Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your house looks amazing.
You should use the front room more. :D

The furniture in the front room has always been called "the new furniture." It was a suite of furniture bought when my aunt was old enough to start dating. That was 1920. The finish and upholstery is all original. From the time the family moved into this old house (1917), the "front room" has only been used on Sundays and for special occasions such as Christmas or when special visitors came to call.

Everything in the front room is in excellent shape, and I would hate to "over-use" any of it. Besides, that's the way the room has always been used, and who am I to change this tradition. :)

Stray Cat

Everything in the front room is in excellent shape, and I would hate to "over-use" any of it. Besides, that's the way the room has always been used, and who am I to change this tradition. :)
You know, the strangest thing is: back in the beginning of the 20th century, my people (I mean: regionally) also had exactly that: a "special" room; set up with the "latest" fashion, and equipped with expensive and classy furniture. That room had the best rugs, the nicest tablecloth.. and it was used ONLY when an important guest arrives or when it's a festive time (holidays, Saint days, weddings..).
What is funny n this story is - we called it "the BACK room". Because, in our case, the room was in the back of the house. lol

7755105c4d33bac7c7c923a6b21a7ba9.jpg

7d50da0d3c60e43c5a72522a2e1609a1.jpg

House was built in 1940. I replaced the plaster and wire lathe with drywall. If you don't get too close to the arch, you can't see the poor mud work. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I know about the "space age" style, and I like that one as well, but it would hardly work inside a house like this I'm having. And, I also know there will be a need to hire someone to build me some pieces of furniture (to fit the measurements and style required). But, once furnished with the proper basics.. adding up to it will be easier, right? :D

:thumb:
Knowing what I want was never a problem, the problem is making it all work on the site. lol

You might try looking up "The New Interior; Modern Decoration for the Modern Home" a groundbreaking 1916 book by Hazel Adler, the Interior Decoration editor for The Century Magazine. Her style is clean, fresh, colorful, and is adaptable to quaint and odd homes and cottages, city apartments, and rooms both tiny and large. This book is available on the Internet Archive, though that version lacks the original book's excellent illustrations, many of which are in striking color. The original 1916 edition, which was published by The Century Publishing Company turns up pretty frequently, though, and may usually be found on Amazon for a modest price.

The place looks ready ,Harv! I like the brass deer, can you put candles on their antlers?
Great work on the arch, and on getting in my pocket. I showed the Mrs. the tardis ornament, now guess who has to have one. :)

Thanks Dale! Yes, candles can go in the deers antlers, but it makes one heck of a mess, so we just leave them be.

I would have guessed you already had a TARDIS ornament. :p (Mrs. 1m1 got it for me last Christmas.)

Stray Cat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails