Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleep Baby Sleep

JennyLou

Practically Family
I was wondering if any one knows of the song or any recordings out there of Guy Lombardo's "Sleep Baby Sleep (In You Jeep)". I first heard it on an old vhs I have about the movie Stage Door Canteen which has all the performances on it but I don't think the song was in the actual film. I love this song and I have been trying to find a recording of it on cd, record or cassette. I do know that it is Guy Lombardo's younger sister singing the vocals on this song. If anyone nows about this song or where I could find it please let me know. Thank you.

Jenny Lou

in/y

One of the Regulars
I checked my VHS copy of the movie and it does include the tune played by Guy Lombardo. Unfortunately, the print that was used for this tape has a splice during the tune so it jumps once. Also in the film, there are a couple of lines of dialog during the song which you may not want.

I can't say if Guy Lombardo ever made a studio recording of "Sleep Baby Sleep" or not. You could try and hunt down Dave Kressley and Charles Garrod's discography of the Lombardo orchestra to confirm that a studio version exists. The Discography runs in 4 volumes with Volume 1 (1924-1945) or Volume 2 (1946-1950) being the most likely to have it listed.

The Official title of the discography is, "Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians" published by Joyce Record Club in 1995.

Many libraries have an inter-library loan service where the library will borrow something for you from another library that actually has what you need. Depending on the library, there may be a fee involved. I wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

I also did find that you can purchase some volumes of the discorgaphy from the Metolius Music Company (who seem to have taken over the Joyce Record Club publications) in Portland Ore. Unfortunately, they only list volumes 2-4 being for sale. Their site is:http://www.metoliusmusic.com/

Just use Lombardo in the "search for publications" search box near the top/right of the page to get the discography listings.

Hope that helps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda