Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sick and tired of new scrap appliances.

Was that toaster that broke on the first try made in China? I ask that because (I hate to admit it) I bought a Chinese-built alarm clock to be sure to get me up for an important series of meetings, since I didn't want to risk having the dreaded "blinking 12:00" problem.
The third time(!) I wound it up there was a loud clunk and the thing shuddered in my hand. Looking in through a slit in the side I could see the mainspring flopping loose inside it.
Then I went to an antique store and bought a Westclox "Baby Ben" and it's working just fine. Should have done that to begin with.

And the Baby Ben was probably cheaper. :p

Usually, all I do is replace the power cord. If you're going to have a problem, it's likely that the cord is dry-cracked and is exposing wire.

The cords are indeed places where you find problems first. That reminds me, I am currently waiting anxiously to see if my grandmother's old Balkeit floor model radio can be fixed. It is a pretty big mess and the cord was just horrible. :p

A mess how?

The cabinet needs refinishing and pieces replaced. The chasis is rusted and it hasn't worked for at least 40 years. I hope he can get it going because they are fairly rare.
It sat in my garage since my grandmother passed away in 1983. I couldn't let it get thrown out---along with a bunch of other stuff that has been sitting there that long too(roll top desk, dining room table and chairs, steamer trunk etc). :p

rjb1

Practically Family
Since it was at an antique store, the Baby Ben cost more than the piece of Chinese junk (not a ship), but it's hard to compare price since the Baby Ben was worth something, and the Chinese junk was worth less than zero.
I was a bit surprised to hear that repair parts are still available for the Baby Bens and other Westclox products. I will semi-seriously say that the reason that there are so many spare parts left for those is because they don't break.

Since it was at an antique store, the Baby Ben cost more than the piece of Chinese junk (not a ship), but it's hard to compare price since the Baby Ben was worth something, and the Chinese junk was worth less than zero.
I was a bit surprised to hear that repair parts are still available for the Baby Bens and other Westclox products. I will semi-seriously say that the reason that there are so many spare parts left for those is because they don't break.

They really DO NOT break. I went over to my mother's place and got out my old Westclox travel clock---from the 1950s. Wound it up and it still runs and keeps time. lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And if by some miracle they do break, they're constructed in such a way that they're very easy to repair. The Big Ben on my desk had a broken mainspring -- which I was able to repair in about ten minutes with just a screwdriver. The whole spring barrel assembly can be removed without dismantling the clock mechanism and replaced by anyone who knows which end of a screw to turn.

Sounds like it'll take plenty of work to get it going, once again, but it'll be well worth it!

The cabinet needs refinishing and pieces replaced. The chasis is rusted and it hasn't worked for at least 40 years. I hope he can get it going because they are fairly rare.
It sat in my garage since my grandmother passed away in 1983. I couldn't let it get thrown out---along with a bunch of other stuff that has been sitting there that long too(roll top desk, dining room table and chairs, steamer trunk etc). :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The cords are indeed places where you find problems first. That reminds me, I am currently waiting anxiously to see if my grandmother's old Balkeit floor model radio can be fixed. It is a pretty big mess and the cord was just horrible. :p

The Balkeit sets were rather expensive for their performance, but they were beautifully made, and often were sold with stunning Berkey and Gay cabinets.

Which model do you have? I have a couple of Balkeit sets in one of the sheds.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
And if by some miracle they do break, they're constructed in such a way that they're very easy to repair. The Big Ben on my desk had a broken mainspring -- which I was able to repair in about ten minutes with just a screwdriver. The whole spring barrel assembly can be removed without dismantling the clock mechanism and replaced by anyone who knows which end of a screw to turn.

Perhaps your Big Ben. I have three Western Clock Company alarms which are kawaiting new alarm springs, all of which must be entirely taken down to replace this spring. one is an America, a really clean clock which has seen little if any use, the second is one of those good old "Ironclad" alarms, and the third is a Style 1 Big Ben.

Have not time just now for these clocks, as I'm finishing up the restorations of a large number of radios which are going to auction next week.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Perhaps your Big Ben. I have three Western Clock Company alarms which are kawaiting new alarm springs, all of which must be entirely taken down to replace this spring. one is an America, a really clean clock which has seen little if any use, the second is one of those good old "Ironclad" alarms, and the third is a Style 1 Big Ben.

Have not time just now for these clocks, as I'm finishing up the restorations of a large number of radios which are going to auction next week.

My Bens are Style 2, made from 1927 to 32, and the mainspring barrel is held in place on the frame with three screws: take the back off, loosen the case screws, lift out the innards, undo those three screws, wiggle the barrel out, wiggle the new one in, rescrew, put the works back into the case, screw the back back on, and you're done, easy breezy lemon squeezy. The worst that can happen to these models is for the pot-metal base to crack and chip -- nobody makes reproductions of these, so you have to improvise with epoxy and paint if the rot strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points