Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your NRA (National Recovery Act) branded items!

Inky

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
The NRA label with the eagle is specifically datable from 1933-1935.

Anything pre or post, go by the union tag numbers, the manufacture or even by the style of the garment.

LD

Thanks LD, I am adding this to my ever-expanding knowledge base :)

How do you tell what era corresponds to the union tag number?

Inky

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
There are some threads in general attire and suits that deal with tag dating. Id suggest those.

Good luck.

LD

Thanks LD - I'll try my hand at finding those and see what I can come up with. Regardless, I like the coat and will wear it in good health :)

Feraud

Bartender
From Bride of Frankenstein.
FRANKENSTEIN-0.jpg

FRANKENSTEIN-1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That NRA card also shows up at the beginning of original prints of "Duck Soup." I once attended a screening at an arthouse where the audience made rude noises at the sight of the logo, having no idea which NRA it referred to.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got some magazines, each keeping in my rule of NRA items under $10

digestcover.jpg

This one has some great articles about the New Deal. Here is one I thought was rather good at describing the layout of the plan, and its allocation of money/powers.

digestcover1.jpg

digestcover2.jpg

digestcover3.jpg

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMG_0716.jpg

I cannot believe I got this for $10! Its in amazing condition and super oversized.

This is 6 months later than the previous mag, and you can see the embrace of the New Deal in the advertising.

Here are a few that were inside.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg

*although this is a drawing, this magazine has some of the most atrocious food photography in it lol

LD

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have 2 new items:

I won this for my husband for valentine's day- it has some great articles!

193420Startling20Detective20Ba.jpg

And I won this hat for $2.99!!!

0f28_1.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
Overcoat is a little small for me, but still nice! 2 buttons fell off, but they are safely being stored in the coat pocket.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice coat, Dagwood.

I got this grocery booklet from Rumford, and was wowed at how the can of powder has not changed over the years. I took this photo with my current can of baking powder.

rumford.jpg

The booklet also came with a Rumford suggestion booklet of what to do with leftovers. Mmmm...

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A "Provisional" member had agreed to do business under the NRA code for their specific industry, and had the right to display the Blue Eagle, but their compliance with the code had not yet been formally certified. This was an indication to consumers of willingness to support the NRA, but not yet full compliance.

"Provisional" can also indicate that the company in question had applied for an exemption from full compliance to certain aspects of their industry's code, usually the wage-hour clauses. If the NRA denied the exemption, they had the choice of fully complying with the code, or giving up their right to display the Eagle.

This catalog was likely being prepared in the spring/early summer of 1933, when the NRA was just getting started, and there were many thousands of Provisional eagles flying around until the administration's staff was able to catch up on all the paperwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails