.kanter.com since they have parts for nearly every car including complete engine rebuild kits. They have a complete online catalog and they'll send you a printed one free. If you are wondering if you should buy a 1948 Pontiac or 1954 Henry J because there might no be repair parts just peruse the Kanter's sight to start with.

It's one of the reasons I bought my Packard- lots of parts availability.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Ok, after I've seen so many great vintage vehicles, I thought I'll tell what I'm going to drive when I turn 18.

A 1955 Lambretta my father baught in the 70s( note this one is not my father's):

Lambretta%20LC%201951_small1.JPG

It's nothing special and won't run faster than 80 km/h, BUT it's vintage!:D

Regards,
Henrik

The real Henry said:
Ok, after I've seen so many great vintage vehicles, I thought I'll tell what I'm going to drive when I turn 18.

A 1955 Lambretta my father baught in the 70s( note this one is not my father's):

Lambretta%20LC%201951_small1.JPG

It's nothing special and won't run faster than 80 km/h, BUT it's vintage!:D

Regards,
Henrik

Is that like the Vespa or made by the same company?

Regards,

J

The real Henry

Practically Family
No. The Lambretta and the Vespa were so to say competitors!

The first was designed by the italian ingeneer Ferdinando Innocenti and the first one was built in 1947. Later they were made under license by NSU.

Regards,
Henrik!

Marv

A-List Customer
Currently own a 2001 Vauxhall Astra, 2004 Fiat Punto and will be collecting a new 2006 BMW Z4 soft-top next week.:)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recently had the winshield replaced on my 96 Eldo and the guy told me on old cars they make a pattern and cut out the needed glass since its obviously doesn't exist in stock anymore. On other applications the glass is custom cut then specially curved to fit. THAT is what makes its expensive:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner