Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk tie and liquid soap stain!

matei

One Too Many
Argh! Some liquid hand soap dribbled on my new Burberry tie... I tried to get it out with a little bit of water... No dice, the slight stain is still there.

Darn it - to stain my tie with soap, jeez...

Any suggestions? It is a very soft tie, light coloured.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
matei said:
Argh! Some liquid hand soap dribbled on my new Burberry tie... I tried to get it out with a little bit of water... No dice, the slight stain is still there.

Darn it - to stain my tie with soap, jeez...

Any suggestions? It is a very soft tie, light coloured.

Dry cleaner.

If its silk, its gonna pool a stain of water around the stain, unless you are gifted and can blur the stain out around its edge with a dab of water and your finger. But Id just nip the expermentation off and have it dry cleaned.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Most/all dry cleaners butcher ties. Tiecrafters in NYC(www.tiecrafters.com) are magicians at removing stains but unfortunately they have no UK counterpart, though you could ship them the tie for cleaning.

matei

One Too Many
My wife picked up these "magic" wipes from Marks & Sparks, they're meant to clean silk but work very well on all sorts of things. They're small pads imbibed with a naphtha mixture, and they did a so/so job. It is the grease or colourant in that *$&% soap that won't come out.

I stopped in to our dry cleaner and had a word with the lad there, he said that it should come out and that he'll include a note with the tie to treat it with extra care... Hmmm... we'll see.

:eek:fftopic: - anyone here in the UK - those pads from M&S are great for removing grease spots. My wife was sauteeing (?) scallops last night when she got butter/grease on her new shirt. A few dabs and no more spots. Fantastic...

magneto

Practically Family
Pilgrim said:
We've had such good luck with naphtha on hats; I wonder about ties??

In my old household books I see naptha *soap* recommended for cleaning silk (claiming it will remove "most stains from white silk, including paint stains", and the straight stuff for soiled gloves and upholstered furniture. However it also recomends washing silk and other textiles in "gasoline or benzine." (?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo