Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size 44 1930's half belt and size 42 1950's half belt measurements

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what the shoulders and pit to pit are of a standard:

Size 44 1930's half-belt

Size 42 1950's half belt

And am I right in thinking that a size 40 Highwayman would fit more like a 42? Pit to pit being 22.5 inches?

Cheers

Edward

Bartender
Can't help you on the first two... My 30s hb, Bootlegger and HWM are all Size 42. The HWM is distinctly boxier than the others. Maybe comparable measurement to a size up on the HB, though personally I would be disinclined to size down on a HWM to get a less boxy fit: they're supposed to be cut like that, and it might look off. I'd stick to the hbs if you want a neat cut.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like slightly too large jackets. Heresy I know, but I can't help my preferences. I've had a lot of fitted jackets too but I've never much liked the look.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I like slightly too large jackets. Heresy I know, but I can't help my preferences. I've had a lot of fitted jackets too but I've never much liked the look.

Everything turns. The fashion has been for well fitted jackets for about ten years now, and all the dedicated followers of fashion will be dressing like people did in the eighties soon in jackets hanging off them. I prefer a more comfortable slightly looser fit in leather jackets too.

It's always best to stick to something like an authentic cut and fit IMO. A fifties fit for a highwayman and a thirties one for an thirties jacket style. Changing a style to suit current fashion makes it obsolete very quickly. Like those seventies A2 style jackets which were far too slim and had massive collars.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Everything turns. The fashion has been for well fitted jackets for about ten years now, and all the dedicated followers of fashion will be dressing like people did in the eighties soon in jackets hanging off them. I prefer a more comfortable slightly looser fit in leather jackets too.

It's always best to stick to something like an authentic cut and fit IMO. A fifties fit for a highwayman and a thirties one for an thirties jacket style. Changing a style to suit current fashion makes it obsolete very quickly. Like those seventies A2 style jackets which were far too slim and had massive collars.

Yep. And in the end most jackets can be worn a size too large without it being too obvious. It's when the patterns are sloppy that the trouble begins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred