Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singing the Praises of the Esterbrook Fountain Pen

Since the LA Pen Show 2/15/09 where Shellie picked up a couple of Esterbrooks I have been revisiting some of mine and have 4 of them inked. A silver LJ, a black Bell System LJ, a black SJ and a copper colored Dollar pen.

I popped out the nibs on them so they have 3 of the #9668 General Writing Mediums and one 2668 General Writing Medium.

As mentioned here and in other fountain pen threads, the Esterbrooks featured a replaceable nib feed unit that screws in and out easily. This feature allows one to replace a ruined nib or change to a different style of writing quickly and easily. Esterbrook started as a steel nib manufacturer for DIP pens and when they jumped to fountain pens they made this system to allow for a multitude of choices of nib styles that is greater than any manufacturer today. (Go and see the nib chart at the website listed below for the big list!)

The replaceable nib feed units are refered to as "Renew Points" and there were 3 feed designs described as thin flat, medium flat, and round styles. There are photos or drawings on line showing the change going early to late.

There are five series of Renew Point that were available. These fountain pen nibs have a four digit number to indicate what type of nib it is and there are charts that describe the different points by the writing style.

The 1000 and 2000 series were marketed as DuraCrome Points and are all steel including the tip the little ball on the front that is the shaped writing surface. They do not have a hardened material like "Iridium" for the point. While not as long lasting as the iridium type, they write really remarkably well but this is beause of the Esterbrook experience in making nibs even before there were fountain pens.

The 3000 series are known as sunburst style and use Osmiridium as the tipping ball. I think the sunburst comes from the orange box they came in. They are pretty rare to find.

The 8000 series is similar to the 3000 and used a palladium alloy as the tipping material and were made during WWII. These are very rare to find.

The 5000 series are for the Dip-Less desk pens which are actually dip pens not fountain pens.

Finally the 9000 series are their top of the line Renew Point nibs and were marketed as Master Point nibs made with an iridium tip. They cost significantly more than the 1000 & 2000.

Here is a really good chart from the Snyder Family, their comments follow what the experts say and I have included the jist of them above.

http://www.snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm

This chart is the one they had on the top of the storage box, it has a sample of writing with the description too. Unfortunately it's a little hard to make out. I copied it as a photo and have an enlargement in my photos someplace.

http://www.vintagepens.com/esterbrook_nib_chart.shtml

So if you are of the type that doesn't believe a steel nib can be a good writer you should try an Esterbrook with a 1000, 2000 or 9000 series nib that is in good condition, they are really great to use.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I love my Estie's, All J's, a dark copper [root beer], Blue, Dubonnet Red, Fern Green, they made me realize what a really great value they are. They fit my hand much better than the Sheaffer Balance too.

DerMann

Practically Family
It seems almost necessary for one to acquire an Esterbrook in one's fountain pen career. However, I have neglected to do so, and really ought to in the near future.

Correct me if I'm wrong (going from memory here), but the sun burst moniker may be because of the patter found on the nib. Again, I may be completely wrong, but I remember seeing a picture of a nib and it had rays extending outward from the middle of the nib, and they were coloured orange or yellow, ergo sun burst.

Something like this:

esterbrook8000nib600.jpg

Also, it is quite possible to purchase the fine flexible nibs for a decent price (one much lower than purchasing a pen with a flexible nib).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've used Esterbrooks since high school -- bought my first in a drugstore for $1.98. It had probably been sitting on the shelf for twenty years by the time I got it, but it worked fine until somebody stole it. They're probably still using it today. The one I have now is probably late-40s vintage, but has never given me a bit of trouble. Current nib is a 2556 Fine.

Way back when I had illusions of being a cartoonist one day, I drew with Esterbrook Falcon 048 nibs -- still have a box of them sitting in my desk drawer in case I ever get the itch to draw again.

DerMann said:
It seems almost necessary for one to acquire an Esterbrook in one's fountain pen career. However, I have neglected to do so, and really ought to in the near future.

Correct me if I'm wrong (going from memory here), but the sun burst moniker may be because of the patter found on the nib. Again, I may be completely wrong, but I remember seeing a picture of a nib and it had rays extending outward from the middle of the nib, and they were coloured orange or yellow, ergo sun burst.

Something like this:

esterbrook8000nib600.jpg

Also, it is quite possible to purchase the fine flexible nibs for a decent price (one much lower than purchasing a pen with a flexible nib).
Thanks for showing that detail.

While I have one I have not examined it with the magnifier yet. These eyes need reading glasses! So details like that I either have to take off my regular gasses and hope to see them or get the reading glasses out and hope to see them. (I just found one of my big magnifiying glasses and I am still missing one of my traveling magnifiyers.)

Suggestion: Look for some more nibs for your Estie!

Although, there are not as many renew Points around as before there are still a fair amount out there. Ebay is one place to check and some of the on line pen stores carry the replacement nibs. I have about 8 new or barely used nibs of 4 different types in my collection if needed for a swap out.

If you get a chance to buy a different Renew Point to try it out and see if you like the style of nib, it would be good to have spares on hand for the future.

Their Flex nibs are really nice, I have both a 2048 and a 9048 which are noted as shaded writing which means they are flex fine points. However for me it takes a very concentrated effort to utilize the flex in a meaningful way. I have a 3312 which is a medium italic but it is the type of Italic where you have to hit the right angle to get it to write well and that angle doesn't correspond to my natural hold. ( Ihave the same problem with a Pelikan M600 with a double broad Oblique, when the angle is right the line is perfect, BUT...)

I usually go to see Fred at the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia (Formerly of Los Angeles) for replacements and recently got 2 of the 9668 General Writing nibs that I am most pleased with they are smooth writing and not considered a hard to find specialty nib.

I have several more esterbrooks in my collection and need to see what nibs they have. You never really know what nib to expect on a "found in the wild" fountain pen as the collectors say.

I have used Esterbrooks as gifts since they are inexpensive and well made plus have a cool history as a bulletproof fountain pen. I hope this helps the novices to see that the Esterbrook is a great pen and while not like those top of the line Parkers, Shaeffers and Watermans still has a fantastic history of writing for government, school, business, industry. It was and still is a friend to the common man (or woman) as family pen, student pen and working pen.

shortbow

Practically Family
My everyday walking around pen is a LJ in green with a 1554 nib. I really like it, but every now and then, it loses its wee mind and gobs up a really thick line for a few words after being freshly uncapped from my pocket. Any idea why this is and how to fix it?

shortbow said:
My everyday walking around pen is a LJ in green with a 1554 nib. I really like it, but every now and then, it loses its wee mind and gobs up a really thick line for a few words after being freshly uncapped from my pocket. Any idea why this is and how to fix it?
Usually this has to do with some type of a pressure/tempurature change. One thing is to check that the tiny breather hole along the side of the cap is not blocked so that the pressure is always equalized in the cap.

Some of mine.

These are most of my Esterbrook pocket fountain pens I have another SJ in green that leaks and needs repair. I also have 3 desk fountain pens from Esterbrook.

The black one on the left is a dollar pen from around 1936 it has no jewels on the top or bottom.

The J model has a jewel on the cap but none on the bottom some people call it a transitional model.

Those with jewels on the top and bottom are LJ's and SJ's plus they made Slim ones the second to the left is slim and marked BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY!

EsterbrookPocketpens309001.jpg

All of those Esterbrooks are inked and I have replaced their nibs with either 2000 series nibs or 9000 series new old stock nib if the original did not suit my writing.

I have found I like 2668 & 9668 mediums and 9460 mediums also the 9968 broad nib for their smooth writing. The black dollar pen has a very rare WWII era 8668 series nib that is great to write with.

shortbow

Practically Family
Oy. I think I've discovered why my pen glops occasionally. Happens when I inadvertently catch the lever on the edge of my pocket when slipping it in there.:eusa_doh:

John in Covina said:

The Dollar pens have no jewels on either end and the clip changed from one larger hole to two holes. There are small changes to the pen that can be used to date them to with in a year or a couple of years.

The J pens which some call transitional are with a jewel on the cap but none on the bottom of the body.

The various LJ's and SJ's have jewels on either end with some slim models in there too. They made others earlier and in the war years has twist fillers to save on metal.

Cool pens these Esterbrooks. Paul Hoban who lives nearby in San Dimas and is a sometime member of the SCPCC wrote a great book on them with color plates and lifesized pictures that is very helpful.

JasonCT

New in Town
I too love Esterbrook pens!

I won one that has its original case and was owned by a nun (I assume as she singed the case Sr. Mary ***) - I often think about where that pen has been, what kind of notes it wrote.

You certainly can find some great vintage fountain pens and parts online for rather little money. Another fun addiction to add to the many ;)

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Yes, the J "Transitional" Esties did have just the cap jewel, and the early ones had a very nice, yet fragile ribbed jewel. The SL is the slim diameter pen and shorter than the J, while the LJ is has the same thin diameter, but is as long as the J pens.

I am also the proud owner of on on Paul's books that he personally inscripted and autographed to me on the inside cover. ;)

Here is my collections of Esties, I wanted to pick up all the colors of the transitional line pens. The there is a green SJ and you just have to have a Bell phone pen when you have a bell phone on your desk, right?

1_38091.jpg

What nibs do you like?

I have found that i personally like the way the 2668 and 9668 nibs write they are the firm medium general writing ones. I have a 9460 which is a manifold (carbon copies type of firm) medium that is smooth too. I do also like the 9968 which is for firm broad script a great addressing envelopes nib.

What nibs do you like from Esterbrook?

shortbow

Practically Family
J, really like that copper colored pen. As to nibs I've a 1554 and a 9668. Would like to find a fine flexible, but the couple I've found on the bay went for as much as an entire pen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner