Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

silk ribbon - why not?

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I'm curious as to why silk ribbon seems to have never been used on mens hats, or at least from the early twentieth century up to now. Is it just the cost (2.5x cotton grosgrain)? Because other than that, it's readily available, comes in endless colors, and is attractive, IMO. There is also the obvious precedent of silk ties.

Are there any examples of golden era hats that used silk ribbon?

Joel

Sunny

One Too Many
I believe silk shapes very poorly to the taper of the crown, even if ironed and steamed. Just a guess.

- An ordinary seamstress

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to my 1936/37 catalog of Stetson offerings,
the No. 1 Quality used silk ribbons. The ribbon was pretty
thick weave, with wide rows.

The Knox Milano I picked up recently appears to have
a raw silk pugaree.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Joel, I have seen hats with silk ribbons from the past but most are thin ( 1" or less). The reason is that it won't "curl" making it pucker at the top of the crown ribbon. The same problem occurs with pure rayon ribbon. There are still some that use them occasionally ( I think Graham at Optimo offers it) but it's not the norm. Cost may also be a part, but workability is at the heart.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
My question came out of the idea that with silk ribbon, at least you can easily acquire "the best" quality out there, albeit for a cost. With grosgrain, "the best" is simply inaccessible.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Feraud, it's not about extra work but rather "job well done" in my book. You can work your butt off to get it right and still not be satisfied if the ribbon won't cooperate. I'm sure I have a few silk ribbons here and do ocasionally use them for the color ( Joel, I just checked and the copper ribbon on your Mojave hat is silk) but they are a real pain. Would I offer it? sure, but remember that I use vintage ribbon so I would have to find a stash somewhere or it wouldn't fit the concept.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Although I'm by no means an expert on silk Chanfan it's my understanding that there are different compounds/combinations used for silk and in some cases I'm sure you are right, but not all. I wish I could clarify more but don't have the background. Any silk experts on the Lounge?

Topper

Vendor
Silk was the main material used, either a petersham, or grosgrain or plain ribbon. Alot of my of hats ( they vary from 50 to 100+ year old) that have a non-mourning band are infact silk ribbon. Even the traditional Panama was a black silk ribbon.

Some of the ones with pure silk ribbon & grosgrain do not always come with bows, this may be due to the curling, but also could just be style.

Silk is expensive to make, hence the introuction of Rayon, which started to take over, and moreso polyester in the cheapest hats.

Now there are very few silk ribbon weavers left who are prepared to even make it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany