Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Captain Review!!!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Well there really is no way to easily review Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It is not a film that can be compared to others because it is a wholly unique experience, both visually and narratively. Director Kerry Conran has been very open about the fact that this film draws inspiration from Lucasfilms like Indiana Jones and Star Wars, but pulls even more of its feel and structure from the very same sources that inspired George Lucas?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ two big franchises: Adventure serials and sci-fi comic books of the 1930s.

Sky Captain spins a tale set in a retro-futuristic 1939 world. Zeppelins fill the skyways and everyone wears trench coats and fedoras. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not one to give away movies for the ignorant, but I will provide some basic information to set you up for this great film.

Our adventure begins in New York City where ace reporter for the New York Chronicle, Polly Perkins, receives a message to meet a Dr. Jennings who warns her that an evil Dr. Totenkopf, whom he knew during the Great War (World War I), is hunting him and his former colleagues. Before she can get more information from him, massive mechanical robots assault New York City and attempt to steal its electric generators. The city summons Sky Captain, daredevil pilot and mercenary for hire, to save the city and solve the mystery of the attack.

Beyond that, I really don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to give anything away story-wise for all of you. This movie is truly that good. The movie truly captures the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìwhiz-bang?¢‚Ǩ? feel of 1930s entertainment, and in a way that has not been achieved since Indiana Jones and The Rocketeer. The entire film has been digitally created so that Conran could fully realize the stylized ?¢‚Ǩ?ìretro-future?¢‚Ǩ? that was such a signature staple of 1930s literature, comics, and films.

The most apparent 1930s aspects are the settings and the pace of the action. Beautiful art deco architecture, 30s automobiles, P-40 Kittyhawks whizzing by at breakneck speed, exploding Zeppelins everywhere, and of course the period costuming. No detail has been overlooked. There is a shot of Sky Captain?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s P-40 taxiing into a massive hangar, and some of the tiny glass windows in the hangar doors are broken as was common with doors of that type. Sky Captain even wears the correct Mk VIII flight goggles so popular with 1930s aviators.

Serial fans will also enjoy Sky Captain?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s quest to find Totenkopf, which has a distinct Indy flavor, the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìmaps?¢‚Ǩ? superimposed over the scenes during travel sequences, Polly Perkins?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ love-hate relationship with the brave Captain, the crazy chases, escapes and the films unbelievable climax. The film has all the aspects of a 30s adventure and the dialogue of a 30s comedy with just the right amount of wit and whimsy for lovers of an age in cinema that has not been seen in a long time.

The film draws from many golden era sources for its visual construction. The cinematography is reminiscent of Fritz Lang?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Metropolis and the introductory shots of the robot attack echo the 1940s Max Fleischer Superman animated short, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Mechanical Monsters.?¢‚Ǩ? Vintage aviation enthusiasts will thrill to the extremely accurate digital renderings of the aforementioned P-40 and some very impressive B-24 Liberators in the backgrounds.

Ultimately, Sky Captain is its own animal, the definitive homage to 1930s science fiction, just as Raiders of the Lost Ark is the ultimate homage to 1930s adventure serials.

Grab your flying goggles, strap in, and enjoy the ride. See Sky Captain. You will not be disappointed.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Wow!

I am seeing it tonight. I am really excited now. Thank you for the review Mr. French. I know your taste in films and your sensibilities in regards to the golden era. I have heard from various colleagues that it is a good flick...but I have been holding back my excitement not wanting to be disapointed. Now I can throw caution to the wind and let my emotions run away with me.;)

Imahomer

Practically Family
My friend was going to take me out for my birthday, but since I was out of the country, she is taking me to see this tomorrow. She told me that it was my kind of movie and it sounds like she is 100% right!

Dalexs

Practically Family
I'm not sure I can or want to add too much more to what MDFrench said, except WOW!

I took my 7yo to see it this afternoon and I was quite amazed.

The look and feel of the entire movie really was amazing.
It pays homage to quite a few movies of the past, so keep a look out for those golden moments.

A number of times Dave was on the edge of his seat and gasping at all of the right times. It was quite fun.

As we left the theater, I heard him humming the theme (although he denies it.) I had a big smile on my face!

Movies today, especially for kids his age, pretty much spell everything out for them. This movie allowed him to look ahead and say "Hmmm, I don't think THAT was a good idea!"

However, I probably wouldn't take very young kids to this movie. There were some loud explosions, etc. And what could be deemed scary for little kids.

Overall, a good time was had by all!

Dalexs

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Definately a classic sci-fi adventure in the vein of a 30's radio drama. I saw it for the second time with MK and Root last night at the Chinese in Hollywood.

because the movie was completely digital except for the actors and actresses, my brain kept scampering around for the wrong reasons. The second time around I paid attention to the story more so... sort of opposite of what usually happens when I watch a film.

I believe the film would have been a bit smoother as a sci-fi if Sky Captain flew a plane that was a little more retro-futuristic instead of a real plane in the midst of incredable technology. him having a P-40, for me, grounded the film a little too much into the world of now.

Oh yeah, and Gweneth Paltrow looked fantastic, though she had her hat on backwards.

All in all I would rate it up there with The Phantom.
Because the movie was digital, It had a sort of empty feel for me. nothing was there accept graphic designers and computers. I could easily think of this as a made for TV miniseries.

I liked it.
Go see it!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I'd have to respectfully disagree with Deckard on one point. I think Sky Captain was worlds above The Phantom as far as 1930s adventure is concerned. For the first time in modern cinema, we have a film that fully realizes the aesthetic of the 1930s vision of the future.

Also, the P-40 was great because it grounded Sky Captain in the actual time of the film and made the technology and discoveries around him all the more fantastic. That and well... P-40s are dang cool!

Regards,
Mike

Nick Charles

Practically Family
When logic takes over

I loved the movie to but logic got the best of me at the end. If the robot were so advanced and the inventor was so smart couldn't he have made his own generators rather than steal them from under the city????

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Yes,

That is a slight logic trap...but I looked at it this way. He was already spending massive amounts of time and manhours designing and building a rocket for all those beasts, he had to collect these beasts at the same time, he had to make the robots to get the beasts in a reasonable amount of time, he was trying to figure out the dymanics and science of space travel, and the list goes on.

He had a lot on his plate. Why take up more man hours making generators and resources when you can just steal those and tick it off the list?

Imahomer

Practically Family
I saw it today and I'm ready to see it again. For me if I'm watching a movie and I'm thinking "boy, I can hardly wait to get this on DVD" then it's a good movie. I want this movie for my collection.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I also really enjoyed this movie! It was fun to try and place it in time. As was stated above, it took place after WWI, but probably just before WWII. Sky Captain himself was flying around in a pre-WWII fighter (h11od), and there was mention of himself and "Frankie" being part of the "volunteers" in China.
Normally I get a bit aggrevated with unrealistic stuff, like the P-40s manuvering like F-16s in Pearl Harbor, but in this case the whole world was so fantastic, it just made the movie more exciting.
Gwenneth Paltrow's pain-in-the-butt reporter character was a dead ringer for Max Fleischer's Lois Lane! BTW, Star Wars fans, Did any of you notice the number on the door to Dr. Jenning's office? ;)

Dalexs

Practically Family
Thank you PrettyBigGuy!

Like I said, this movie paid homage to many movies of the past.

The robots themselves look like they're straight out of a Max Fleischer cartoon. And anyone who has not seen any of the Fleischer superman cartoons, you don't know what you're missing. They are available on tape now.

I also saw alot of style similar to Batman: The Animated series (the original) which always had a great look!

Yeah, this is definately one for he DVD collection.

Phewey on those who can't just suspend their disbelief for 90 minutes... just enjoy the experience!

Dalexs

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I was finally able to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow this past weekend. Absolutely loved it! I hope I'm able to see it again soon. What fun!

I watched a documentary on the construction of the Empire State building a couple years or so ago on the Discovery Channel. The tall steeple at the top of the ESB was originally designed for docking air ships! It was totally killer to see this realized in SC&tWoT since logistical reality kept it from ever happening.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Loved the movie but...

I loved those sepia tones that set the mood from the start, and Polly was a real dish, but still doesn't carry a Fedora off as well as my lovely wee pal in the US, who looks absolutely 'knock out' in one.

Anyway, great atmosphere about this film, but the thing that bugged me was the historical mix-ups with it being 1939 and using titles from German SS units (Totenkoph), then talking about the Sky Capt having served with the AVG in China (against the Japs) and about Polly reporting on the Fall of Singapore (in WW2), mmm or was that Shanghai (does make a difference!), anyway the AVG reference just throws it out of cinc!!

I liked his RAF flying helmet as used in the 1940 BoB!! but not really an American piece of headwear in that style for that year! the guys in his unit wore A-2's and USAAC outfits, but didn't seem to be part of that (described as mercenaries!)...all very befuddling!!

Anyway, at the end of the day, why pick holes in these things, as it's all make believe and escapism, and sometimes you just have to suspend belief!

I really enjoyed it guys and it's tempting me to get a barnstormer flight jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo