Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
newest glam 40's hat

Posted this in the Hats category already, but thought I'd throw it into the Powder Room too. Because I saw this thread last week, I decided to start taking pics of all my vintage hats- primarily 40s, some 30s.

This one arrived yesterday (Sat 3/28/09), wanted to snap a picture to share. Oops,but I forgot to put earrings on! The chubby mink and embroidered gloves are vintage too.
359763381.jpg
DH and I both looked at this up close but cannot truly determine if the birds were real at one time, or were artistically "created". Probably real as that was commonly done for millinery even back in the late 1800's. Love the still intact with no tears or holes full face flock dot brown veiling. Will be fun to wear this one "out and about".

Our 14-1/2 yo dd Sarah thinks its gross that I have dead birds on a hat...lol I think they are way cool...:D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage early 30's raffia hat

I say early due to the type of grosgrain ribbon cockcades on each side of this hat are shown in a book I have on 1920s hat trims. Its interesting that the veiling (what's left of it) is attached into the center of the cockcades. This hat was from an evilBay seller in the UK.

The first pic shows good detail of the grosgrain cockcade trim:
359833824.jpg
This second pic was added in cuz' DH (who takes the pics) thought I looked cute with my head turned back towards him looking over my shoulder. As one may observe here I'm trying to grow my eyebrows out to be more 40s in style than the much thinner 30s look. Hey, I have my earrings on this time!
359833818.jpg

This is the outfit I wore to church today with this hat. The blue polka dot silk charmeuse blouse and navy wool crepe skirt were custom made for me using vintage 40's patterns.
359833802.jpg
359833809.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
ChanteauseCarey, your entire look in those photos is just mindboggling smart! The hats are perfect, as is everything else.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Mojito,

I appreciate the positive feedback, as I've only be wearing true vintage for about a month and a half. Our entire family has embraced it. I'm trying to read as much as I can on FL, its such an excellent resource. There is so much to learn about it all, and so many wonderful hats out there-teehee!;)

Mojito said:
ChanteauseCarey, your entire look in those photos is just mindboggling smart! The hats are perfect, as is everything else.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
here's another, 1940's hat...

This one just arrived on Saturday. The mink fur chubby and the gloves are also vintage 40s. Sorry, but I forgot my earrings for this pic! Hard to tell here, but the intact veiling is also brown like the flocked dots. DH and I looked at the birds closely, we figured they are real (taxidermy?).
359763381.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
1930's raffia

This one was from a seller in the UK. I really like the lavendar color and the purple velvet ribbon. Please excuse the un-vintage hair- my biggest challenge! I just got it repermed so it can hold a curl better, and with a trim its a bit short.
360184776.jpg

360184774.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
Antje said:
I've been seeing a lot of nice hats over here,

i love hats, but I always seem to put my hair up and then think of a hat, :eusa_doh:

Antje, there are hats you can wear with an up do - here are three of mine from when I still had long hair:

White2-1.jpg

White1-1.jpg

Black1-1.jpg

Black2-1.jpg

SmallBlack2-1.jpg

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Carey - That blue ensemble looks divine on you! I really like the hat you picked to go with it.

MissHannah - Those hats are great. I'm particularly fond of the black one with the small spray of feathers.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Staceface...

This blouse is a definite favorite as she custom fitted the muslin first, then made it up in the fashion fabric. I supplied the silk fabric to her. I can sew but am not a pattern fitter or alterer! I'll probably have her make another with short sleeves for warmer weather.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
This one just arrived on Saturday. The mink fur chubby and the gloves are also vintage 40s. Sorry, but I forgot my earrings for this pic! Hard to tell here, but the intact veiling is also brown like the flocked dots. DH and I looked at the birds closely, we figured they are real (taxidermy?).
359763381.jpg
That hat is amazing. Tour whole look here is quite amazing, I just love large veils. The veil is my favorite part of a hat.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
two newish ones...

This first vintage hat is a 40s tilt found recently on evilBay.
Worn for the first time out on Good Friday to church.
361109762.jpg
This red topper was chosen because of the incredible very full veiling and the cute quills and feathers in front. Worn today to Saturday Easter service. Also found on evilBay.
361137899.jpg

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Chanreuse Carey - That is a lovely hat, I adore the little blaack dots and the birds are very unusual and the whole hat is just so flattering on you!

MissHannah - The White one, This is the kind of hat I want, looks stunning on you!

LolitaHaze - Just adorable! Everyone has such wonderful hats! At first I thought the dirty mirror was snow or rain! Oopps!

Note to Self: Buy Hats.

Mojito

One Too Many
Love the latest hats - Miss Hannah's and Lolita Haze's are so very chic (I'd say "cunning" as the word was used in fashion terminology of the time - very smart), and I adore your 40s tilt hat, chanteuseCarey - I'm very partial to densly floral hats when they look like this! The colours and shape of the red topper are lovely as well.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Mojito...

I've ended up getting a few tilts with flowers, they are really cute and you get lots of millinery flowers in a tiny hat for the price! :)

Mojito said:
, and I adore your 40s tilt hat, chanteuseCarey - I'm very partial to densly floral hats when they look like this! The colours and shape of the red topper are lovely as well.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Vintage WEDDING HAT April 19, 1941

I'd had this hat for several weeks, but waited to wear it today April 19, 2009- exactly 68 years to the day when this hat was first worn. It came to me within its original box. A note accompanied the hat saying it had been worn for a wedding in So.Calif on this date. Its quite possible it was never worn again, based on its condition and the condition of the box.

I had my hair set yesterday in a vintage style specific to wearing this hat today. I had a horrible night last night trying to fall asleep with laying my cheek on my hand, so I wouldn't wreck my hair!

But it was worth it all, as I wore the hat to a California Pops Orchestra concert, "The Best of the Big Bands". Our entire family volunteers for this wonderful Orchestra. Many of the attendees, male and female made very nice comments about the hat, and my forties look. My DH wore his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's summer uniform. My blouse and skirt (not seen in the pic) are new but vintage-inspired. The clip earrings and the corde' purse I carried are also vintage pieces.
361915074.jpg

361915093.jpg

361915105.jpg

361917052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael