Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing question

jay_b

Familiar Face
Hi all,

So my hat hunt continues and amazingly last night one came up on ebay that I was taking a serious look at already, but it's only a fraction of the cost and is brand new.

The only problem I can see is that it may be slightly big for me. Is there a way to "shim" the head band so essentially it would come down a size or partial size? ( 7 1/2 to 7 3/8)

Thanks guys and gals!

The hat is a Scala furfelt. Looks kinda like this but in black:
f13kaki.jpg

Sure, you can place fabric or folded currency (mad money) or any number of things under the sweatband to size it down a bit. There's a thread or two here where this topic is discussed. My favorite observation was the one about finding a piece of period newspaper under the sweatband of an old hat.
Sizes tend toward inconsistency, by the way. They're a decent general guide, but you really don't know how a hat will fit until you try it on. If you really want the hat, and the price is right, don't let a slightly too-large size dissuade you.

jay_b

Familiar Face
Thanks a lot for the replies!!

That's pretty much what I figured, but I thought I'd better check with the experts to be sure.;)

You know when I first started looking at the larger brim hats that I really liked, I had some reservations about it looking out of place or too much like a cowboy hat because I'm not a very big guy. (only about 5'7" and 130 lbs.) But I found a very useful technique is to photoshop a pic of yourself and the hat. It's good enough to give an idea of how it will look.

Thanks again.:cheers1:

HatNPipe

New in Town
Foam Strips

I'm using thin foam strips. I found a foam sheet that lined the bottom of the box from a motherboard I bought. I razored it into one-inch wide strips. The headband eventually began to conform to my noggin, and I was able to remove the strips completely.

JP
(first post, be gentle)

jay_b

Familiar Face
Good news!!!

I won the bidding, got it for $18.50, so assuming it really is new and in as good a shape as the pics show I got a pretty good deal.

I'll be sure and post pics when it arrives.

Thanks again for your help all!:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart