Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your NRA (National Recovery Act) branded items!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How apt.
Ive become more interested in NRA items as of late.
For those who are unaware. The NRA or National (Industrial) Recovery Act (NIRA) was regulation by the President in the early 30s to regulate banks and guide the country out of the Great Depression.

During those few years, there were a slew of products branded in support of The Act. I myself have found a few sewing patterns, and as soon as they get here Ill post them.

Please share your items, and stories if you know them, of your NRA treasures!

LD

texasgirl

One Too Many
I too try to look for items with the NRA label. Since I do reenacting centering on 1934, I know the item is authentic to the time period.

I have some boots! They are just lovely, now if I could get about half of my calf to disappear I could actually wear them :)

bf19_3.jpg
a3f0_3.jpg

And I have a couple hats:
IMG_1630.jpg

This one was so sad- I had to redo the feathers on it
Before
IMG_1670.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

After
IMG_1759.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a tux with the NRA label.
DSC03328.jpg

DSC03324.jpg

I've tried to capture the pattern on the jacket in this pic.
DSC03325.jpg

The pants
DSC03321-1.jpg

DSC03322.jpg

The side pocket buttons shut. I love this feature.
DSC03323.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My items finally came!

nrafront.jpg
nrbuttonback.jpg

Im not too sure this button is real. I think the condition is too good, but then again, who would make repo NRA pins [huh]

Here are the patterns Ive gotten with NRA markers.

jacobanderson8396.jpg
jacobanderson-sleeveless8396.jpg

This one shipped in its original wax paper sleeve! HA!

modernpattern4036.jpg

And this nightgown pattern.

Keep em' coming people!

LD

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The pin is a fake... lol

Seriously, it's real... the one I have is even cleaner then that! Reason being is that they were only worn by supporters of the act... and when the act went bye bye, they either got tossed or put in a drawer and forgotten.

The NRA went only a few years, 1933-1936 so I'm told. Just about everything you could imagine made under that code had that seal. There were stickers all over the place in stores that supported the NRA, also postage stamps; it was printed on magazine covers and all sorts of ads by companies that were “doing their part”. Suits and other items of clothing also had tags with NRA code printed on them along with a number. Only union made clothing makers were part of the New Deal.

Here are the New Deal collectables I own:

vestandtiect7.jpg

tietagoc0.jpg

vesttagxq6.jpg

tcnrabw7.jpg

tcnralogovq4.jpg

nraadgq3.jpg

nracloseupum1.jpg

soupadnrasf5.jpg

articleheadingnrasn9.jpg

Continued next post ->

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
gemrazorku4.jpg

gemrazornracloseupxn4.jpg

Sorry for the slight blur factor... hard to hold the camera still some times.
nrapinsor8.jpg

This would have been seen in the corner of a window to a shop.
nrasignqy4.jpg

A pal of mine owns a complete three piece "fancy back" suit that has never been used! Still has its store tags on it and is an NRA tagged suit.

Also, the Clyde Barrow suit I posted a wile ago also is an NRA suit... That belongs to my other friend... but, I found it one piece at a time! AAARDVARK'S is amazing some times lol Here's a link to the thread for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29802&page=2&highlight=Clyde+Barrow

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Here is a tux with the NRA label.

DSC03324.jpg

Wow! That tux is something! I've seen other tuxes that are NRA but, never a shawl collar job like that... and they seem to be a little narrow for the period... just goes to show that the more you know about an era's fashion, the less you know about the era's fashion! lol

Now, I would suggest folding the pocket square a little different then the "TV" fold... makes an early tux look 50s.:eusa_doh:

K

kpreed

Forgotten Man said:
Did I kill this thread or something? Or is my stuff not good enough? :p
I really do not think you could even if you wanted.
Some great stuff!:eusa_clap I love it. Someday when I can take some photos I would like to share my stuff too.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Great items everyone! Nice coat Dagwood and Forgotten Man, I love the tie! I just remembered I have a tin sign too. Hmm wonder what that got packed in the move? I'll have to look for it. But I think it may be a repro.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Huh, you learn something new everyday! This is fascinating!! I can't even tell you how this has caught my attention - I've got some researching to do! Thank you all for sharing these incredible pieces of history!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I have two hats and a sewing pattern with the NRA label. Not sure if I have anything else. I'll have to check! One of the hats (a ladies panama) it was a surprise to find that on it when it arrived, as it wasn't described.

The great thing is it dates stuff so precisely to 1933 - 1935. In England we have the CC41 label that was put on items from 1942 (they introduced the idea in 1941, hence the 41 bit) until well into the 50s. Lots of people think 'Oh, it MUST be war-time with that label' but in reality, most of it is post war.

Will try to post photos soon of the NRA things.

Feraud

Bartender
Forgotten Man said:
Wow! That tux is something! I've seen other tuxes that are NRA but, never a shawl collar job like that... and they seem to be a little narrow for the period... just goes to show that the more you know about an era's fashion, the less you know about the era's fashion! lol

Now, I would suggest folding the pocket square a little different then the "TV" fold... makes an early tux look 50s.:eusa_doh:
Thanks FM! I will use a more stylish looking pocket square fold when I wear this suit out.

Here is a nice pic of the outfit (on the right) as noted on the black tie guide site.
1935_Nov_Esq.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn