Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage half-belts

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi John,

No, the original buyer for that Monarch goathide Half Belt still has that jacket.

The one you were referring to was a Monarch AN-J-3A. It did not fit the buyer. I listed it and it resold in 3 hours. I've going to be building another one of those here shortly.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

I have just completed the restoration of the pre War era Monarch half belt jacket that spawned my reproduction posted last year. This particular model was Monarch's 1st generation to use a zipper. It is a real favorite of mine.

The jacket had been highly modified & near a basket case when first received. Originally it was chocolate brown in color. That original brown color was dyed black long ago. When I received it the collar had been modified to resemble a Cafe' Racer and all the original belts had been removed.

The jacket's hide is very thick and heavy. So much so that when worn it feels like I'm wearing body armor. Long before I received this jacket it had been in what looked like a Motorcycle accident. This jacket obviously had saved the rider from a terrible case of road rash which resulted in the near destruction of it's original back panel.

It took a good year to source the materials needed to make this happen. In addition, I attached as many bells & whistles as I could possibly find. All tailor made to fit my frame & am pleased with the results.

Wanted to thank Terry Mitchell for alerting me to this jacket being available for purchase. I could not have made this happen otherwise.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

That example of the original late 1930s Monarch half belt I started with.

Then what was to become a goat hide Monarch half belt.

This jacket is sweet.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Hi All,

I have just completed the restoration of the pre War era Monarch half belt jacket that spawned my reproduction posted last year. This particular model was Monarch's 1st generation to use a zipper. It is a real favorite of mine.

The jacket has been highly modified & near a basket case when first received. Originally it was chocolate brown in color. That original brown color was dyed black long ago. When I received it the collar had been modified to resemble a Cafe' Racer and all the original belts had been removed.

The jacket's hide is very thick and heavy. So much so that when worn it feels like I'm wearing body armor. Long before I received this jacket it had been in what looked like a Motorcycle accident. This jacket obviously had saved the rider from a terrible case of road rash which resulted in the near destruction of it's original back panel.

It took me a good year to source the materials to make this happen. I attached as many bells & whistles as I could possibly find. All tailor made to fit my frame & am pleased with the results.

Wanted to thank Terry Mitchell for alerting me to this jacket being available for purchase. I could not have made this happen otherwise.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

Well Dave you are welcome. Now stop showing off and start making more, like one for me!

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Pre-war horsehide from @tmitchell59
1029171247-01.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Dude, you look good! That was a time back wan't it? That one had a Horsehide tag, but no makers label?

The cuff straps make that jacket. Nice color too.

Is that a 42 or so, a 44? I know it is in that range. I will keep you in mind when I look in the closet.

I have many beautiful half-belts in variety of leathers. This is the Style I pursue and typically don't let go of.

I recently got a 30s Windward half-belt, too small and a Rough Wear half-belt, too big. The Rough Wear I can wear, the Windward I can not. The Windward is a more interesting jacket too.

Thanks for posting that jacket. I forgot about this thread.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Vintage Halfbelt

I really like this design, its not as common to see as all the other plain jane 40's HB's, but the back and pockets are off the hook.

B72jkywBGkKGrHqYOKiYEy-S2rMsiBM1buhqYF0_3_zpsf0ade80c.jpg

B72jd6wmkKGrHqQOKm8Ey0pzi46QBM1buU0190_3_zps2f131900.jpg

B72jv3BGkKGrHqIOKiIEzRzyC-coBM1bu28sgQ0_3_zpse69573ac.jpg

i'm looking around to see who will make one for me since they don't make these for sears anymore;).

Johnson Leather will copy it for
You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Dude, you look good! That was a time back wan't it? That one had a Horsehide tag, but no makers label?

The cuff straps make that jacket. Nice color too.

Is that a 42 or so, a 44? I know it is in that range. I will keep you in mind when I look in the closet.

I have many beautiful half-belts in variety of leathers. This is the Style I pursue and typically don't let go of.

I recently got a 30s Windward half-belt, too small and a Rough Wear half-belt, too big. The Rough Wear I can wear, the Windward I can not. The Windward is a more interesting jacket too.

Thanks for posting that jacket. I forgot about this thread.
Yes @tmitchell59 just the horsehide label. 42ish. Very cool jacket and I do love the belted cuffs.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Who do you think made this?
View attachment 205868

I don't know. Looks to be late 30s, maybe a ball and chain zipper pull on the chest. Now I see the grommets on the base of the main zipper, 30s. Probably black Horsehide. Nice button cuffs. Interesting pockets. Looks like it has been worn. Nothing fancy on the front.

The low cut of the pockets is interesting. I have jackets with this look from this time. The jacket is from the late 30s. No guess as to a maker.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know. Looks to be late 30s, maybe a ball and chain zipper pull on the chest. Now I see the grommets on the base of the main zipper, 30s. Probably black Horsehide. Nice button cuffs. Interesting pockets. Looks like it has been worn. Nothing fancy on the front.

The low cut of the pockets is interesting. I have jackets with this look from this time. The jacket is from the late 30s. No guess as to a maker.

Could it be a manipulated photo & he’s wearing a repro? While on the topic, I find Aero’s shoulder to be too narrow, across the board. This guy in the photo, his seam to seam has got to be at least 19”

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Could it be a manipulated photo & he’s wearing a repro? While on the topic, I find Aero’s shoulder to be too narrow, across the board. This guy in the photo, his seam to seam has got to be at least 19”

I don't think the photo has been messed with. The jacket is 30s, I don't know when the picture was taken.

Numbernine

New in Town
New here but love halfbelts. Favorite one I found abandoned on the floor of Winterland in the early 70s amongst the flotsam and jetsam in the stoned aftermath of a Grateful Dead show. It was probably from the 30s or 40s. My girlfriend handstiched a new plaid liner into it and I wore that baby until it literally fell apart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21